Blackberry maker RIM was the biggest winner in a slowing smartphone market in the second ... Nokia News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

RIM Trumps Nokia In Smartphone Market: Gartner (5.6 million BB's During Q2)

Advertisement

Blackberry maker RIM was the biggest winner in a slowing smartphone market in the second quarter, roughly doubling its market share from a year ago to 17.4 percent, research firm Gartner said on Monday.

The market was still dominated by Finland's Nokia Oyj , which sold 15.3 million phones with capabilities like e-mail and navigation, giving it a 47.5 percent share. But this was down from 50.8 percent a year ago as competition intensified in the consumer smartphone market.

Reuters reports that RIM sold 5.6 million smartphones during the second quarter of 2008. In the year-ago quarter, it sold 2.5 million. That's some serious growth. In order to make those gains, someone had to lose out, and it turns out Nokia saw a drop in smartphone sales when comparing the same periods. It slipped to 47.5% of the smartphone market during the second quarter, compared to the commanding 50.8% it held a year ago.

"RIM continued to execute well at the consumer level, increasing its global market reach," Gartner analyst Roberta Cozza said in a statement.

[Read More]

planneau no está en línea Stack level 5
    YUP!

I should have bought some RIM stocks last year......DAMMIT!
    ..........SHAKE N BAKE..........

macallik no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    We are climbing on up there. Just wait for these new devices on the horizon, there will be a bunch or crack fiends.....

Jelly no está en línea Stack level 2
    [FONT=Verdana]Have we seen graphics from this phone yet in detail? I am wondering when RIM is going to figure out that business users and others I am sure, need to know what letters correspond to what numbers while using the phone. For example you call into a company and have to enter in the persons name you are calling using the number pad. It would help if RIM placed a graphic on the screen letting us know what that is. I simply do not want to take the time to know that the name Smith is equal to 76484.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Thanks,[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Jelly[/FONT]

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    That IS impressive growth and the sales numbers are something that I had wondered about and been too lazy, I guess, to look up. Thanks for the report, Hayden.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

thymaster no está en línea Stack level 3
    I expect RIM to double that number in Q3 and Q4 with the release of the international BB Bold.

dj_polak15 no está en línea Stack level 3
    woooooo!!!

adam.sn no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    4c7dab38
    Just hold down alt and spell the word with the keypad. The phone figures it out for you

Quote Originally Posted by Jelly View Post
    [FONT=Verdana]Have we seen graphics from this phone yet in detail? I am wondering when RIM is going to figure out that business users and others I am sure, need to know what letters correspond to what numbers while using the phone. For example you call into a company and have to enter in the persons name you are calling using the number pad. It would help if RIM placed a graphic on the screen letting us know what that is. I simply do not want to take the time to know that the name Smith is equal to 76484.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Thanks,[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Jelly[/FONT]