Mozilla announced that Firefox is now available for Nokia’s Maemo platform. Nokia N900 owners can ... Nokia News forum
Full version of Firefox for Mobile Now Available on Maemo Platform
Mozilla announced that Firefox is now available for Nokia’s Maemo platform. Nokia N900 owners can enjoy many of the same Firefox features they know and love on the desktop on their mobile device.
Firefox for mobile features include:
- Awesome Bar – Go to your favorite sites in just a couple of keystrokes with intelligent and personalized searching.
- Weave Sync – Sync your Firefox tabs, history, bookmarks and passwords between your desktop and mobile device for a seamless browsing experience.
- Add-ons – Customize your Firefox by adding small pieces of functionality, like games and news readers, that help make the mobile Web browser your own.
- Location-Aware Browsing – Get maps and information relevant to your location.
- Tabbed browsing – View open tabs as thumbnails to easily identify and select the Web page you’d like to go to next.
- Safe Browsing – Get an Instant Web Site ID and easily access and edit security settings.
- Available in more than 30 languages and counting.
Firefox is the first mobile Web browser to support add-ons. With add-ons, you can customize your Firefox by adding features that help make your browser your own. Add-ons like AdBlock Plus, URL Fixer, TwitterBar, language translators, and geo guides become especially handy when you’re out and about on your mobile device. You can both discover and install add-ons directly from your Nokia N900. There are currently more than 40 Firefox add-ons available for mobile and the number is growing every day.
There is also a YouTube Enabler add-on from within the Add-ons Manager. Tap on the install button, restart Firefox, and you’re all set to watch YouTube videos.
Firefox is currently supported on Nokia’s Maemo5 platform and is available for download on the Nokia N900. Users can download and learn more by visiting Firefox.com/mobile. Visit the FAQ for more information.
Download Firefox for Maemo by visiting Firefox.com/m on your Nokia N900. You can also go to Firefox.com/mobile and send an SMS text message that contains the download link directly to your Nokia N900. If you don't have an N900 you can download a build of Firefox for mobile to your desktop in order to test, provide feedback, and build add-ons. Desktop builds are for development purposes only and don't have full functionality:
Check out some of the soon to be supported smartphone platforms for Firefox Mobile.
Looking forward to getting this on Android, looks like it's gonna be a while yet though.
And on Blackberry, I believe it's still rumored to be coming.
On their site it says never for BB and iPhone
I can understand why this won't be available on iPhone... because of Safari, but confused as to why from the very beginning they seemed not to have much interest in Firefox for Blackberry platform.
I really don't think iPhone will be missing out on much however I would love for bb's to get this. The browser's seriously dinasaur like. It's ancient
Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16