PCWorld.com : Moribund Palm, in danger of becoming just a Windows Mobile running dog with ... Palm News forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Smartphone Smackdown: Apple iPhone vs. Palm Pre

Advertisement

PCWorld.com: Moribund Palm, in danger of becoming just a Windows Mobile running dog with lackluster handhelds, seems to have scored with its introduction this week of the Palm Pre 3G smartphone, powered by the new webOS operating system. But how does it stack up against Apple's iPhone?

For the Pre, Palm created a more capable Web browser than its previous offerings. And the company seems to have designed the phone to be smoothly and deeply integrated with the Web sites, data and applications mobile users increasingly rely upon.

Overall, the Pre seems to be a match for the iPhone in many areas. The question is whether Palm's Web integration focus represents a "user experience" advance that can draw and hold end users.

"It's not an iPhone killer, nor a BlackBerry killer, but it doesn't need to be," says Avi Greengart, research director, mobile devices, for Current Analysis, who spent about an hour actually using a Pre. "It builds on Palm's heritage of building the best personal information management devices. And they're extending this beyond a single data store, to all the places [on the Web] where you have information, like LinkedIn or seven different e-mail accounts."

[read more]

PIN/ID
    AskMe

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    The Pre won the majority of the smackdown. The only problem and I agree with the author of the article, is that it seems like Sprint and Palm are heavily involved and Palm doesn't seem to care about us GSM users.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Well they are releasing an unlocked GSM version overseas so ill be picking that up regardless hoping that it has quadband HSPA because WEBOs on EDGE ... ouch ...

mouseman225 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Pre won most of the smackdown? The only info they could actually come up with was the screen size, and even then they couldn't give us pixels per inch. Not sure when being vague about all the specs means u "won" a smackdown, unless ur talkin about which phone is more ambiguous.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

taynepope no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasz View Post
    my Palm Pre is great phone from accessorygeeks. with layered calendars and linked contacts, activity cards, intuitive notifications, combined messaging, email, wi-Fi, and GPS. The screen is beautiful, and it really shows when looking at photos, which are so bright and colorful, I'd almost say it looks sharper than any other phone. The Card system is really a great way to keep your information in front of you and know what you're working on. When you launch an app, you can drag it onto your phone desktop to create a new card, then when you're finished with a card for a specific app, closing it is as simple as flicking the card upwards. Wonderful
    Sounds pretty cool. I guess time will tell. I'm looking forward to the how the real "smackdown" plays out over the the next couple of days when pre drops and whatever announcement is made at WWDC.