View Poll Results: Do You think RIM would merge with Palm??

Voters
23. Register free to vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 43.48%
  • No

6 26.09%
  • Undecided

7 30.43%

http://stockoperator.livejournal.com/23376.html Everyones thoughts??????... Palm News forum

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee

RIM to buy Palm? We could know in 3 days!!!!!!!

Advertisement

The Stacks Rock.....

Just signed up to Pinstack? Please visit the following:
    Forum Policies ~ Posting Guidelines ~ BB FAQ ~ Downloads

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: RIM to buy Palm? We could know in 3 days!!!!!!!

It’s possible, but I have my doubts. That’s why I didn’t post this yet. However, it makes for good discussion as this would involve huge changes

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

I am always excited about mergers, partnerships and buy-outs. Im with Sprint-Nextel so you know what I mean. I think this would mean RIM would have to release the necessary features we all need on our BlackBerries. Media slots, cameras, touch screen, you know all those things we desperately need!

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I would be sceptical about this as well. However, stranger things have happened. I've seen acquisitions in my field, that amaze me much more than this would.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

true for e.g:

a few years ago I was employed by AT&T Wireless then aquired by Cingular (owned by SBC), then a year later AT&T acquired SBC (who owns Cingular). So AT&T controls Cingular about 60% of it and Bellsouth the rest.

Then a twist, Digicel last year aquired all Cingular-caribbean markets at which point I resigned about 6 months before the public name change etc.

Crazy I know lol

BBadBoy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    4010DD80

I assume we're talking about the hardware part of Palm, not PalmSource? From a hardware pov Palm could teach RIM a thing or three. A definite plus for RIM, but probably a death sentence for PalmSource. That would be too bad. I have always liked the Palm OS and I've never liked any of the Windows mobile platforms.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

If RIM bought Palm it would be interesting to see the mix of OS's on existing or future devices. LOL I have always wanted to try the Palm OS. I haven't had experience with it yet (or the Symbian OS's).
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 06-26-2006 at 06:33 PM.

sigmamason no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    22BFEE32

Erica,

Symbian S60 is a stable platform, Palm POS is somewhat stable, just not too compatible with literally every software. Providers have to update and tweak all the time and if not tested correctly, cause the infamous resets...
    All of the mobile platforms are pretty decent. Remember that BB is probably the most barebones of OS on the marketplace today.
    Palm (which is moving to a cobalt or Linux openshare) and Symbian and RIM are somewhat barebones in comparison to WM. The biggest problem with WM is that it is difficult to shut off apps, thereby causing a memory drain until you shut down the app...
    We Walk By Faith, Not By Sight!!

Wombat no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2104929D

I think, if done right, a merger could benefit both palm and bb users. There is a market for both a full pda like palm and an email devise/pda like the bb. Getting the bb email function on a palm would be good and getting a little more advanced function and apps on a bb would also be good. I have been using palm os since the palm iii. And just recently started using the bb.
    The bb is great for email, quick address/number search, but the palm offers a huge number of apps from databases to full native ms office creation and editing.