sfgate.com : Like many second children, it doesn't get as much attention. But, like a ... Palm News forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Pre can deliver the goods

Advertisement

sfgate.com: Like many second children, it doesn't get as much attention. But, like a lot of younger siblings, it has soaked up so much from big brother, learning from its accomplishments and mistakes, that in some ways it surpasses the first born.

It's not too much of a stretch to say they are related in a way, with the Pre and its new WebOS operating system designed in part by Palm Executive Chairman Jon Rubinstein, who was Apple's former senior vice president of hardware engineering and iPod division head.

Palm has a lot riding on this, and the Pre (on sale today for $200 after a rebate) is an unqualified success that not only justifies its late arrival but brings competition to the iPhone like no one else.

This doesn't mean it will succeed in the marketplace; but this breathes life into Palm, which needs to expand its distribution while hoping you-know-who doesn't kill it with the next iPhone, rumored to be announced next week.

Let's take a look at the hardware: The Pre is shorter and slightly more squat than the iPhone with a 3.1-inch screen and a slide-out keyboard. The black plastic body lacks some of the polish of the iPhone or BlackBerry Storm, but its shape slips into your palm(sorry) with ease. The keyboard is tight but serviceable, though not as roomy as BlackBerry's.

goldengirl75 no está en línea Stack level 5
    Since I've only been able to see the loveliness of this phone over hubby's shoulder, I have to say this phone is sweeeet! There are a lot of features on this thing that are great. Downloads were fast, syncing with iTunes was a breeze plus the cards feature and ease of use are fun and exciting (and there is more but I have't been able to play with the darn thing).

When this phone becomes available for Verizon (if I don't jump sooner) I'll be definitely looking forward to changing platforms. It is a great phone.

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    Is it True that you can't download mp3's over the Sprint network, that you have to enable wifi for such downloads?

With the pre that is.

Realbrisk no está en línea Stack level 1
    I have no trouble downloading mp3 file ota with my Sprint Blackberry
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

joek71 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    319CCF42
    I got the Pre and used it for 1 day and went back to the BB, it reset 2 times in 1 day and turned off by itself, i just use to the BB and enjoy it more.
    TRUST NO ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Realbrisk View Post
    I have no trouble downloading mp3 file ota with my Sprint Blackberry

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Capdot View Post
    Is it True that you can't download mp3's over the Sprint network, that you have to enable wifi for such downloads?

With the pre that is.
    I think that is true, I have not tried it myself but did read that is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    I think that is true, I have not tried it myself but did read that is the case.

Did you purchase a pre?

I am interested in this phone , but after lurking around the palm pre forums I'm not to sure about it anymore. There are just too many things that turn me off about it, but lets see in the next coming months what firm updates have to offer.

PIN/ID
    Retired
    No I don't have one. I probably wont be getting one either. Like you there are to many red flags for me to make a purchase. I'm a hugh BB Bold fan anyway and I currently love my iPhone3G. I can't imagine the Pre will do much for me. I will be getting the new 3Gs next week tho and meanwhile I will just be playing with the Pre in the store down the street from me.

The keyboard scares me and no Landscape keyboard is a killer.

^^ I agree with you on that keyboard. The plastic screen is no good either. If I was ever to go that route a glass screen is the only way.

The whole sync thing with facebook and gmail is horrible too. Too many people complaining that the pre pulls every contact that you have on your facebook and your Gmail into your contact list. I dont know about you but I dont need 300 people in my contacts when I really only care for a 100 or so and I dont want to have to use the "universal search" to be able to look for one contact.

The lack of setting ringtones for messages is fail. I rely on different ringtones to tell me if I got a text or an email, mms etc.

There are a few more but those are my main concerns.

PIN/ID
    319CCF42
    One of the turn offs is that i cant sync with my MS Office and that is horrible.

unable to sync with outlook is pretty bad... I guess the only way is to sync your outlook to gmail and go from there. Not gonna be for everyone.

PIN/ID
    319CCF42
    Where is Palm brains? Anyone seen them? And this phone was supposed to be for the biz-man? What a joke.

PIN/ID
    319CCF42
    Dont get me wrong this is a great phone, for private use not for business use. They should have taken the best from iPhone and BB. I like the slider and the touch screen very good screen and great colors, but this lack of simple functions drives me crazy.

PIN/ID
    Retired
    I agree on the outlook and what they call synergy. Those are two hugh fails. What where they thinking? Look at every single PC in the world and ask yourself what most people are using to manage their contacts. It's not a big list and the phone needs to sync with those items. As for the Google contact and Facebook? Wow they sure put a lot of faith in Facebook. Facebook is nothing more than another fad like myspace and many others. Next year it will be something else.

Google contacts drive me craZy pulling in contact info when I don't need it. It's very hard to keep those organized and it's a daily maintenance just to do so.

Why would anyone want all that junk on your phone?

Ok, I'm done with my Rant........ Sorry.

Back to the phone, the Pre looks nice and I can't to use one so that i can see for myself how it works. I'm sure the Cards and many other feature are neat and will work great.