With the price drop on the Palm Pre, we knew the next new Palm couldn't ... Palm News forum

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

Palm Introduces the Pixi

Advertisement

With the price drop on the Palm Pre, we knew the next new Palm couldn't be far away, and now they have formally introduced the Pixi. This newest webOS offering from Palm will be debuting on Sprint, no date posted, but you can sign up for email notification. This new Pixi is not a slider like the Pre, and has been slimmed down considerably, but also has no Wi-Fi, only a 2.0 mp camera and has some other modifications that may make this less than desirable for some.

"The important bits: It still runs webOS, still has a keyboard, still only for Sprint (for now) and can pretty much do everything the bigger Pre can do. There's no Wi-Fi, but GPS and the accelerometer are still there. The Pixi is slightly lighter than the Pre, losing a lot of weight from not having to slide itself out to reveal a keyboard, but has a little bit of a lobotomized brain. Palm wouldn't get into details, but you can make out from the hints and insinuations that the CPU and the RAM were less of what you'd get with the Pre."

Check out more of the Gizmodo hand's on review here
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    The smart phone market is aimed at everyone and, sooner or later, they'll accomplish it. I think this is a really smart idea from Palm. Here's another article about the Pixi from the N Y Times.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Interesting, but I don't think they have enough of the kind of apps that would attract or keep the attention of younger users. Will be interesting to see how this goes.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    Interesting, but I don't think they have enough of the kind of apps that would attract or keep the attention of younger users...............
    I think you're right about the apps - let's see if they realize it soon enough to make this one a success. Almost every smart phone maker has an app deficit compared to Apple,
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

artiesberry no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32146C01
    There are alot of people that don't like AT&T. Way to go Sprint.
    Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; MSDigitalLocker; Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1) ; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    No WIFI, 2.0 mp camera, slower processor than the pre? Did I miss something here?
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16

Quote Originally Posted by calm_tiger View Post
    No WIFI, 2.0 mp camera, slower processor than the pre? Did I miss something here?
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16
    You may have, Tiger. This one's scaled down a little and aimed at the younger customers whatever that means. I took it to mean quite a bit younger with less features and less cost but that could be a wrong impression on my part.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Why Sprint? Why can't Palm bring these to other carriers??
    BlackBerry8120/4.5.0.162 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    You may have, Tiger. This one's scaled down a little and aimed at the younger customers whatever that means. I took it to mean quite a bit younger with less features and less cost but that could be a wrong impression on my part.
    Ok, that makes sense I guess. Hopefully, they will achieve success within that demographic.