Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

If you haven't had the chance to use a Palm Pre or Pixi, you've missed ... Palm News forum

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Palm CEO: We Could Have Been Bigger Than Droid

Advertisement

If you haven't had the chance to use a Palm Pre or Pixi, you've missed out on a chance to use a quality device with a lot of potential locked away in that OS. The device didn't quite meet with the sales or enthusiasm that Palm would have liked, but I don't think that all of the blame needs to go straight to Palm. Part of it has to go to the carrier they chose an exclusivity deal with, Sprint. They simply didn't build up to its release in the same way other devices had been, such as the Droid and Storm. David Coursey at PCWorld seems to agree somewhat.

via PCWorld: "Yesterday's statement from Palm's CEO, lamenting how Motorola's Droid beat the Palm Pre into Verizon stores, I was reminded of a famous Marlon Brando line from "On the Waterfront." Many people know the words, even of they don't know they come from a 1954 motion picture.

"I coulda been a contender," said Brando's character, Terry, a washed-up boxer, lamenting his fate.

Compare that to what Palm CEO Jon Rubinstein said Thursday during his company's third-quarter results call with analysts:

"If we could have launched at Verizon prior to the Droid, I think we would have gotten the attention the Droid got. And since I believe we have a better product, I think we could have even done better," Rubinstein said."

Full article available here.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    No way! Didn't like the Pre at all. Those cards totally dominate the homescreen. It was unusable for me, coming from the G1 at the time, but the UI is smooth though. Not a fan of the biscuit-like shape either.

Better than the Droid is a joke. Did he hear the has Droid beat the iPhone in sales numbers??
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1; en-us; Droid Build/ESE53) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

MissBlackberry9630 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30cad226
    I think Jon is a little dillusioned. The Palm Pre Plus is not as quick as the Droid, doesn't have the camera the Droid has and the apps are not as nice. The phone itself doesn't give you many customization options. The phone just got a video camera. It should have been released with a video camera. It is a watered down smart phone. Maybe a stepping stone between a regular phone and a smart phone.

I am happy he believes in his product though, his slow, not as responsive laggy product.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I read a few different reports that claim Palm's stock will hit zero and that's not a good thing. We really need them to compete and I sure hope they make it out of the hole they seem to be in. Competition is good for us the consumer.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    I have been a Palm user in the past, had a couple of their PDAs and they were great for their time. I had hoped that the Pre would do better and keep Palm alive. Hype and Marketing do sell products, and there was a huge amount of money and smart marketing put into the Droid. I disagree that the Palm Pre is a better product, but it does have some great aspects. I have not spent a great deal of time with one, just played with the Pre Plus for the first time yesterday at my local VZW store. The UI was really nice, intuitive, easy to navigate, navigation was very smooth. There was no choppiness or lag. While the shape of the Pre is a bit odd to look at, it felt very good in my hand.

I did not play with the camera but the Droid camera is not that great either. There are some things it does well, especially impressed with the Droid's macro mode for things like super close-ups of flowers on a sunny day. But the Droid takes some really cruddy indoor shots, especially in low light, and outdoors it has trouble with white balance in certain lighting conditions.

The biggest downer for me was the browser speed. I time after time went to various sites on both the Pre and my Droid and and the Droid was way faster every time. Since the browser is one of the most used features, that is a deal breaker. BTW my Droid was set to default processor speed, not overclocked for this test.

I also did not like the Pre's tiny keyboard, maybe could get used to it over time, but it is just so little and cramped feeling.

My mom is tired of her BB 8330 and looking for a new phone, I was going to guide her towards the Pre Plus but she wants a fast browser too so this will not fit the bill for her. I also saw a article somewhere that compares latest smartphones and it gave the Pre Plus really bad ratings for battery...way lower than the Droid, and the Droid is really hard on battery compared to the 8330 so she will hate the Pre for that too.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

PIN/ID
    Retired
    The keyboard was enough of a deal breaker for me to even consider it. It was just too tiny and there is no way to get around it.
    So for me anyway that was what kept me from getting one just to have. It's actually smaller than the Pearl. When I first went in to use one I was thinking it would be similar to the Pearl. I was fine using a Pearl and loved it but the Pre was a Lil' to tiny.

WhitePearlPXL no está en línea Stack level 4
    The design of the pre is a great flaw on it's own. A landscape keyboard would have done better. They've really lost their touch since the treo days. People used to look forward to their releases..
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1; en-us; Droid Build/ESE53) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

PIN/ID
    Retired
    Here are some Palm links to help better understand their current situation.

Silicon Alley

Inventory Problem

Apps issue

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    The Palm is the DeLorean of the smartphone world ! It was a promise never realised!
    I actually thought it stood a good chance lately, but the smartphone market got smarter with many and varied alternatives.
    I think it was a valuable choice, an honest approach to a OS and UI designed to please. It's a quirky market right now, and not even the big players can risk complacency. And that is what Palm suffered from, since the start.

PIN/ID
    Retired
    ^^Great example^^I guess at the moment it's looking that way. You know it's not a stretch to think another may fall in 2011 if they don't offer more.

Windows Mobile 7 Series will cause a ruckus this year like Palm did last year. They have one more chance to get it together.
    I'm referring to actually moving real customer numbers away from one platform to theirs. So more than simple being an option and actually making an impact. Android-like.........
    Last edited by srl7741; 03-21-2010 at 08:42 PM.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Those inventory numbers for Palm are crazy! Windows Phone 7 will hopefully do better, though some of the rumors about limitations on the OS are sounding iffy.......

And app store numbers.....yeah they don't mean as much as they appear to. I will be posting more on that later.....
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

PIN/ID
    Retired
    Microsoft has much more $ (moola) than Palm ever will/did and can sustain pretty much what ever they want. So it's not actually the same but WM7 needs to do well or they will never get people to switch over. The best they can hope for is to keep current users.

MissBlackberry9630 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30cad226
    Last night, after I read about the inventory problem, I felt really bad for Palm. It is really sad. The web os is okay, but not great. Somehow, last night, my PIXI got restored to factory settings. (And all my data was gone.) I got my contacts back because of the automatic back up, but all of the my pictures, ringtones and mp3's were gone. Not having removable memory is a little bit of a downer for me. If i wipe my blackberry, at least my photos will still be on the memory card.

WhitePearlPXL no está en línea Stack level 4
    will this affect app development? you think devs will be like.. eh..?
    Paolo
    Moto Droid with SteamROM v4.0.5 Steam Theme
    Steam 1.2ghz Low Voltage Kernel
    Apple MacBook Pro
    Jeremiah 29:11
    Try us out! www.mycellularsource.com

PIN/ID
    Retired
    It's sort of a catch 22 they are in with App dev. They need Apps but no one will want to build Apps if they are not selling the phone to create the need or funds.

It's a tough spot to be in and I don't think Palm has the Staff to develop their own Apps or at least a lot of Apps anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast