Back in June, Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam said that Verizon would be selling Palm's new ... Palm News forum

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask

No Pre For Verizon?

Advertisement

Back in June, Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam said that Verizon would be selling Palm's new flagship device, the Pre, within 7 months. The device was then and is now offered only through Sprint and the company's CEO, Dan Hesse said then that while he couldn't confirm for sure the length of the exclusivity agreement with Sprint, it was definitely, "more then 6 months". Yet a month later, in a conference call with investors, Verizon COO Denny Strigl assured them that they would in-fact be carrying the handset before 2010.

Here it is almost 3 months later and a new report from popular financial source TheStreet says that the brakes may have been put on for the whole deal. Citing a reliable source, TheStreet says that Verizon has officially decided it will not carry the device that Palm was hoping would help them gain a strong foothold in the smartphone market once again. The source says there are several reasons for the lack of interest in the Pre by Verizon, the first of which being the lack of sales of the device. While sales in the last quarter were estimated at 800k handsets, considering how hard Palm tried to get the word out about the device and it's new multi-tasking OS, that's not a huge number. Respectable for less then 6 months on the market, but not huge.

Secondly, Verizon reportedly wants their Vcast service, which is Verizon's in-house apps store, featured on the device, which is in direct conflict with Palm's own App Catalog. No word if there would be any type of compromise on this one. The last kick in the teeth for Palm is that Verizon has been promoting it's interest in Android devices, including the Motorola Sholes and potentially the Cliq. That's on top of their line of BlackBerry devices. The word from Verizon is that the amount of promotion that would be involved in pushing the Pre, in addition to it's arsenal of upcoming devices would be costly and there's a large chance it wouldn't pay off.

While Verizon has not officially said one way or the other, if the source from TheStreet is credible, it means Palm will have to look somewhere else to get it's saving grace device in the hands of more consumers. A rep from Palm said that the company has never named Verizon as one of it's partners, but that could be a good move for the company if Verizon is about to kick them to the curb. Not great news for those who want the device, but don't want to go with Sprint. However, in the end, Verizon may be missing the chance at a golden egg that one of the other major networks will scoop up.

[Information sourced from TheStreet]
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

goldengirl75 no está en línea Stack level 5
    That bites. I was kind of looking forward to changing devices without dropping Verizon and this was one of the phones I was considering. Great

lancereeter no está en línea Stack level 2
    Same here. Guess I'll have to switch to Sprint. My wife just left Verizon last week and picked up a new Palm Pre at Sprint. She loves it! In fact I do too and want one for myself. It was an easy switch for her. The reception and coverage she gets with Sprint is just as good as Verizon (here in San Diego, CA) and her monthly bill went from $95 down to $70.
    There are no shortage of idiots in this world.

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Sprint's exclusivity deal is set to expire the first of the year. I would not be surprised in the least if other carriers such as AT&T and T-Mo offer to snap up a GSM version of the device. We'll probably also see offerings from regional carriers too, so be patient.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    How to upgrade your OS

goldengirl75 no está en línea Stack level 5
    From my tweets, Engadget is saying something else:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/25/r...g-to-analysts/

All I know is that I would really, really like to change handsets. Hubby likes it and I would def like something other than a RIM phone. I hope they get the Pre.

PIN/ID
    Ask
    As I mentioned, Verizon has said twice this year, flat-out that they are getting the Pre, but TheStreet is still standing by it's source within the company. Should be interesting.
    How to upgrade your OS