foxnews.com : The Pre takes everything that's great about the iPhone — multitouch commands, the ... Palm News forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

A First Look at Palm's New Pre Smartphone

Advertisement

foxnews.com: The Pre takes everything that's great about the iPhone — multitouch commands, the App Store — and adds most of what the iPhone's missing, such as a real keyboard, MMS messaging and a multitasking OS that can do more than one thing at once.

And I also got a pleasant surprise. Contrary to previous reports, the Pre will be able to run Palm OS legacy applications. Millions of Palm PDA, Treo and Centro owners can simply port their favorite apps over to the new platform.

Like its competitors, which also include the BlackBerry Bold and Storm, the T-Mobile G1 "Google phone" and half a dozen Samsung, Nokia and HTC also-rans, the Pre is very pretty and rather heavy. It looks like one of those heated sauna rocks that get put on beautiful women's backs in ads for upscale hotels.

When it's inactive, it's solid black and very minimal. Swipe a finger across the face, and the 320 x 480-pixel touchscreen lights up and the Pre comes alive.

Like the rest of the smartphone bunch, it's got all the latest bells and whistles: audio and video playback, a standard 3.5-mm headphone jack, Wi-Fi, 3G, GPS, Bluetooth, push e-mail, a 3-megapixel camera.

[read more]

Emmc no está en línea Stack level 5
    Looks great. I stopped reading at "Sprint".

tippmann15 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I'm so excited about this phone, i was going to jump ship to the storm earlier (didnt want to wait for pre). However after looking over verizons rate plans, it was obvious very quickly that they just couldnt compete with sprint on the pricing. Iam glad this was the case as i can probably wait another 30 days for the pre :-)

-sorry if this posts 2xs, my blackberry and the stacks dont see eye to eye, pages always load "blank" or reset me back to the forums selection.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

popo341 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    329249D2
    I discovered the Blackberry after switching from the Palm Treo series. Like i have had Palm products for a really long time. Well when I got fed up with my Treo crashing I switched to Blackberry. Blackberrys honestly rock and I really like what RIM has to offer. Ok so I have an IPod Touch and I do like some of the features that are offered and the UI of Apple. But I am not crazy about AT&T and their service. So after seeing video after video of the Palm Pre this may be my time to switch back to Palm. I won't purchase a Pre until I have had the chance to play around with the Pre for a bit. Right now from what I have seen I am sold on this phone. But I won't be sold if email isn't direct push. I have been spoiled with BIS and getting my email right away. Yet they did mention that gmail will be direct so who knows. Sprint and Palm need to release a date for the launch of this phone. Too many people are holding their breath waiting for this phone and are blue in the face because of it.

popo341 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    329249D2
    One other thing I do not understand the whole Verizon, Sprint, AT&T whoever claims. Those who say I stopped reading when I saw Sprint, come on seriously! I am with Sprint and did that keep me from looking at the Storm or stopping at the AT&T booth and looking at the Bold, no it didn't.

goldengirl75 no está en línea Stack level 5
    This thing looks simple, but watching the various videos of what this thing will do...so, so sweet. I like it a lot!

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    The comparison to a heated sauna rock is funny. I hope this really does pull Palm from it's slump. Can't wait to play with one, but I doubt I will buy one. But you never know
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

grymtyrant@msn. no está en línea Stack level 3
    I can't wait for the Pre. I'm probably going to order it the moment it comes out. Forget going to the stores as I am sure they will be crowded.

RedNightHawk no está en línea Stack level 3
    Reading through the article there's still some spots for improvement (no video recording, no memory card slot, etc.), but if it really does run legacy apps that is a big plus. I still miss some of the apps I used to use on my Palms that I haven't found versions of for the BlackBerry.

If it does wind up being priced around $200 then it's also affordable enough to be a second phone.

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    I saw an online video review of this phone and it is nice. Palm actually "put their foot in this one". The only sad thing is I'll never go back to sprint.

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    ^^ Here here!
    I hope they release a GSM version of this phone soon after the sprint release. Its too bad cause sprint is one of the worst providers where I live.