Please forgive me if this is simple but I have spent the last couple hours ... C Spire/Cellular South forum

fosterius no está en línea Stack level 1

Vodacom in Tanzania

Advertisement

Please forgive me if this is simple but I have spent the last couple hours searching all over the web for a solution but so far no luck. I live and work in Tanzania and I just got a BlackBerry Pearl 8100. I've never had one before so I'm a hardcore NOOB. I purchased an unlock code and my BlackBerry is now on my post-paid Vodacom account here and is working great.

Problem is, I can't enable internet on the phone. Generally, you go to Vodacom's website, enter in your phone number, choose your phone model, press send, and presto... in a few seconds you get an SMS containing all the configuration settings that you just save on your phone. Unfortunately though, it turns out BlackBerry is not on the list. Instead, I am given the following 'generic' settings:

Access point name: WAP
    Username:
    Password:
    Account name: Vodacom WAP
    Proxy server address: 10.154.000.008
    Proxy server port: 9401

I have no clue how or where to enter this information into the phone. Nor do i know what BES, BIS, or what a Service Book is. I just want this to work like my old stoopid NOKIA did. i really thought I was upgrading here but man am I stumped. I would be thrilled for someone to call me an idiot if I have totally missed something completely simple and basic so bring it on...

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: Vodacom in Tanzania

Normally, you need to contact your carrier and request that they provision your account with a blackberry data plan. Your carrier must have an agreement with RIM to provide Blackberry service. I assume that your carrier is a subidary of Vodaphone so the should have blackberry service.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

fosterius no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Vodacom in Tanzania

Thanks Rcbjr. I called Vodacom today and the phone is not supported. I'm a little miffed that blackberry has to have its own special treatment from providers. Vodacom supports hundreds of makes of phones here and you get data and voice products right out of the box. I'm sorry but you cannot call this an international phone. In the meantime I'm going back to Nokia! I've wasted hours on this.