Hi, I am currently on AT&T and about to travel to Europe (for 1 week), ... C Spire/Cellular South forum

ixtab no está en línea Stack level 3

Question Unlocked BB with a temp-local SIM while traveling?

Advertisement

Hi,

I am currently on AT&T and about to travel to Europe (for 1 week), I pretty much refuse to get the AT&T International BB plan (as I read that they now require you to commit to have it for 1 year!!!).

So I got a local SIM card (from a family member) with a local phone number and local data plan which I plan to use with my unlocked BB.

Now my question, since my family's SIM card does not have a BB plan I assume my AT&T BIS (and work's BES) won't work, right?

What other options (besides webmail) do I have to access my BES & BIS servers here in the states?

Is there a 3rd client email app that is POP based that I can temporarily use to pull my emails over a regular data plan?

Thanks,
    Ix.

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Re: Unlocked BB with a temp-local SIM while traveling?

As far as I know, BIS email works on just the PIN (and possibly IMEI number). In fact, you don't even need the service books. I've had my BIS email still come to my device after a wipe - before any service books have come down, and my wife bought a third hand BlackBerry and started receiving the original owner's email as soon as I set up HER BIS account.

I don't know if BES would work, but theoretically neither BIS nor BES require any info from the SIM. If the device already has all the BES service books and authentication, it should work with any SIM.
    JerryD

ixtab no está en línea Stack level 3

This is interesting. I experienced something similar where I took the SIM out of my old work's BB and the emails still kept being pushed to it even while I was still only setting up the new device.

So we know it work that way domestic, question is, what will happen when I land somewhere else where there's no at&t. I doubt it will work as it does here because that essentially means a huge loophole in the expensive internation plan at&t (and others) sell.

Thanks.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

You will be able to use the phone and SMS messaging locally. You will not get email or other data services, unless the local SIM provider has blackberry service and you get a temporary plan with them.

Hope this helps.
    Rcbjr
    ~via My BB Curve (wap.pinstack.com)~