Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Troubleshooting the device status on a RIM BlackBerry. Troubleshooting GPRS attach on a RIM ... C Spire/Cellular South forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Troubleshooting the device status on BlackBerry (GSM)

Advertisement

Topic:
    Troubleshooting the device status on a RIM BlackBerry.
    Troubleshooting GPRS attach on a RIM BlackBerry.
    Troubleshooting EDGE attach on a RIM BlackBerry.

Problem:
    Unable to send or receive e-mail using a RIM BlackBerry
    Accessing WAP or MEdia Net
    Out of coverage - No Service
    "GSM" instead of "GPRS"
    "gprs" instead of "GPRS"
    "edge" instead of "EDGE"
    "SOS"
    lower case gprs
    lower case edge
    No GPRS attach
    No EDGE attach
    Solution:
    1. Verify the radio is turned on.
    2. Verify the device displays at least two bars of signal strength.
      • If the device does not display at least two bars of signal strength, try moving to a different location with better signal strength.
    3. Determine the wireless carrier on which the device is registered.
      Note: Roaming agreements dictate GSM and GPRS availability. For more information contact your carrier.
      • If user is roaming outside the United States, confirm that the carrier supports GSM or GPRS roaming. If a carrier that supports data is not available, e-mail and web functions will not be available on device.
    4. Evaluate current status indicator.
      • "GSM" indicates that voice service is available but data services are not.
        • Power the device off and powering the device back on.
        • If continuing to display "GSM" perform a hard reset.
        • If continuing to display "GSM" attempt to register the device on the network.
          NOTE: Attempting to register the device on the network may help force a successful attach to "GPRS" or "EDGE".
        • If continuing to display "GSM" remove/reinsert SIM or try alternate SIM if available.
        • If the status does not change from "GSM" to "GPRS", please contact your Carrier.
      • "gprs" indicates that the device is trying to acquire data services but is unable to.
        • Power the device off and powering the device back on.
        • If continuing to display "gprs" perform a hard reset.
        • If continuing to display "gprs" attempt to register the device on the network.
          NOTE: Attempting to register the device on the network may help force a successful attach to "GPRS" or "EDGE".
        • If continuing to display "gprs" remove/reinsert SIM or try alternate SIM if available.
        • If the status does not change from "gprs" to "GPRS", please contact your carrier's Customer Care.
      • "edge" indicates that the device is attempting to register on the EDGE network, but is unable to.
        • If continuing to display "edge" perform a hard reset.
        • If continuing to display "edge" attempt to register the device on the network.
        • If continuing to display "edge" remove/reinsert SIM or try alternate SIM if available.
        • If the status does not change from "edge" to "EDGE", please contact your Carrier's Customer Care.
      • "SOS" indicates that the device is outside of coverage area and is in an area where your carrier does not have a roaming agreement.
        • Attempt to register the device once you are within the coverage area.
        • If "SOS" displays on the device and the device is within the coverage area, remove the SIM card from the device, reinsert the SIM card, and power the device back on.
        • If the device still does not display "GPRS" or "EDGE", confirm the Network Selection Mode is set to "Automatic" on the handheld.
        • If the device continues to display SOS, please contact your Carrier's Customer Care.

eatmypiano no está en línea BES Pro

Re: Troubleshooting the device status on BlackBerry (GSM)

Note that "gprs" actually means that the device has found a data network. "GPRS" means the device has registered on the BlackBerry network and has been accepted and assigned to WT.

Also, if you've roamed on to another carrier's network, a small triangle will appear next to the SSI.

Joebanana no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    204fae23

Question Re: Troubleshooting the device status on BlackBerry (GSM)

Hello Eat,

I am doing some troubleshooting with our GPRS network. Does "gprs" mean that the network has provided an IP address to your device, but the device is unable to to connect to the RIM network?

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

I have always understood that with blackberries, gprs means you are connected to a tower that is gprs capable, but have not completed the connection to the RIM network. I don't know what relation gprs has to the IP address being assigned to your Device though.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

PIN/ID
    204fae23

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Thanks I am trying to get some details from our RIM contact

Sorry, just found this. What Rcbjr says is correct. gprs means the device has a PDP context - it has an IP address. GPRS means it's been assigned to Wireless Transport - it's found the BlackBerry network and the network hasn't told it to go away.

PIN/ID
    204fae23

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Thanks Eat,

I would like to know the reasons why I would fail to complete this last step. It seems gprs means I've completed the steps under control of my network, and I am now trying to talk to RIM.

I am also following this up with a RIM eng. Keep you all updated.

Either the carrier network you're on doesn't support BlackBerry or the SIM doesn't contain the BlackBerry APN.

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

If this problem is limited to a single location, it could be a tower to Network Connection problem. Is this a single device problem or does it impact many devices? If a single device, it usually relates to the account or handheld.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

layoub no está en línea Stack level 1
    I am trying to activate GPRS on my new BB Pearl. I also have a T-Mobile MDA and GPRS works just fine. I don't pay the extra for data and I am ok with the slower connection. How do I active the GPRS on the BB?

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    See Resonse to this post.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer

jmt51 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    20396DA1
    Help! My Rim Blackberry GSM still displays status all day. No Internet or no access to emails at all. How can I change Blackberry back to EDGE from GSM? Can you help? My wireless carrier is Cingular. This is my first time for GSM display like this. What’s cause? I need do is EDGE now.
    Thank you…

GSM Hater

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    jmt51,

Have you tried a Cold Reboot (Battery Out, wait 15-30 sec, Battery Back in)? Some times this will help. It also could be that there is a tower problem in your location. Have you been in the same location all day. If so try to get out and about and see if it comes back when you change towers.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

GeeMrScience no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by layoub
    I am trying to activate GPRS on my new BB Pearl. I also have a T-Mobile MDA and GPRS works just fine. I don't pay the extra for data and I am ok with the slower connection. How do I active the GPRS on the BB?
    Did you change from TMobiles internet plan to a blackberry plan to use your blackberry?

dannynkhou no está en línea Stack level 2

Well I have a Blackberry-red AT&T(cingular) well.. somehow theres this thing that would pop up when i open my cell (it says "Uncaughtexception:ApplicationRegistry.waitfor ....then some numbers")and another thing is that it will not let me play my ringtones and view my pic it says "Unable to display file Device Memory/home/user/....this says all to my pic folder and ringtones and video..it won let me view it..HELP ME!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast