Hello everyone, I'm soon to be travelling to the U.S. and Canada. I've looked up ... C Spire/Cellular South forum

lieb39 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

Traveling to U.S. - Get BB plan over there?

Advertisement

Hello everyone,

I'm soon to be travelling to the U.S. and Canada. I've looked up my GPRS rates for my BB device and it's .02/KB.. and outside my plans as normal. Is it worth going on a plan over there? (I'll be there for 2 months)

Well, if I just send and recieve emails, how much could I use in reality..?

Cheers
    Anyone who is familiar and willing to discuss/help me with BES, add me to your BB Messenger! Cheers :)

williamlc21 no está en línea Stack Lead
    Doesnt seem like alot, but it can add up fast. Tmobile here has a roaming plan that allows unlimited data in other countries. Does your provider not have anythig like that?
    "I'm the best there is. And even if you beat me, I'm still the best." -Fast Eddie Felson(The Hustler)

PIN/ID
    Nothing - it's quite the rip off... Australia is behind as a country and in technology. (I'm with Optus.. www.optus.com.au )

Cheers
    Anyone who is familiar and willing to discuss/help me with BES, add me to your BB Messenger! Cheers :)

_Bulz_Eye_ no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32c2287a
    Most likely you can get a free 30 day trial from Mapquest, I think you can find other 30 day free trials. Most plans here require a 1 year commitment, but, you know credit ratings don't follow you outside the country. So why not get a full blown out service plan? Lol gl

PIN/ID
    Haha - Not likely since I will be returning and even living / working there. Well maybe I'll just cough the bills.. when it comes to pure BB usage I have yet to go over 1mb per month..

Cheers

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Base it on your home use. If way you say is accurate, and that you likely won't use more than 1 MB (which for email only, no surfing or heavy surfing) is quite resonable.

That 2c / KB is the same as $20 per MB, so keep that in mind. Is that rate for roaming, or what you pay at home?

Also check with your carrier for who they have preferred agreements with. I cannot speak for the US, but in Canada you will be roaming on Fido or Rogers. Technically, they are the same company, but in reality, roaming agreements from before Rogers bought Fido may still be in place, and you may be limited to roaming only on Fido, which is very limited to only major urban centres....and now that I think of it, Fido doesn't even support BlackBerry. So there's another thing to verify....

Anyway, my point is: check with your carrier.

And if you're only away for a month or two, the roaming costs on your BlackBerry will be much less expensive and far more convenient than paying for internet access and/or computer time at cafés.

giamburrasca no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    256223F9
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Just be real careful about web access while roaming.My carrier o2 stung me for a Ł5 a DAY access charge regardless of levels of data downloaded when I was in Turkey recently.

brianlamar no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204BCE25
    I know t-mobile has an unlimited internation e-mail plan for the blackberry and doesn't require you to have a separate international plan if thats all you're going to use the phone for while you're here. Check with you sevice provider they should have something similar.