Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

EDIT: there is a semi-fix for this, see post 17 on page 2 of this ... C Spire/Cellular South forum

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

Semi-FIX for Alltel users and 4.5 MMS/DocstoGo upgrade conflict

Advertisement

EDIT: there is a semi-fix for this, see post 17 on page 2 of this thread

First let me say thanks to PinStack member cclay25 who alerted me in another thread with this post that this was the reason for my troubles.

A warning to Alltel users, when you upgrade to OS 4.5 you get Docs To Go with Word and Slideshow to go. You have the option to upgrade to a newer version of Docs To Go that includes Excel. Great deal ..........as long as you don't mind losing your MMS

I have tried this on my 8330 running 4.5.0.77 and on my son's 8130 running the official Alltel 4.5.0.89 and had the same experience for both. When I first upgraded the devices the picture mms worked great on both. Then I upgraded the Dos To Go and the MMS no longer worked. When I received one it would not download the picture and just gave a message saying the content could not be retrieved. Hitting Menu/Retrieve now did not work either. I ended up haveing to completely delete Docs To Go from both devices and re-install the original version.

So in the end, you must choose what you think you need more, MMS or Excel, at this point you can't get both. Maybe a future release will correct this issue :fingers crossed:

If anyone has them both working properly please post your secret ........If anyone has any insight as to how one could have anything to do with the other....please share! I totally don't get how a Docs To Go upgrade can screw with MMS

Hopefully people will see this before they upgrade and be able to make an educated choice instead of facing aggravation. My MMS hasn't worked for a couple weeks and I didn't make the Docs to Go upgrade connection and didn't call Alltel since I wasn't using their official OS version and knew they would blame that.
    Last edited by azstar; 10-31-2008 at 03:25 PM.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

KalebsDad78 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    I upgraded my Alltel 8330 to 4.5.0.77 Wednesday morning. I also upgraded to the latest Docs To Go after it prompted me to do the upgrade. I saw cclay25's post the other day and didn't test my device at that time.

After seeing this post, I decided to test my MMS and see if I had the same issue. I sent a MMS to my wife, who's on AT&T, and she received and open the picture I sent without issue. I then had one of my employees send me a MMS and I received it, it took about 15 minutes but it came to my device just fine and I could see the picture he sent.

I can also open Excel documents with no problem.

Have you tried resending service books to the devices?
    Last edited by KalebsDad78; 10-24-2008 at 07:03 PM.
    New User? - Read the NEW USERS GUIDE

Thanks for your input. I was able to send also, receiving was the issue. I didn't clarify that.

So I have two qestions to try to figure this out more. Is your Alltel BB on BIS or BES? Did you upgrade to Docs To Go Premium or the free upgrade?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    I'm on a BES and I have the free upgrade.

Ok, so is it possible for it to be a BIS conflict only? Anyone else have my issue or like Kalebsdad have it working without problems?

I have read about others with this issue on other forums so I know its not just me

And I had jblackfish test his and his MMS won't work either with the Docs To Go upgrade.

PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    Here's a screenshot of the MMS that my device received a little bit ago, minus the personal info of course:
    Attached Images Attached Images

I can't see it via the WAP site, but I belive you LOL

I am totally ignorant about BES, could that be the difference?

dallas1125 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2576E92F
    Interesting, I got Docs to go fine but I'm on tmo. Its probably a BIS issue.

I believe it's only an Alltel issue, but haven't had time to do a lot of searching yet to see if it's other CDMA carriers. I would love to get more feedback from Alltel customers to see if it's a BIS issue vs. no problems on BES.
    Twitter? My Apps List

PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    Being on a BES shouldn't have anything to do with MMS as that as strictly network related and not controlled, per se, by the BES, other than allowing restrictions to MMS.

So then I wonder if there are some sort of security settings somewhere that can have an effect on this. Kinda like how MyAlarm wouldn't work for me for using my mp3 songs as ringtones unless I turned on the firewall.

Hmmmmm........I may need to upgrade my Docs To Go again and try some troubleshooting over the weekend........and hopefully time for more research too......thank you for your feedback, it's much appreciated.

I will not be happy until I have both working!
    Twitter? My Apps List

PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    Yeah, I mentioned it in the earlier post but didn't see a response...Have you resent the service books to each device?

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    I re-registered and re-sent service books and sent a msg. I still can't get it. I'm sending these to myself but that has worked in the past before I upgraded the Docs to Go.

I sent one to my daughter (Palm on Sprint) - she got the message AND picture. She attempted to send one back by replying to my msg with a different pic - it was delivered about 2 hours later and I could not get either the msg OR pic. Instead I got the usual "Could not retrieve message content. Try again later" msg.

So, evidently you can send MMS msgs to phones other-than BB's on 4.5 that have upgraded Doc to Go. Does that sound right? Weird.

(Sorry to wait so long to post this info - it's probably WAY late.)
    Last edited by jblackfish; 10-25-2008 at 12:18 PM. Reason: correct wording
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

OK I tried playing around with settings this morning and didn't get anywhere. I tried enabling my firewall, playing around with other security settings and nothing. And to KalebsDad, I did do battery pulls, resend service book, and reregister with the network multiple times.....doesn't fix it.

I can send to other BBs and other phones in or out of network. I just can't retrieve the contents of any of them once I have upgraded my docs to go version.

Now I'm going to see if I can save the cods to my PC with javaloader delete them from my BB then add them back with the javaloader instead of going through the dataviz site. See if it's something happening during the actual upgrade process. Or the .cods themselves......maybe a waste of time, but it's driving me nuts to not be able to figure it out

EDIT: OK, I saved all the cods via javaloader but when I tried to reload them..... javaloader said the files couldnt be opened....grrrrr.....
    Last edited by azstar; 10-25-2008 at 01:46 PM.
    Twitter? My Apps List

sabfg55 no está en línea Stack level 1
    I am running .66 and mms is working fine. I did have the same problem with .77

Just kidding, as soon as I upgrade docs to go I was back to not being able to retrieve message, I can sent.

I played around with the application permission. If I deny everything on docs to go my mms works but of course I cannot download attachments. I wonder if we find the right combination we can get both to work.
    Last edited by sabfg55; 10-25-2008 at 11:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast