Hi, helpful forum folk: I'd like to make the move to a Blackberry 8800, and ... C Spire/Cellular South forum

bchaplin no está en línea Stack level 1

Pros and Cons of TMO vs Cingular

Advertisement

Hi, helpful forum folk:

I'd like to make the move to a Blackberry 8800, and am still deciding between TMobile and Cingular. Based on research, conversations with coworkers and some personal experience with both services on a cell phone, I have compiled the following list of pros and cons. Also, as personal background, I travel to Africa (usually Nigeria) for work sometimes, and though I'm based in Boston, I vacation in the the south (VA, MD, and NC). Please comment on this list -- I'd like to know if my conclusions are correct:

TMobile Pros:
    * cheaper data-only plan ($30 vs. $45)
    * according to coworkers, TMo (as a BB data plan) works MUCH better in Africa than Cingular
    * no-fuss to switch temporarily to international plan as needed (an extra $20/month); they'll even pro-rate it; apparently Cingular is more difficult about this
    * nicer and more knowledgeable customer service, in my experience

Cingular Pros:
    * better network in some areas of the US, esp. rural parts of Virginia and (help me out here) barrier islands of North Carolina? I know for sure that TMo doesn't work at all in some places I travel in VA.
    * 15% discount through my work, though their data-only plan is still more expensive than TMo
    * their 8800 is $50 cheaper than TMo's
    * they also offer the Curve, though I'm pretty sure I want the 8800 for its GPS capabilities

Any feedback is appreciated. Decisions are difficult for me! Too bad I'm not rich; I'd just get one of each
    Last edited by bchaplin; 06-02-2007 at 10:26 AM.

sugarbutt no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241CF1B5

Re: Pros and Cons of TMO vs Cingular

Are you using it only for data? If you also have a voice plan, text messaging, etc. you might want to compare that part too. Cingular/AT&T has rollover minutes. It's been my experience that Cingular/AT&T has better rual coverage in East Texas so it also depends on where you will be traveling to.

Hope this helps

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

what do you use your phone for, more of a phone (better coverage/rollerover, cing)? data ( cheaper/edge, tmo)? its all about persoanl pref and what suits your needs the best.

bchaplin no está en línea Stack level 1

This line will be for data only, so rollover minutes are not a factor.

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

IMO i woild go with tmo, $20/month. same speeds, but you stated there are some dead spots where you travel..