I've looked for an exact answer for my questions.... Sorry I can't find it I ... C Spire/Cellular South forum

Berry-Bill no está en línea Stack level 1

Lightbulb I don't think I understand....

Advertisement

I've looked for an exact answer for my questions.... Sorry I can't find it

I know background info helps....
    My carrier is a VERY small local regional carrier in the USA that JUST launched Gprs service 2 or 3 weeks ago! They don't "support" Palm, BB, or Windows Mobile devices.... yet. BUT they have had their techs troubleshoot customers equipment and get Palm and Windows Mobile devices working properly on the network, not tried BB yet......

So here goes nothing...I'm picking some brains

1.Blackberry Data vs. Standard Data -- What exactly IS the difference?

2.Is hosted BES an alternative to BIS on a carrier that does not Support BB but has unlimited data plan that includes - Mobile Web, MMS, SMS, and Email Connect?

3. Is there ANY way my carrier can get a BB fully working on their network without them having to spend money on more hardware??
    They try to go the EXTRA Mile for customers and keep working trial and error till they get it figured out if possible!

Any info would be appreciated... even if I don't understand I'm sure my carrier would.

Just2fitz no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23C478C1

Re: I don't think I understand....

Wish I could help you man

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

1. The Blackberry uses more data the a regular mobile phone. Or stated another way a Blackberry is used more for data than regular cell phone. Therefore, a BB data plan caters to this and is reflected in cost.

2. Hosted BES is an alternative but HBES cost.. since it's provides so much more.... see the respective forums within this site and our Blackberry Database

vyperz no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    240F667B

Welcome to pinstack.com Berry-Bill!~
    vipz o';'o

Pinstack.com ~ where Blackberry Professionals Connect!
    Get your Pinstack Gear here!~

mrpink57 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    320F8773

Simple answer would be... NO. We have the BB specific data plans for the very reason Hydn explained. Your best bet would be to get there unlimited web plan or whatever and look into a PDA of some sort like a Wizard/QTek or a P910i which as BB Connect on it.

pink
    Do you know what this is? Its the world's smallest violin playing just for the waitresses.

hydn and others:
    Thanks for the replies!
    I looked at the link... read more about BES did a search found MobileWeb4u.com if I understood your post it is possible with a HBES plan I dont mind the cost, I just really don't want to switch my carrier so I might just wait it out if HBES wouldn't help... because I cant even come close to the price I pay for service now Unlimited minutes & sms $69.95, Unlimited Mobile Web would be $9.95 and I use a huge amount of minutes 2000-3000 a month. I used to have US Cellular and had $250+ a moth in charges. And I don't care for Treo because of the bugs I read about everywhere and I have owned a Windows device and it has bugs too.

twheeler no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23E261CF

Doesn't RIM use a proprietary communication of data that a carrier has to use?

Or is the data just data and can use the network?

Question Re: I don't think I understand....

twheeler:

That is the way I should have asked it in the first place
    Now an answer would be wonderful, so I can quit scratching my head on this subject

I really don't understand...:cry: I read more and it looks like the same WAP settings are used for the BB as a Moto or whatever in the posts I'be read...?
    Is that another part then I read some espescially Cingular sets up 3 or 4 entries in billing services to make a BB work WIX, WAP, blah..blah..blah.

If I use HBES I would say with my non-tech knoledge it should work...right doesn't it replace BIS.... like AOL vs Earthlink they both get you to the internet.
    :ahh::cry:
    Data is Data how can Cingular, T-moble and others have different data because I can roam nationwide with voice and data on any other type of phone so it has to be compatible data networks???

twheeler no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23E261CF

My guess is that your carrier might have to enter an agreement with RIM. They have their Blackberry Service with push technology and the whole bit. I see other phone manufactures advertising that it uses the Blackberry communication or Blackberry technology That's what leads me to believe it may be specific.

I see your point about using HBES. If they have the service for you to piggback off of, all you should need is a way to reach their servers right? Wow, that makes more sense after actually typing it out and seeing it in front of me. I guess in theory, Cingular and t-mobile are just REALLY big hosting companies.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Carriers do have to have connections to RIM's network as I understand it.