Hiya, I've got a Pearl 8100 locked to orange UK (so no blackberry website for ... C Spire/Cellular South forum

Mighty Gof no está en línea Stack level 1

How to set up Opera on Orange Blackberry UK

Advertisement

Hiya,

I've got a Pearl 8100 locked to orange UK (so no blackberry website for me)!

I tried to install Opera mini but it tries all these tests and doesnt manage to connect. Anyoen on Orange figured out how to do this?

Cheers

Pete

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: How to set up Opera on Orange Blackberry UK

Do you have a BIS and data plan from Orange?

See this page:
    http://www.operamini.com/help/connect/

Mighty Gof no está en línea Stack level 1

Yup - got a data plan - I'm on a business account.

I use it to check email and surf the net usin the dreadful orangeworld browser!

gazar no está en línea Stack level 5

I am on 02 UK and although they say they do not support opera mini it will work if you download it and enter the correct APN settings for Orange !!

I also have BB browser, but I had to ask o2 technical support to add it.

Eth
    Eth no está en línea Stack level 1

I'm in the same boat as Mighty Gof here ... can't run anything that needs Blackberry Browser and can't install Opera. Ideally I want to run all 3, BB, Orangeworld and Opera and choose myself which one to use. Why do all phone companies have to act like arses ... it just pisses people off. If orange provide a good service people will come back for more. This rationale seems to be lost on them

alfonzo88hundre no está en línea Stack level 1

Yeah Service providers do like to act like children and not let you touch there toys with out there say so.

But you can instal opera or minimo or any other browser you just need to check the APN settings as previously stated

I even had a comment from one of the guys on the help lines saying id get charged more for using a non Service provider browser, Why ? because i can acctually access pages and sites i want to ?

vince1 no está en línea Community Pro
    PIN/ID
    Stack

Be carefull with APN as I am in Ireland using 02 and used opera for 3 weeks and then found out it had cost me Ł100. I have a data plan but only through the bb browser. Opera uses a different connection and I was paying through the nose for it. Fighting with them for a credit on this.
    So check with your carrier before you enter the APN settings.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

liamski no está en línea Stack level 1

AW: Re: How to set up Opera on Orange Blackberry UK

Quote Originally Posted by vince1 View Post
    Be carefull with APN as I am in Ireland using 02 and used opera for 3 weeks and then found out it had cost me Ł100. I have a data plan but only through the bb browser. Opera uses a different connection and I was paying through the nose for it. Fighting with them for a credit on this.
    So check with your carrier before you enter the APN settings.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    This is a real pain in the arse

I've just got an 8320 on Orange, and now I find I cant use Opera unless I pay extra for non-blackberry data

I should have gone with O2 or TMobile with their more generous and flexible data packages

Worm no está en línea Stack level 1

I can't speak for Orange but what you are paying for is blackberry service, that is, connection to RIM and a BIS account, typically you'll also get 5-6MB of "blackberry" data usage with a BIS package.

You have basically leased part of a pipe to RIM. Using a browser(or any app) which is connecting to things way outside this pipe, hence having to enter APN settings for TCP, will be charged for (will just be normal carrier rates generally).

I would take this as red unless explicitly stated otherwise e.g bundles.

cheers

Worm