Was looking at the new Bell $15 Unlimited Email plan and noticed that it says ... C Spire/Cellular South forum

kwong26 no está en línea Stack level 1

Question How can Internet be prevented with BB Plan?

Advertisement

Was looking at the new Bell $15 Unlimited Email plan and noticed that it says unlimited email & BB Messenger, but no internet. If you have a BB data plan, how can they prevent you from using the internet for browsing, is it not just BB data? Is BB browser or Opera the same as the regular 1X Browser that regular phones use?

bell. ca/ shopping/ PrsShpPromo_Wls_DataFeatures. page? INT=MOB_SA_Q4_Data_LM_wlpbest

I can't post URLs, so had to manipulate the link so that you can see the Bell plan, you'll just need to get rid of the spaces.

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Re: How can Internet be prevented with BB Plan?

Unless the carrier send the proper servicebook to your handheld, the browser will not work, there won't even be an icon for it.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

XLiMBS no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    20F3D846

The carriers are also able to block the ports for which internet data travels through, so even if you were to have the service books it still wouldn't work.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

kwong26 no está en línea Stack level 1

Thanks for the information.

Bell usually throws in 1X Browser Pay Per Use on all plans at like $12 /MB, which is ridiculous. So if I were to get this type of plan on a BB, assuming that I have the BB browser icon and if I understand correctly it means I have the service book for browsing, would I be browsing using a 1X browser at this point or would I just not get any browsing cause it's a BB browser service book? I read somewhere that a 1X Browser only applies to non-BB phones and that RIM data is the same when on a BB regardless of email or internet.

Sorry for all the newbie questions.

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

RIM data is the same whether e-mail or data when on an unlimited data plan for most carriers. Yours however specifies e-mail and bb messenger only, so if you were to get data through the device, it would probably be billed at a per kb cost range (pay per use). The e-mail and BB messenger goes through RIM servers, so therefor they can block the data transfer and the ports snd proxies if they so choose (this is why the browsers can be locked out without the correct service books in place).