Does the signal strength of the GPRS make a difference in how fast the BB ... C Spire/Cellular South forum

twheeler no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23E261CF

Download Speed

Advertisement

Does the signal strength of the GPRS make a difference in how fast the BB downloads and transfers info?

vyperz no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    240F667B
    I'm going to assume the speed may drop slightly, this would be a great test to try out. Maybe hydn can give us his thoughts on this.

Yoohooo HYDN!~ Come out come out, where ever you are...?

Twheeler, maybe you can throw a 20oz steak on your fishing pole to lure him out of his crackberry cave.
    vipz o';'o

Pinstack.com ~ where Blackberry Professionals Connect!
    Get your Pinstack Gear here!~

andrebsd no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    240F09FB

Re: Download Speed

I was wondering about this before and once in a while over the past month or so would do a speed test. I get all bars in my house here, and about 1 or 2 when I visit my girlfriend or on the college campus.

Turns out that I pretty much always got the same speed. Wether it was on the blackberry itself, or teathered to my laptop. I always assumed it would be different with a full signal or almost nothing. Though I am glad to see that, at least in my case, it didn't matter. I was always thinking to myself "argh! this thing is slower than normal" when I was on the college campus since I only get 1-2 bars there; I guess I just want information quick.

FYI: I run T-Mobile (US), GPRS Internet. - So I dunno, maybe it makes a difference with other platforms, such as EDGE. I'd test EDGE but my 7100t doesn't support it, apperently T-Mobile in my area does though.

aosmith Guest

It only has a slight effect on both GPRS or EDGE. There is a certain point where service goes from a certain level to none at all.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

I just got a 7105t 2 weeks ago and this thing has held a strong signal since it was activated. MUCH better than 3 Sidekicks and I can use it in my own house without it ever dropping below 3 bars. What a relief to finally have a phone I can use without wanting to throw it.

BryanSE79 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    304CDF5D

Quote Originally Posted by twheeler
    Does the signal strength of the GPRS make a difference in how fast the BB downloads and transfers info?
    Yes and no. Its more like a digital tv transmission. With old analog tv, the farther from the signal, the more static/snow the image will have. With digital transmissions, as long as you get signal, it will work. Sorta the same thing with Mobile service. As long as there is usable signal, you should not see a difference. There is maybe a slight difference from having full signal, to having marginal signal, but not enough to notice.

Hope that helps!