Yahoo (via Reuters) is reporting that DoCoMo is temporarily suspending sales of the Bold due ... C Spire/Cellular South forum

RedNightHawk no está en línea Stack level 3

DoCoMo Japan Bold Overheating issues

Advertisement

Yahoo (via Reuters) is reporting that DoCoMo is temporarily suspending sales of the Bold due to issues with batteries overheating when recharging.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/0...omo_blackberry

It's a very short article, but if you don't want to read it here's a few things of note...

- According to the article DoCoMo is Japan's largest carrier.
    - They've sold about 4000 units, of which 30 people complained of overheating issues (no fires or injuries). Though that's only 0.75 percent it's obviously smarter to take action rather than wait until someone gets hurt.
    - RIM doesn't think it's a bad battery issue, but isn't sure yet what's causing the issue, and it's localized to the Japan market.
    - They only started selling the Bold a week ago(http://na.blackberry.com/eng/newsroo...se.jsp?id=2073) which accounts for only 4000 units being sold. Well, that, and the fact that Asian markets are usually a generation or two ahead of North American technology so the BB's won't have as much of a wow factor there. I would imagine 4000 Bolds were sold within minutes of becoming available in North America. I think the BB service was also only recently introduced to Japan, but not sure about that.
    Last edited by RedNightHawk; 02-27-2009 at 07:09 AM. Reason: typo fix

reddrvgon no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    I read another thread on this, and thanks for the excrepts of the article... I'm just glad this is an issue restricted to the japan market...
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

Womble_Lancs no está en línea Stack level 1
    Hmm, I have just got my new BB Bold today, and it is very hot to the touch. I'm in the UK. I'll see how it goes, but I may get in touch with T-Mobile tomorrow and tell them that I'm worried about the temperature of it.

Womble_Lancs no está en línea Stack level 1
    Update. My new BB Bold is dead. It got very hot and then the screen went blank. I tried removing the battery and putting it back in, and the red light came on, went off and that was it. Nothing. I plugged in the charger and the screen now shows a picture of a battery with a line through it.

I've rung T-Mobile and they're sending me another one.

reddrvgon no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    Wow... That's just bad... must have been a problem for sure...

Just an fyi, the operating temperature for a bold's battery is usually 35c... If it gues up to 39c, the phone will automatically stop charging (if you had it on charger)...

And 45c should be as hot as it gets... And even that isn't good... Mine hovers between 35c and 39c occasionally when I go crazy...
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~