Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Prerequisites: BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.1 and later Microsoft Windows® 2000 and Windows XP Laptop computer ... C Spire/Cellular South forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Blog Entries

How To: Connect PC or laptop to internet using a CDMA BlackBerry as a tethered modem

Prerequisites:
    • BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.1 and later
    • Microsoft Windows® 2000 and Windows XP
    • Laptop computer with an Intel 486 or higher processor
    Note: Pinstack.com does not support the set up of a tethered modem. If you encounter a problem while administering this procedure, please contact your service provider.

Important: Contact your service provider to determine if additional charges are incorporated for Internet traffic when using the BlackBerry wireless device as a tethered modem. For Task 4, contact your service provider for the required user name and password to configure the dial-up networking.

Let's get started...
    A BlackBerry device (with tethered modem capability) can be used as an external modem to connect a laptop computer to the Internet.

Summary of Steps

To set up a tethered modem, complete the following tasks:
    1. Install BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.1 (one time only)
    2. Set up dial-up networking (one time only)
    3. Connect the BlackBerry device to BlackBerry Desktop Manager
    4. Connect to the Internet using dial-up networking
    Step 1

Install BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.1 on the laptop computer.
    When you install desktop software, the drivers that enable the BlackBerry device to communicate through the USB port and virtual COM port are installed. The Standard Modem, which is used by dial-up networking, is also installed.
    Note: If you are upgrading your Desktop Software from version 4.0 to 4.1, the required Virtual COM Port and Standard Modem might be removed during the upgrade process. If this is the case, re-install BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.1 and choose the Repair option to re-install these components.

Step 2

Set up dial-up networking.
    Note: During the setup procedure, enter a user name or password if necessary. Contact your service provider to determine the user name and password. If you have multiple modems, ensure the Standard Modem is selected.
    Windows XP Operating Systems
    1. Go to Start > Settings > Network Connections.
    2. Double-click New Connection Wizard. The New Connection Wizard opens.
    3. Click Next.
    4. Complete one of the following steps:
      1. Select the Connect to the Internet option. Click Next.
      2. Select Setup my connection manually. Click Next.
      3. Select Connect using a dial-up modem. Click Next.
      4. In the ISP Name field, type a name for your connection. Click Next.
      5. In the Phone number field, type #777. Click Next.
      6. Select those users who have access to the connection.
      7. Enter the User name and Password provided by your service provider and click Next.
      8. Click Finish.
      OR
      1. Select the Connect to the network at my workplace option. Click Next.
      2. Select the Dial-up Connection option. Click Next.
      3. In the Company Name field, type a name for your connection. Click Next.
      4. In the Phone number field, type #777 and click Next.
      5. Select those users who have access to the connection.
      6. Click Next, then Finish.
    Windows 2000 Operating Systems
    1. Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel.
    2. Double-click Network and Dial-up Connections.
    3. Double-click Make New Connection. The Network Connection Wizard opens.
    4. Click Next.
    5. Choose Dial-up to private network. Click Next.
    6. Verify that only the Standard Modem check box is selected. This is the modem that was created during the desktop software installation.
    7. In the Phone number field, type #777 and click Next.
    8. Select who has access to the connection. Click Next.
    9. Name the connection (for example, BlackBerry 7130e). Click Finish.
    Step 3

Connect the BlackBerry device to the computer and verify that Desktop Manager displays Connected. The device must be identified by Desktop Manager in order for the modem to establish a connection.
    Important: The Desktop Manager must be running for the tethered modem to function.

Step 4

Connect to the Internet using dial-up networking.
    Note: During this procedure, do not operate the BlackBerry Browser or any third-party applications on the BlackBerry device. An active data session may interfere with the modem connection. Also, ensure an ethernet connection is not active at the same time.
    1. Connect the device to the laptop computer.
    2. Open Desktop Manager.
    3. Click Start > Settings > Network Connections > <name of="" your="" new="" connection=""></name>.
    4. Enter your Windows user name and password, unless none is required by the service provider. Click OK.
    5. Click Dial. When a modem call is active, Modem Mode Enabled appears on the device.

shawnlesky no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: How To: Connect PC or laptop to internet using a CDMA BlackBerry as a tethered modem

I have an 8700g and when I do this:

"

pirateman no está en línea Stack level 1
    when you connected are you being charged for data or air time?

tick48 no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs up Re: How To: Connect PC or laptop to internet using a CDMA BlackBerry as a tethered modem

Sprint's Communication Manager doesn't install on W2K3E Server so I ended up using this method.

Thanks Hayden for this very useful info!!

The only catch with this method is that the data connection gets dropped whenever there is an incoming voice call. Is there any way to set the 8703e to forward to voicemail during a data session? I suppose I could manually forward to voice mail but this is a pain in the butt.

billytickets no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: How To: Connect PC or laptop to internet using a CDMA BlackBerry as a tethered modem

will this work for vista ?

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Doubt it, but please try and let us know if you have any progress. I would try but I dont have vista...

tfogarty no está en línea Stack level 1

VIOLA! VISTA Home Premium 64 Bit Edition, Conn. Mgr. 4.2.1 (SP1), and SPRINT Mobile Broadband...

I dont know how this works, but heres how I did it.

1. Installed Connection Manager 4.2.1 (SP1)
    2. Connected blackberry via USB cables
    3. Installed the Sprint PCS Mobile Broadband Phone-as-Modem
    4. Got an error message, ignored it...
    5. Ran the exe CMSPCS from the /program files(x86)/sprint/ directory.
    6. Says - connect phone - won't recognize it... its okay...
    7. Opened 'connect to' - 'internet' - dial up connection - using 'standard modem' (on mine its COM4) - phone number = #777 - no user/pass - connected fine.

now i'm entering this on mobile broadband!!

Hope this helps!

ericshmerick no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32B9FC53

Re: How To: Connect PC or laptop to internet using a CDMA BlackBerry as a tethered mo

Quote Originally Posted by tfogarty
    VIOLA! VISTA Home Premium 64 Bit Edition, Conn. Mgr. 4.2.1 (SP1), and SPRINT Mobile Broadband...

7. Opened 'connect to' - 'internet' - dial up connection - using 'standard modem' (on mine its COM4) - phone number = #777 - no user/pass - connected fine.

Hope this helps!
    Awesome! Thanks a bunch. I can now use PAM on Vista! (I'm on it right now!!)

GreeneBerry no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    7130e

Question Re: How To: Connect PC or laptop to internet using a CDMA BlackBerry as a tethered mo

I'm trying to set this up for my boss-he has a 7130e on Verizon. Is there no way for him to do this without subscribing to their Tethered Access Service? He doesn't even need EVDO speeds-just dial-up. Thanks for any help on this.

PIN/ID
    3056468b

Re: How To: Connect PC or laptop to internet using a CDMA BlackBerry as a tethered mo

Quote Originally Posted by GreeneBerry
    I'm trying to set this up for my boss-he has a 7130e on Verizon. Is there no way for him to do this without subscribing to their Tethered Access Service? He doesn't even need EVDO speeds-just dial-up. Thanks for any help on this.
    Many carriers require you to sign up for tethering. Sprint is the only cdma carrier I can confirm allows free tethering with a data plan.

diane h no está en línea Stack level 1

Smile Re: How To: Connect PC or laptop to internet using a CDMA BlackBerry as a tethered modem

I love you !!!! I've spent so much time trying to do this and finally sucess !!!!!!!! Thank You !!!!!

fviz no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs up Re: How To: Connect PC or laptop to internet using a CDMA BlackBerry as a tethered mo

Originally Posted by tfogarty

Hope this helps!

MY DEAR FRIEND THIS WAS AMAZING, THANX A LOT, THE VERY FIRST MOMENT I TRY TO CONECT FOLLOWING YOUR ADDS INSTANTLY DID IT...........THANX AGAIN

MerrittJ no está en línea Stack level 1

[quote=hayden]Prerequisites:
    • BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.1 and later
    • Microsoft Windows® 2000 and Windows XP
    • Laptop computer with an Intel 486 or higher processor
    Note: Pinstack.com does not support the set up of a tethered modem. If you encounter a problem while administering this procedure, please contact your service provider.

Important: Contact your service provider to determine if additional charges are incorporated for Internet traffic when using the BlackBerry wireless device as a tethered modem. For Task 4, contact your service provider for the required user name and password to configure the dial-up networking.

Let's get started...
    A BlackBerry device (with tethered modem capability) can be used as an external modem to connect a laptop computer to the Internet.

Summary of Steps

To set up a tethered modem, complete the following tasks:
    1. Install BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.1 (one time only)
    2. Set up dial-up networking (one time only)
    3. Connect the BlackBerry device to BlackBerry Desktop Manager
    4. Connect to the Internet using dial-up networking
    Step 1

Install BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.1 on the laptop computer.
    When you install desktop software, the drivers that enable the BlackBerry device to communicate through the USB port and virtual COM port are installed. The Standard Modem, which is used by dial-up networking, is also installed.
    Note: If you are upgrading your Desktop Software from version 4.0 to 4.1, the required Virtual COM Port and Standard Modem might be removed during the upgrade process. If this is the case, re-install BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.1 and choose the Repair option to re-install these components.

Step 2

Set up dial-up networking.
    Note: During the setup procedure, enter a user name or password if necessary. Contact your service provider to determine the user name and password. If you have multiple modems, ensure the Standard Modem is selected.
    Windows XP Operating Systems
    1. Go to Start > Settings > Network Connections.
    2. Double-click New Connection Wizard. The New Connection Wizard opens.
    3. Click Next.
    4. Complete one of the following steps:
      1. Select the Connect to the Internet option. Click Next.
      2. Select Setup my connection manually. Click Next.
      3. Select Connect using a dial-up modem. Click Next.
      4. In the ISP Name field, type a name for your connection. Click Next.
      5. In the Phone number field, type #777. Click Next.
      6. Select those users who have access to the connection.
      7. Enter the User name and Password provided by your service provider and click Next.
      8. Click Finish.
      OR
      1. Select the Connect to the network at my workplace option. Click Next.
      2. Select the Dial-up Connection option. Click Next.
      3. In the Company Name field, type a name for your connection. Click Next.
      4. In the Phone number field, type #777 and click Next.
      5. Select those users who have access to the connection.
      6. Click Next, then Finish.
    Windows 2000 Operating Systems
    1. Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel.
    2. Double-click Network and Dial-up Connections.
    3. Double-click Make New Connection. The Network Connection Wizard opens.
    4. Click Next.
    5. Choose Dial-up to private network. Click Next.
    6. Verify that only the Standard Modem check box is selected. This is the modem that was created during the desktop software installation.
    7. In the Phone number field, type #777 and click Next.
    8. Select who has access to the connection. Click Next.
    9. Name the connection (for example, BlackBerry 7130e). Click Finish.
    Step 3

Connect the BlackBerry device to the computer and verify that Desktop Manager displays Connected. The device must be identified by Desktop Manager in order for the modem to establish a connection.
    Important: The Desktop Manager must be running for the tethered modem to function.

Step 4

Connect to the Internet using dial-up networking.
    Note: During this procedure, do not operate the BlackBerry Browser or any third-party applications on the BlackBerry device. An active data session may interfere with the modem connection. Also, ensure an ethernet connection is not active at the same time.
    1. Connect the device to the laptop computer.
    2. Open Desktop Manager.
    3. Click Start > Settings > Network Connections > <name of="" your="" new="" connection=""></name>.
    4. Enter your Windows user name and password, unless none is required by the service provider. Click OK.
    5. Click Dial. When a modem call is active, Modem Mode Enabled appears on the device.
    Last edited by MerrittJ; 08-16-2007 at 05:57 PM.

tdisom no está en línea Stack level 2

Has anyone tried this with the BB pearl 8100 and tmobile?

PIN/ID
    3056468b

Since this is a thread for the CDMA BB you might want to look here... http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ht=pearl+modem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast