Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Great forum!! Pls keep up with this good job... C Spire/Cellular South forum

gchi no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: How To: Connect a PC to the Internet using a GPRS or EDGE Blackberry as modem

Advertisement

Great forum!!

Pls keep up with this good job

mwhitlow no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: How To: Connect a PC to the Internet using a GPRS or EDGE Blackberry as modem

I need to set this up with vista! Anyone know if it is about the same?
    Morgan Whitlow

gttonymia no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs up Re: How To: Connect a PC to the Internet using a GPRS or EDGE Blackberry as modem

Thank you for this insight. Yesterday I was stock at LGA for four hours waiting for my flight home and couldn't get access to the internet.

If this works, you would have certainly help me greatly.

Good post nonetheless.

jachromatic no está en línea Stack level 1

Smile Re: How To: Connect a PC to the Internet using a GPRS or EDGE Blackberry as modem

Hi all, I have the Pearl 8100 from T-Mobile. I wanted to use my phone as a modem so I can connect it to my laptop. I called blackberry technical support and they walked me through the whole process.

Some key things are unlimited data plan(unlimited internet access)
    Make sure the Blackberry device manager is loaded on your laptop.
    And the two most important things are, don't use the cell phone while trying to connect to the laptop and make sure the phone is charged.

:coolJachromatic

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

updated OP

Erogers15 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    306371F8

bluetooth

Can you do this over a bluetooth connection

BRGFATHER no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    249EF5E7

While connected can you stream audion on your laptop.

Team PINSTACK,

I am going to the race this weekend and want to be able to listen to our local high school baseball playoff games on my laptop. I have not set up the BB with the laptop yet but would like to know if listening to streaming audio using the BB as a modem is possible before going through the set up.

I have a 8310 with ATT.

Thanks,

GK

BobCool no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    241b21d7
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

theoellis no está en línea Stack level 2
    I also have ATT. Curve 8310 I want to try this when I get home. But my question is this....although I don't have a tether plan will this work? And if so will I be charged extra? Like maybe a per kilobyte use? I currently have an unlimited data plan with international roaming included

nullifier no está en línea Stack level 1

Tethering your Blackberry with Alltel: A How-To.

Alltel makes life really easy:

Follow the OP to install the 'standard modem' device.

-Create a new connection:
    • In XP simply run the wizard by opening the control panel and double clicking "Network Setup Wizard"
    • Select the option "Connect to the Internet"
    • Then "Set up my connection manually"
    • Select "Connect using a Dial-up modem"
    • Next, you can name the connection whatever you so choose.
    • Enter #777 for the dialed phone number.
    • Now for the fun part. In username, enter "yourfirstnameyourlastname" That's your first name, followed by your last name. NO SPACE, NO CAPITALS. If you happen to have a hypen or ' or any punctuation in your last or first name, leave it out. That includes prefixes or suffixes (leave them out) The name you enter MUST BE THE NAME OF THE PERSON ON THE BILL. And, don't put in the "quotes" either, before you ask.
    • In password enter: "Alltel" without the quotes, Yes the A is capitalized.
    Finish, and locate the connection in Network Connections (in the control panel).

• Select it, then right click it and select "properties"
    • In the "General" tab, click the button "Configure"
    • In the "Maximum speed (bps)" dropdown, select 921600
    • Ensure JUST the "enable hardware flow control" box is checked. If any others are checked, uncheck them. Click OK.
    • In the "Options" tab you can also uncheck "prompt for name, password, certificate" and the "prompt for phone number" boxes. This is obviously optional, but you shouldn't EVER need to change this information. Without them checked it saves you a click and goes immediately to connecting when you initiate the connection.
    • Change the dropdown for "idle time before hanging up" to "never"
    • In the "Security" tab: Select the option "Advanced" and click the "Settings button. Select the "allow protocols" option if it is not already selected then below that Uncheck EVERYTHING, except "Unencrypted password (PAP)" A question box will pop up asking if you wish to keep these settings. Say yes.
    For you advanced people, this just speeds up the handshake, as there is no encryption needed on PPP over EDGE/GSM, it's already encrypted. Instead of 15 seconds connecting, it's more like 2-3. And yes, selecting 916200 baud does increase your connection speed, simply by lowering the latency between you and the BB. For me, I get 1400kbit/s with 921600, and 860kbit/s with 115200. Noticable.

You're done, now plug up your BB. Double click the connection you just created and you _SHOULD_ be on your way.

A couple of notes:
    If you want the best connection possible, enable the digital signal strength meter. Move the phone around until you find the LOWEST number possible. (Strength is measured in -dB)
    If you live in an area where the signal strength is really bad, consider an external cellular antenna. Most BBs support them. I use one at work, and usually go from -85dB 1X, to -76dB EVDO. This DRAMATICALLY improves latency and speed.
    Remember that your BB gets hot when it's in use. Generally speaking it's just 'warm' but some, like the curve, get to what I would call 'hot' (106F surface temp on the battery) after prolonged usage as a modem. Remove any cases, or silicon skins from your device when you tether it, it will save your batterys overall lifetime. I point a little fan at mine, you can also remove the battery door, it helps a little bit.
    Use the data cable that came with your blackberry to tether. Plug directly into your computer, don't use a hub. (latency again)
    Disable any software that is running on your phone before you tether. If you can't or don't know how to stop it, remove your battery and restart the phone. Tether before you use any applications. Palringo comes to mind here.
    If you get a call on your device while you're tethered, you can answer, talk, and end the call and still be tethered IF you leave the cable plugged into the phone. The data session will halt, but will immediately resume when you hang up. Same goes for SMS.
    If your computer has an internal bluetooth adapter, or you have an external dongle, it is possible to tether with this as well, however you will NOT get a very fast connection as bluetooth is VERY latent in respect to a data transfer. It nearly halfs my download/upload rates. Because of this I won't go over the setup, you can figure it out yourself if you're interested, I do this for my carputer.

I think I've covered all the neccesary and incidental information. Good luck Alltel BBers'. Verizon is gonna cry when they get locked into our unlimited data plan! I do over 160gb/month of transfers.

lcgtr no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24ACB469
    looks frustrating just by reading all that lol. i tried this once and got confused. im on t-mobile running 4.5 with the 8100 on windows vista.
    Media POWERHOUSE- 8900 Curve
    When your surrounded by the Palm Pre, Iphone 3gs and T-mobile mytouch (G2) makes me wonder about blackberry.

nullifier no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by lcgtr View Post
    looks frustrating just by reading all that lol. i tried this once and got confused. im on t-mobile running 4.5 with the 8100 on windows vista.
    I just wrote a full set of instructions. Most people don't need to do all that unless they're using Alltel.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345