Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

How To - Connect a personal computer or laptop to the Internet using a GPRS ... C Spire/Cellular South forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

How To: Connect a PC to the Internet using a GPRS or EDGE Blackberry as modem

Advertisement

How To - Connect a personal computer or laptop to the Internet using a GPRS or EDGE BlackBerry device as a tethered modem

Note: Research In Motion provides some support for the tethered modem; the installation of the Standard Modem Driver is supported.
    Research In Motion (RIM) supports the Standard Modem Driver. This driver is installed with BlackBerry® Desktop Manager. After installing BlackBerry Desktop Manager, the modem should appear in Windows® Device Manager. Use the steps below to check the Device Manager:
    1. Right-click the My Computer icon on the desktop, or go to the Start button and right-click My Computer from the Start menu.
    2. Click Properties from the menu that appears.
    3. Go to the Hardware tab in the System Properties window.
    4. Click the Device Manager button. This will open the Device Manager.
    Important: Contact your service provider to obtain the user name and password you require to configure dial-up networking. Also, ask your service provider if additional charges are incorporated when connecting to the Internet using the BlackBerry as a tethered modem.

Procedure

A BlackBerry smartphone with tethered modem capabilities can be used as an external modem to connect a computer or laptop computer to the Internet.
    Summary of Tasks
    To set up a tethered modem, complete the following tasks:
    1. Install BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.1 or later (one time only).
    2. Set up the Internet access point name (APN) (one time only).
    3. Configure dial-up networking (one time only).
    4. Connect to the Internet using dial-up networking.

Task 1
    Install BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.1 or later on the computer.
    When you install BlackBerry Desktop Software, the drivers that allow the BlackBerry smartphone to communicate through the Universal Serial Bus (USB) port and virtual COM port are installed. The Standard Modem, which is used by dial-up networking, is also installed.

Note: If upgrading your BlackBerry Desktop Software from version 4.0 to 4.1, the required Virtual COM Port and Standard Modem might be removed during the upgrade process. If this is the case, re-install the BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.1 or later and choose the Repair option to re-install these components.

Task 2
    Set up an Internet APN.
    1. Click Start > Settings > Control Panel.
    2. Double-click Phone and Modem Options.
    3. In the Phone and Modem Options window, click the Modems tab.
    4. Select Standard Modem and click Properties.
    5. Click Change Settings.
    6. In the Standard Modem Properties window, click the Advanced tab.
    7. In the Extra initialization commands field, type the following: +cgdcont=1,"IP","<your Internet APN>"
      Note: The following is applicable for T-Mobile® customers only:
      The extra initialization command is: +cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"
      Note: If you do not know your Internet APN, or if you do not have an Internet APN, contact your service provider.
    8. Click OK.
    9. In the Phone and Modem Options window, click OK.

Task 3
    To configure dial-up networking, complete the procedure that is appropriate to the operating system you are using:
    Microsoft Windows Vista
    Click Start > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Phone and Modem Options
    If you are opening Phone and Modem Options for the first time, a dialog box displays prompting you to enter an area code and access codes.
    Windows XP operating system
    1. Click Start > Settings > Network Connections.
    2. Double-click New Connection Wizard. The New Connection Wizard opens.
    3. Click Next.
    4. Select the Connect to the Internet option. Click Next.
    5. Select Set up my connection manually. Click Next.
    6. Select Connect using a dial-up modem. Click Next.
    7. If the Select a Device screen appears, select the Modem - Standard Modem check box. Click Next.
    8. In the ISP Name field, type a name for your connection. Click Next.
    9. In the Phone number field, type *99#. Click Next.
    10. Indicate which users will have access to the connection. Click Next.
    11. Type the user name and password provided by your service provider. Click Next.
    12. Click Finish.
    13. In the Connect window, click Properties.
    14. In the Properties window, verify that Modem - Standard Modem appears beneath the Connect using heading, and then click Configure.
    15. In the Modem Configuration window, clear the Enable hardware flow control check box and make sure none of the other check boxes are selected. Click OK. In the Properties window, click OK.
    Microsoft Windows 2000 operating system
    1. Click Start > Settings > Control Panel.
    2. Double-click Network and Dial-up Connections. Note: The following is applicable for T-Mobile customers only:
      Under the networking tab in the properties window for the dial-up connection, clear the Enable LCP Extensions check box, as well as every other box beneath the PPP window.
    3. Double-click Make New Connection. The Network Connection Wizard opens.
    4. Click Next.
    5. Choose Dial-up to private network. Click Next.
    6. In the Phone number field, type *99#. Click Next.
    7. Indicate which users will have access to the connection. Click Next.
    8. Type a name for your connection. Click Finish.
    9. In the Connect window, click Properties.
    10. In the Properties window, verify that Modem - Standard Modem is selected, then click Configure.
    11. In the Modem Configuration window, clear the Enable hardware flow control check box and make sure none of the other check boxes are selected. Click OK.
    12. In the Properties window, click OK.
    Task 4
    Connect to the Internet using dial-up networking.
    Note: During this procedure, do not operate the BlackBerry Browser or any third-party applications on the BlackBerry smartphone. An active data session may interfere with the modem connection. Also, make sure an ethernet connection is not active at the same time.
    1. Connect the BlackBerry smartphone to the computer.
    2. Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    3. Click Start > Settings > Network Connections > <name of your new connection>.
    4. Type the user name and password provided by your service provider.
    5. Click Dial.
    Last edited by hayden; 02-22-2008 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Updated

secobarbital no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: How To: Connect a PC to the Internet using a GPRS or EDGE Blackberry as modem

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Anyone done this for a mac?

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: How To: Connect a PC to the Internet using a GPRS or EDGE Blackberry as modem

Quote Originally Posted by secobarbital
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Anyone done this for a mac?
    there some info on that here:
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...splay.php?f=56

We don't have complete documentation on that yet though. Working on it. Welcome to pinstack!

secobarbital no está en línea Stack level 1

Thank you! Just got my first BB on independence day

rynmar109 no está en línea Stack level 1

I have been trying to get the 8700g to work as a modem with cincinnati bell with no luck... any advice and/or links would be great. Thanks!

mocosoplus no está en línea Stack level 1

For TELCEL users, the number to dial is *99#~, the APN is internet.itelcel.com, no need for username or password, this carrier works for Mexico and some places in Latin América, they recently made bussiness partners with Vodaphone. Some other carriers work with #777 or #95.

wolfi622 no está en línea Stack level 1

Good morning,

I'm trying this out and I get an error "692. There was a hardware failure in the modem". I have desktop manager running an connected to the BB. All other settings/strings are correct per the above instructions. Any idea what I've done wrong?

Thanks!!

Asiegel no está en línea Stack level 1

I am a beginner at this, how do I find my APN?

Asiegel no está en línea Stack level 1

I found it. Thanks anyway.

johnnyh no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23d4732b

I am a beginner at this, how do I find my APN?
    8700g T-Mobile

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Options>Settings>Advanced Options>TCP. The APN will say, for example, wap.voicestream.com.

cubarican87 no está en línea Stack level 1

how do i go about finding my isp number?

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Contact your internet service provider.

Browneyess no está en línea Stack level 1

I have the new pearl and although i have my blackberry working withmmy labtop without downloading the 4.1 software. Will it go faster if i download it.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Browneyess, No, It won't. Are you using the version of Desktop Manager that came with your BB? That one should be 4.2. so you are using DM 4.1 or later. Besides, You need 4.2 to do the other things that DM does with your BB.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast