Page 34 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2930313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Originally Posted by racerxe24 While I am thinking the galaxy s will probably be my ... C Spire/Cellular South forum

pmarshall no está en línea Stack Professional

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by racerxe24 View Post
    While I am thinking the galaxy s will probably be my next phone, I am sure by the time Cell South gets it there will be something newer and greater and better. I will probably get it because like garb said, CellSouth will probably not have 4g like speeds for another 2 years and the galaxy s should be able to run whatever is out there for a while. I have had the droid since it came out and have really enjoyed the phone, but can see the limitations of it coming to an end with gingerbread(3.0). I think that a phone like the galaxy s will be able to carry on until 4g phones start rolling out. I have always loved CellSouth's service and customer service but the lack of phones is what has me on the evil Verizon. While I do pay more, I only pay about $100 a month with my discounts for being a state employee. And I understand where PM is coming from in the testing rant. I got the BB Storm on the first day and still feel like Verizon should have paid me to use that piece of crap. But by the same token, you don't want to get a phone that is close to obsolete when you get it... like the Milestone will be for gingerbread. It is just a matter of what one wants to do or is willing to pay or put up with. And I sure do hope that the galaxy Cell South is getting is the full blown one like the others are getting.....
    i agree with every word. The Galaxy S is pretty much far ahead of the game in many ways.
    HAHA HERO, MY TOUCH

garblicks no está en línea Stack level 4
    hey guys if this article is correct u might as well wait on the desire or galaxy bc the milestone will not get 3.0 http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=225701993 or this http://www.unwiredview.com/2010/06/3...d-oct-release/ or this http://www.unwiredview.com/2010/06/2...or-custom-uis/
    Last edited by garblicks; 07-07-2010 at 07:23 PM.

i liked what moto is doing with motoblur on the droid x. this is in the last article i posted
    Motorola must be the first to see the writing on the wall, and let Google take over the overall user experience. Motoblur is now just another Android app, that comes pre-installed on the handset. It does what it does pretty well, some Droid X users may love it. And, if they keep investing and developing it, Blur service can be a good point of differentiation for Motorola. But, by relegating the Blur to an Android app status, Motorola can move much faster both with OS, and Blur app upgrades.

mclovin07 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Ive been reading some about android 3.0. As far as the ui is concerned, does this mean that all android phones with 3.0 will be using the same UI. Any answers are well appreciated.

yep from what I've read

jbreakfield no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by garblicks View Post
    hey guys if this article is correct u might as well wait on the desire or galaxy bc the milestone will not get 3.0 http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=225701993 or this http://www.unwiredview.com/2010/06/3...d-oct-release/ or this http://www.unwiredview.com/2010/06/2...or-custom-uis/
    Hey garb, did you see that those minimum specs for gingerbread were de-bunked?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/07...oid-engineers/

I've seen it. its on one of the articles I pasted. just about every article I've read saysthe droid/milestone is not gonna get it. I don't no though. it has 2 things in its favor a vanilla os and the sheer number of folks who own the device.

I'm still rolling with the desire unless it gets pushed back. I'll say this if the milestone isn't released next week cs should release them both on the same day.

racerxe24 no está en línea Stack level 2
    I found this interesting in a story I read....

Talking about Android 3, I have one more remark. There will be cheap Android phones, there will be a lot of them, phones that will cost $200, EUR200
    Q. With Gingerbread?
    No. Not Gingerbread, not 3. But 2.1/2.2. For all practical purposes we will get the split – light/old hardware, cheap phones – but old Android. Want to get maximum multimedia experience: Divx playback out of the box, support for heavy formats, lossless mp3 codecs – you have to buy powerful hardware.
    Q. And the upgrades – will they be free, or paid?
    Upgrades will be free. The thing is, that not everyone will be upgraded. Droid X could be upgraded, Samsung Galaxy S… But not everyone

So it looks like the Galaxy S will get gingerbread for sure. I assume it will run well on it. They also mentioned in the article something very curious...that 3.0 will be the last update to Android for 6-8 months and from there they will look to slow down updates to once a year or so. This is great news so that when you get a phone it does not become obsolete in a matter of a couple of months. Also Sense and motoblur and any other UI will not be needed on 3.0. They said it will still be used on lower end phones running 2.1 and 2.2. So to me I am looking at hardware and what is the best available instead of what type of UI the phone has. Therefore if the galaxy s gets great reviews that will be my next purchase. I am sure we will have time to see how it does as Verizon, Sprint, and the other big boys will get it and we will have a chance to see the feedback from their users...

that's in the same links I pasted. bottomless is no one knows for sure who is gonna be able to receive gingerbread out of the ones that are getting the 2.2. nothing but rumors at this point with a google sp and two developers at odds about the minimum specs required. I see it as if u are able to get the 2.2 u should be able to get the 3.0 that's just my opinion from what I've read so far. whoever get the 2.2 separates themselves from being a low end android
    Last edited by garblicks; 07-08-2010 at 12:44 PM.

it comes down to the nexus one and the droid/milestone both run stock os with the nexus 1 having 512ram but the droid/milestone has around 256 of ram so what is google to do? bc the minimum specs required are those of the nexus 1. just went and saw the specs fort the droid/milestone. anyway with apps being able to be stored on the sd card I don't see how a limited amount of ram would even matter on getting the 3.0 or am I missing something?
    Last edited by garblicks; 07-08-2010 at 01:23 PM.

racerxe24 no está en línea Stack level 2
    While I think being about to put apps on the SD card will help tremendously, The OS's are probably growing too and need more room. Also some files that go with some apps might need to reside on the internal ram.

Also while the droid may be able to get to 3.0, it may not run like it would with a newer device. Kinda like putting Windows 7 on a pentium 4 computer. It may actually work, but will not be that usable. That is why I am not holding out any hope of going higher than 2.2 on my droid. If I go higher it will be on a phone like the Galaxy S at a minimum. And this is just all speculation by me!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by racerxe24 View Post
    While I think being about to put apps on the SD card will help tremendously, The OS's are probably growing too and need more room. Also some files that go with some apps might need to reside on the internal ram.

Also while the droid may be able to get to 3.0, it may not run like it would with a newer device. Kinda like putting Windows 7 on a pentium 4 computer. It may actually work, but will not be that usable. That is why I am not holding out any hope of going higher than 2.2 on my droid. If I go higher it will be on a phone like the Galaxy S at a minimum. And this is just all speculation by me!!!!
    your right thats why its best to get official word from google as to how its gonna shake out. like i said with files and apps being able to use the sd card i dont see how it would present a problem. it just seems like from whats been put out google only wants the nexus 1 as the only vanilla android capable of getting the 3.0 update. but make no mistake the customers who have the droid/milestone will have their voices heard bc they are by far the biggest consumer of android phones. with the hero being 2nd and stuck on 2.1 i dont think google is willing to go thru the same backlash with the droid/milestone. as to how it will operate i think it will do just fine maybe its not as faster as the other phones but it vanilla os gives it an advantage that only the nexus 1 share

from cnet.com the conclusion.heres the link http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/mobilep...229322p,00.htm
    Conclusion

The big question on everyone's mind is probably this: Should I buy this over the HTC Desire? One thing we can say for sure is that HTC's Sense UI is definitely more polished than Samsung's TouchWiz for Android. This extends to integration of social-networking services, text input and even the quality of custom widgets. The HTC also feels more solid physically and has an LED flash for lighting up dark subjects.

However, the Galaxy S has its own advantages, the most prominent of which is the large 4-inch Super AMOLED screen. The powerful processor is another big plus, which performs admirably whether it's during general use or for CPU-intensive tasks.

Weighing these factors based on their own merits, we would say the two are neck-and-neck. When we reviewed the HTC Desire, Froyo had not been announced yet. Now that we know it adds significant user features and greatly unlocks the potential of the smartphone's processor, whether or not an Android device gets this upgrade becomes an important factor. While both manufacturers have committed to such an update, there has been no estimated timeline given.

Though it's hard to make guesses for such matters, HTC does have more experience when it comes to pushing out updates for Android phones. It is after all the most experienced Android manufacturer around and one of Google's closest partners for the mobile OS. In the meantime, if Samsung will be taking a number of months to get Froyo ready, we hope it will at least resolve some of the niggling issues we had with the software in an intermediate update.

If you liken the two Android handsets to cars, the Samsung would win in a drag race, while the HTC would beat it in a track full of turns. Choose the Samsung Galaxy S for its raw power and potential for greatness given the right software tweaks. But if a polished UI and ease of use are what you looking for in an Android phone, the HTC Desire would fit the bill.

a galaxy s pro and con review its telling
    http://www.productwiki.com/samsung-galaxy-i7500/