Page 19 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Several people on another forum are quoting the Discover Center as telling them that 2.1 ... C Spire/Cellular South forum

0thundr0 no está en línea Stack level 3

Advertisement

Several people on another forum are quoting the Discover Center as telling them that 2.1 for the Hero will be released July 12th. I have been unable to get that same timeframe from anyone at CSouth myself though. They must have had quite a few bugs to have pushed it that far.
    Last edited by 0thundr0; 06-30-2010 at 02:26 PM.

garblicks no está en línea Stack level 4
    I'd be shocked if google didn't allow for the droud/milestone to receive further updates past the 2.2 one. That phone is seller worldwide plus it's unclocked in a major way. I just don't see it happening. If it had motobur id say it wouldn't but for it to be a vanilla os I believe they will continue to receive them bc in my opinion all future updates aren't gonna be a major sense the 2.2 will allow for full flash what's left besides minor details?

jbreakfield no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by msmith198025 View Post
    http://www.androidcentral.com/rumor-...equired-new-ux

Might want to give this a look guys. Rumor is the next OS upgrade will require a 1ghz processor. Take it with a grain of salt.
    Yeah, that's Android 3.0... I wouldn't be inclined to get a new phone with less than a 1Ghz processor anyway... even that will be slow in 6mo to a year I'm sure.

The Gingerbread release is supposed to be the one that has a lot slicker UI built into it, so that the manufacturers don't need/want to make as much modification (such as Sense)

to a degree jb. All manufactures and cell companys want their own exclucive brand as u will that's the beuty of a open platform

mclovin07 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Its nice that they are getting new and newer technology but what good is it to have a phone that is new now but then will be be outdated and no longer to upgrade within a years time.

Exactly mclovin. Google hasca responsibility to all these customers they have sold phones thats set below 1ghz. I don't think it's intirely true bc the new droids that are coming out r unclocked they r not gonna run at 1gz either so what happens to all these customers?

0thundr0 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I agree. The industry is eating themselves alive. People are getting burnt out having to pay large carrier fees to upgrade early, to keep up with the steep technology curve lately. To me, the PC industry went through this about 10 years ago. Now though, I can by a good laptop, and 2 years later, still feel like it is useable. I say the cell companies should go back to one year contracts. Offer great phones, and you will keep your subscriber base.

Quote Originally Posted by garblicks View Post
    to a degree jb. All manufactures and cell companys want their own exclucive brand as u will that's the beuty of a open platform
    Right, but the point being that Google is trying to make it easier for the cell companies to do their add-ons, and shorten the time it takes them to do modifications, with Gingerbread

I'd bet that the requirement for 1ghz processor is exaggerated, at this point... it may be a case of "runs better with", but it's probably not required

Something is gonna happen. Google realizes that they are really just recycling the same core customers. What good is buying a phone and in 3 months it's outdated the sd processor is a good get but all phones with it except the n1 runs a ui. 3.0 is suppose to streamline the process so I'd say even the droid/milestone should be able to run it for bc it can be overclocked and has no ui that's just my take

Jbreak you could be right but also they could do like apple and there iphones. They just came out with the iphone 4 but the apple 4 os software is the first update that the apple 3g and lower could not take after them bein out for 3 or 4 years. That would bee nice for android phone to at least be able to upgrade at least 2 or 3 years after they been out. That way people can have their phones and upgrade all throughout their contract time and then buy a new phone after or stay and stil be able to update software for at least another few months to a year.

Quote Originally Posted by mclovin07 View Post
    Jbreak you could be right but also they could do like apple and there iphones. They just came out with the iphone 4 but the apple 4 os software is the first update that the apple 3g and lower could not take after them bein out for 3 or 4 years. That would bee nice for android phone to at least be able to upgrade at least 2 or 3 years after they been out. That way people can have their phones and upgrade all throughout their contract time and then buy a new phone after or stay and stil be able to update software for at least another few months to a year.
    There will definitely be phones left behind, I'm sure, but Google is trying their best NOT to be like Apple and the iPhone; they're also still in the early stages of things, relatively speaking, and as the core OS matures, they should be able to keep it streamlined enough that processors will keep up longer. The Hero and a few are getting left behind now, but like thundr said, there will be a point where the processors and OS come together more or less, the same as has happened with PC's.

jbreak thanks that does make sense and i do understand that they are new compared to everyone else

Some phones will get left behind I just don't see the droid as one of them it's a higher end phone even being clocked at 550ghz it performs very well.