Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Is anyone able to tether from a CS iphone or will it have to be ... C Spire/Cellular South forum

mrholder no está en línea Stack level 3

Is anyone able to tether from a CS iphone or will it have to be jailbroken? I going to be switching to the iphone in the fall and that's the only thing that I will really miss from my rooted Android.

cyberwaste no está en línea Stack level 3
    mine has the wifi hotspot function built in I know some folks that got there Iphone after i did didn't have it but you can jailbreak it easy and get it if your is disabled.

rod1906 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Since we are getting 4G LTE, I wonder if we'll be getting the Iphone 5 which is supposed to be an LTE phone? It would be interesting. I could've got the Iphone 4s, but i'm holding out.

mrholder no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by rod1906 View Post
    Since we are getting 4G LTE, I wonder if we'll be getting the Iphone 5 which is supposed to be an LTE phone? It would be interesting. I could've got the Iphone 4s, but i'm holding out.
    I'm also holding out for the 5. I can upgrade with no cost in late September, but I'll even wait until early next year to upgrade to it, if it's not out until then.

frenchfry no está en línea Stack level 2

Partner w/ Sprint

With this article there is a good chance that C Spire will partner with Sprint on hosting towers together. This maybe how they plan to cover the rest of Alabama and Tennessee.

Sprint Mulls LTE Tie-Ups with Regional Carriers
    http://www.wirelessweek.com/News/201...onal-Carriers/

C Spire coverage map update

It was brought to my attention on another forum that the C Spire coverage map have been updated. From the looks of it they have made a in Market deal once again with Verizon. There in market coverage has changed alot. The panhandle of Florida has a lot more coverage.

mclovin07 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Thats awesome. Can't wait for 4g

niceguy no está en línea Stack level 2
    Hey guys, do you know if CSpire blocks tethering in their phones before you buy? I just had to replace my faulty HTC Hero with a Samsung Galaxy S (2.3.5 firmware) and there is no Tethering option under Wireless Networks on the phone. It seems most other owners of this phone regardless of carrier, has the Tethering sub menu and Mobile AP app installed and functional out of the box. I have the unlimited data plan and was able to USB tether with my HTC Hero no problem with the data charge cable and EasyTether.

And just to clarify, I've been with CellSouth/Cspire for nearly 2 years and was with them while tethering with the HTC Hero.

Thanks

getsugatensho no está en línea Stack Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by niceguy View Post
    Hey guys, do you know if CSpire blocks tethering in their phones before you buy? I just had to replace my faulty HTC Hero with a Samsung Galaxy S (2.3.5 firmware) and there is no Tethering option under Wireless Networks on the phone. It seems most other owners of this phone regardless of carrier, has the Tethering sub menu and Mobile AP app installed and functional out of the box. I have the unlimited data plan and was able to USB tether with my HTC Hero no problem with the data charge cable and EasyTether.

And just to clarify, I've been with CellSouth/Cspire for nearly 2 years and was with them while tethering with the HTC Hero.

Thanks

Cspire does allow tethering if you have unlimited data. As far as the menu option for tethering, my wife has the galaxy and I've never seen that option, not even on other peoples phones. I have the x2 and have the mobile hotspot and tethering menu, I haven't had any problems with it. I've used it to get on the internet with my Xoom a few times and its a little slow but does the trick.

If you don't have he option you can just do like you did on your Hero, I had one up until about a month ago and I used it to tether my laptop of all things.
    because we are amorphous, we hold that in reverence~ Tite Kubo

Hey thanks for the feedback! Do you recall which tethering app you used on the Galaxy? And it was USB/wired?

I'm going to try using EasyTether but I'd be interested to try whatever app worked for you as well...
    EDIT: Here's an example since you never had the option either but every site/thread I searched, everyone seemed familiar with or seemed to have it on their particular Galaxy S, crazy!!

Thanks again

Jeremy

That's crazy, I just looked at my wifes phone and didn't see that. What model galaxy is that and on what carrier? Also, do you think its got the latest upgrade? I still haven't done that for her, lol I should probably do that.

On a side note, are you new to the stacks? If so, who recommended this wonderful place.

yes this is my 2nd or now 3rd post and vigorous digging and searching on all things Galaxy, tethering and Cspire found this hidden jewel lol....and re my earlier question, I just realized you meant you also had a Hero (I assume) so I'm going to try to USB tether the Galaxy before rooting the phone as I've only had it 2 days.

I'm telling you, at the Android forums and nearly every site I googled as well as youtube, nearly everyone seems to have this feature and they can't understand how I don't. I'm not sure but the only thing I can think of is that I have the latest firmware update (already in place when I bought the phone) 2.3.5. FWIW, as far back as Froyo 2.2, the built in tethering option was on this phone from what I found out. That's why I'm so bummed and confused about this, especially since CSpire is about the only carrier that will allow tethering without charging you or forcing you into a tether plan!!

It's funny, a friend of mine was just complaining yesterday that he got a text from ATT&T saying he was over his data plan and he has an unlimited data plan but he's tethering with his phone. And BTW, he's an ATT&T employee lol!!!!

The Galaxy S was supposed to be my answer to wireless tethering for my laptop so I'm going to keep working at figuring out a solution. But keep me posted if you get there first...

Jeremy

You still have time to switch phones huh? Cuz I know for a fact that the X2 tethering and a mobile hotspot function. It'll be a little more expensive.

As far as the functions like you see the other sites, there's not much more I can tell you about it. I havent been keeping up with the smartphone times lately. You should be able to use easy tether or pdanet or any of the other tethering apps from the market. There designed to work without permission from the carrier. They'll warn you about the potential amount of massive data use but if you're careful you wont exceed your "limit". Ive never hit my limit when I did it. And like I said I was tethering my laptop to stream vidoes and stuff.

Yeah my younger brother has the CSpire verion of the Droid X2 (MilestoneX2 IIRC) but honestly the 4.0" Galaxy is almost too long for me to easily hold in one hand while being able to pull down the notification bar, make calls,etc. Any more length, and it'll be almost useless to me but I'm going to play with his to get a feel for it before my 2 week grace period is up....

I tried ET and Pdanet without success for some reason already but will try again as I did it in a hurry and may have simply overlooked something....

Like I told the Cspire rep, I don't need the phone for movies, surround sound or anything like that, just to handle calls, text and if possible to tether my laptop so I'll see if I can resolve the tethering before I decide to kick it to the curb...

EDIT: Ok, I'm using EasyTether as we speak to type this along with about 14 other tabs loaded lol. I simply wasn't waiting long enough for the PC to search for drivers,etc. I still would like to find a wireless option if possible (without rooting) using an app but I still have to keep searching for that.

I can see how these phones with the larger (almost too large ie 4.3"-5" screens) displays, dual and gasp! quad core processors could be the poor man's tablet or perhaps even a netbook replacement but I simply don't need anything like that so I may just hold on to the Galaxy, root it eventually if I feel the need to tinker. I don't want to go any larger than the Galaxy's 4" screen plus I tend to hold onto things as long as they'll last. In case I didn't already mention it, this is my 4th phone in 12 years. The Hero lasted 1.5yrs, disappointing, before that I had an LG CU400 flip phone for a few years and before that, the mighty Nokia 6100 complete w/stubby antenna! I might even pick up a cheap extra Galaxy down the road in case my current one dies lol....
    Last edited by niceguy; 04-01-2012 at 06:55 PM.

Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast