Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Originally Posted by macon Hi everyone. My contract with cspire runs out in mid-december, so ... C Spire/Cellular South forum

mrholder no está en línea Stack level 3

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by macon View Post
    Hi everyone. My contract with cspire runs out in mid-december, so i'm trying to figure out if i should stay or go. I'm sure that i'm in the same boat as a lot of people... We've been on the smartphone unlimited plan, but now that we'll have to change, my options are $120 for the Family Choice Data (plus extra for video streaming) or going with the new Shared Data+ that is exactly the same price as Verizon or AT&T for 4G limited to Cspire's network. We would probably be fine on the Family Choice Data plan since we don't really stream a lot of video, but all of the changes with cellular south (none for the better in my opinion) have left a bad taste in my mouth. If I'm going to be locked into a 2-year contract I'd at least like to be able to have the latest and greatest device when i sign the dotted line. I'd like the Note 2, but i haven't heard anything from Cspire on upcoming 4g devices... does anyone have any inside info on this?

So, in your opinion, should i stick it out with Cspire and wait to see if they get the Note 2, then sign up for the $120 Family Choice Data plan? Or should i go ahead and jump ship to Verizon, get the phone i want, and pay a $30/month premium for nationwide 4g? Or go to a month-to-month plan with Straight Talk? There are so many options these days, and it's hard to weigh all of the pros and cons by myself. Thanks for your help.
    I would say go with Verizon if you want the newest phones in a timely manner. The shared data plans cost the same as C Spire, although, their smartphone insurance is about $3 more than c spire. Plus they give about 17-18% off a plan for some companies, so check with them to see if your workplace has a discount with them. C Spire is trying to act like a big dog, instead of being the less expensive alternative like Cellular South was.

macon no está en línea Stack level 1
    I checked on the employee discount through Verizon, and it would knock about 10 dollars off of my monthly bill. How does Cspire's LTE compare to Verizon's in terms of speed?

jbreakfield no está en línea Stack level 4
    I checked on the employee discount through Verizon, and it would knock about 10 dollars off of my monthly bill. How does Cspire's LTE compare to Verizon's in terms of speed?
    Should be similar, although I would try to find someone with Verizon in your area to confirm that you actually have Verizon LTE. Verizon has LTE on a much broader scale than CSpire, though.

frenchfry no está en línea Stack level 2
    hendrix2 in CSpire circle fourm found this article on Apple.

Apple has the keys to LTE on the IPhone 5 not CSpire
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...-not-carriers/

From what I see in the Sprirt forums they are still fired up about LTE not working right on IPhone 5 and that there is no ETA on when 6.1 will be out to maybr fix the LTE issue.

fd59 no está en línea Stack level 3
    If good 4G service it a requirement, then Verizon is your choice. C Spire still does not have a clear strategy for its future 4G deployment and support.

macon no está en línea Stack level 1
    I just went to the C Spire store in Ridgeland, and played around with the S3 running on LTE. The phone seemed great. The service is another story. Here's my post from the C Spire Circle forum detailing the experience:

My contract runs out tomorrow, so i'm trying to do some last minute shopping. Just a few hours ago my wife and i headed to the Renaissance C Spire store to check out the top two contenders... the iphone 5 and the Galaxy S3. I immediately headed for the S3 to test out the LTE, expecting to be blown away. I navigated to several websites that i visit frequently, and was a little disappointed with the speed of the phone. I then went over to the iphone, turned off the wifi so that i could see how fast the 3G worked. It seemed just as fast as the S3... "That can't be possible" i thought. So i got my wife to google gizmodo.com on the S3 (i did the same on the iphone 5) . On the count of three we clicked the link, and the iphone 5 (running on 3G) opened the webpage faster than the S3 (running on LTE)! At this point, I wasn't sure if i should be in awe of the iphone 5 or severely disappointed with C Spire's LTE speeds. I walked back over to the S3, and pulled out my sluggish S1. I repeated the same test with a different website, and my S1 loaded the page almost 5 seconds faster. I just stood there shaking my head. I couldn't believe what i was seeing.

Was this just a fluke? I've played around with several friends' iphone 5s running on AT&T's LTE and it was amazing. As fast if not faster than my home wifi. If I'm about to be locked into a phone and service provider for 2 years I want to make sure that i make the right choice.

I just went to the C Spire store in Ridgeland, and played around with the S3 running on LTE. The phone seemed great. The service is another story. Here's my post from the C Spire Circle forum detailing the experience:

My contract runs out tomorrow, so i'm trying to do some last minute shopping. Just a few hours ago my wife and i headed to the Renaissance C Spire store to check out the top two contenders... the iphone 5 and the Galaxy S3. I immediately headed for the S3 to test out the LTE, expecting to be blown away. I navigated to several websites that i visit frequently, and was a little disappointed with the speed of the phone. I then went over to the iphone, turned off the wifi so that i could see how fast the 3G worked. It seemed just as fast as the S3... "That can't be possible" i thought. So i got my wife to google gizmodo.com on the S3 (i did the same on the iphone 5) . On the count of three we clicked the link, and the iphone 5 (running on 3G) opened the webpage faster than the S3 (running on LTE)! At this point, I wasn't sure if i should be in awe of the iphone 5 or severely disappointed with C Spire's LTE speeds. I walked back over to the S3, and pulled out my sluggish S1. I repeated the same test with a different website, and my S1 loaded the page almost 5 seconds faster. I just stood there shaking my head. I couldn't believe what i was seeing.

Was this just a fluke? I've played around with several friends' iphone 5s running on AT&T's LTE and it was amazing. As fast if not faster than my home wifi. If I'm about to be locked into a phone and service provider for 2 years I want to make sure that i make the right choice.
    This is the reason I say, If good, dependable 4G is a requirement, then C Spire is NOT the solution you want. You need to go with someone else. That being said, as far as C Spire's 3G network, I have been satisfied with it on the iPhone 4S. Which is another reason I won't be getting the iPhone 5 until C Spire has a FINAL PLAN for 4G LTE that is written in stone, deployed, and stable for at least a year. So I figure I am a good 2 to 3 years out before I upgrade to 4G with C Spire.

clmartin22 no está en línea Stack level 2
    anyone know why my text messages don't come in from ATT customers when I am on wifi? I have to turn my wifi off before the text message will download

Update: after talking with CSpire this is a known issue on the network. This is something that has to do with MMS messages only. You have to be on the CSpire network only for them to download on some devices. Has been issue for me on my G3 and on my original galaxy at times.
    Last edited by clmartin22; 12-26-2012 at 03:11 PM.

WAMAM no está en línea Stack level 2
    just installed the Helly Bean 4.21 on my showcase
    working great so for
    was able to change the carrier name to CSpire
    JUST SOUTH OF THE BIG CITY OF ELLISVILLE

Just noticed that CS just disabled my personal hotspot on my iPhone. Tells me I need to contact cSpire to activate the personal hotspot. Now I can no longer tether my iPad or my Kid's ipod's. This is pretty much going to be the last straw. Looks like I am going to have to do some research to see if I can get past this limitation by jail breaking, or either pay (stomach stop feeling sick) an additional fee to access data I have already paid for . Sorry SOB's. I can no longer recommend cSh*t as a cellular provider. Which sucks because I was an avid supporter of Cellular South, but the company that was Cellular South no longer exists.

This is pretty much the nail in the coffin for me and cSpire. As soon as my contract is out I am going to Verizon. Will definitely be cheaper overall for me and my family then CS.
    Last edited by fd59; 01-09-2013 at 10:37 AM.

Update.... The personal hot is working again. CS must be testing to see if they can block this "Feature", so they can charge more for less service and call the absolutely crappy service "Personalized Wireless".

I find it funny that this "Personalized Wireless" is just a copy of the big boy's offerings.

jbreakfield no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by fd59 View Post
    Just noticed that CS just disabled my personal hotspot on my iPhone. Tells me I need to contact cSpire to activate the personal hotspot. Now I can no longer tether my iPad or my Kid's ipod's. This is pretty much going to be the last straw. Looks like I am going to have to do some research to see if I can get past this limitation by jail breaking, or either pay (stomach stop feeling sick) an additional fee to access data I have already paid for . Sorry SOB's. I can no longer recommend cSh*t as a cellular provider. Which sucks because I was an avid supporter of Cellular South, but the company that was Cellular South no longer exists.

This is pretty much the nail in the coffin for me and cSpire. As soon as my contract is out I am going to Verizon. Will definitely be cheaper overall for me and my family then CS.
    I pulled the plug on one of my CS lines last month, and have switched to a Nexus 4 with AT&T StraightTalk SIM; so far it's working out well, although I have no signal to speak of when I'm at work (never had much CS signal, either, though).
    I'm keeping one line with CS for now since it's under contract, but it's becoming very tempting for me to just pay the ETF and get rid of that one, too.

I feel for those who are more rural than me, since CS is about the only choice in a lot of the more rural areas.

msmith198025 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Just paid the ETF fee on 6 business lines, and moved them and the 3 out of contract to Verizon. I am saving around $100 a month with the switch, so the ETF will be worth it in the near term.

I simply could no longer pay the higher price versus the share plans with Verizon (business account with discounts that extend even to my personal accounts) and we will get better coverage to boot.

Shame really, a few years ago, I am the one that got us signed up with Cell South. The Cspire of today simply is no longer the company that I remember.
    www.sonicbabble.com
    The best debate forum around. Present your point and back it up. Facts are welcome

deltascrew no está en línea Stack level 3
    Anybody have any details on the OTA update for the S3? Updated both of my s3's but haven't noticed any changes. Still on 4.0.4

steve71 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by deltascrew View Post
    Anybody have any details on the OTA update for the S3? Updated both of my s3's but haven't noticed any changes. Still on 4.0.4
    "This update will correct the issue of being able to send picture messages while connected to a Wi-Fi network."

https://www.facebook.com/cspire/posts/540980202587297