Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 530
Like Tree20Likes

The thing that concerns me about CSpire and LTE, and one reason that I swapped ... C Spire/Cellular South forum

  1. #181
    msmith198025's Avatar
    msmith198025 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Posts
    755

    Advertisement



    The thing that concerns me about CSpire and LTE, and one reason that I swapped to Verizon, is their band is not compatible with the major carriers (which are also incompatible with each other). So, outside of their own area, which granted most of us probably stay in, LTE will be unusable by their LTE phones. At least until, or if, we get phones that will cover all LTE bands, which may or may not happen.

    I see this as a significant hindrance for them in the future.
    www.sonicbabble.com
    The best debate forum around. Present your point and back it up. Facts are welcome

  2. #182
    frenchfry's Avatar
    frenchfry no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by msmith198025 View Post
    The thing that concerns me about CSpire and LTE, and one reason that I swapped to Verizon, is their band is not compatible with the major carriers (which are also incompatible with each other). So, outside of their own area, which granted most of us probably stay in, LTE will be unusable by their LTE phones. At least until, or if, we get phones that will cover all LTE bands, which may or may not happen.

    I see this as a significant hindrance for them in the future.
    You are right that C Spire will hurt for a year or two on roaming. Especially off the beaten path. In the top 100 or so markets they will be fine within about a year or so. I think that T-Mobile, Sprint, Clearwire, Metro PCS, Cricket and US Cellular will cut a deal and have there LTE networks covering a lot of ground as a whole by the end of next year.

    It is a shame that AT&T and Verizon have used there power to mess up the lower 700mhz band.

    I do wonder how the FCC is going to handle Rural Cellular Association(which C Spire is a member of) asking for a two extension on the 700 mhz band is going to be handled. I think they should be given an extension as requested. Mainly for their new territory to cover the remaining area of Alabama and Tennessee.
    http://www.telecompetitor.com/wirele...-out-deadline/

  3. #183
    getsugatensho's Avatar
    getsugatensho no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,194
    Quote Originally Posted by jbreakfield View Post
    Oh yeah, Dual core 1.5GHz CPU, 2 GB RAM... Our showcase is single core 1GHz CPU, 512MB of RAM

    Really? The X2 has the same stuff. What would make me want to change phones?
    because we are amorphous, we hold that in reverence~ Tite Kubo

  4. #184
    jbreakfield's Avatar
    jbreakfield no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by getsugatensho View Post
    Really? The X2 has the same stuff. What would make me want to change phones?
    Well, technically the X2 has a slower processor (1GHz vs 1.5GHz) and 1/4 the RAM (512MB vs 2GB), so not quite the same stuff. But if you're happy with the X2, no reason to change. Something better will be coming later, I'm sure.

    One reason that Samsung opted for the 2GB of RAM is so it can get updates longer, at least that's what I've read. RAM seems to be a limiting factor for some of the updates, although we really get snowed by the manufacturers on this... they want you to buy a new phone, not just update your software. I've been testing JellyBean builds on my Showcase, and they run perfectly fine on that old hardware. There should be a build good enough for daily use soon, and I'm guessing it will run as well or better than ICS has been.

  5. #185
    msmith198025's Avatar
    msmith198025 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Posts
    755
    Well, just picked up the GS3 from verizon, and it is a fantastic set. Hopefully Cspire wont wait to long in getting it.
    jbreakfield likes this.
    www.sonicbabble.com
    The best debate forum around. Present your point and back it up. Facts are welcome

  6. #186
    mrholder's Avatar
    mrholder no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    433
    I know not everyone here is an Apple fan, but just wondering if C Spire will launch the new iphone when it's available. I believe it will be 4G, but not sure if the hardware will work with the 4G that C Spire is launching in September. Does anyone know or have you heard any rumors about the compatibility of the new iphone with C Spires proposed LTE launch? The new design of the phone is not stacking up to what most fanboys had hoped for, is what I'm reading. I tried my brother's Droid Razr and loved the big screen and
    thin/light weight design, but sturdy feel. I've not held a GS3 or even an S2 to compare to the iphone, but I enjoy the large screens of Android handsets. I'm about ready to chunk the Motorola Milestone, though. Keeps freezing up on me.

  7. #187
    msmith198025's Avatar
    msmith198025 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Posts
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by mrholder View Post
    I know not everyone here is an Apple fan, but just wondering if C Spire will launch the new iphone when it's available. I believe it will be 4G, but not sure if the hardware will work with the 4G that C Spire is launching in September. Does anyone know or have you heard any rumors about the compatibility of the new iphone with C Spires proposed LTE launch? The new design of the phone is not stacking up to what most fanboys had hoped for, is what I'm reading.
    I am afraid that the LTE band differences will make this launch different in the past for carriers like C-spire, and maybe even sprint. Unless they can get some compatibility somehow, I just do not see the upside from apples standpoint to put a whole new radio in a phone for a company with around 900,000 subs. I may be, and hope I am, wrong.



    I tried my brother's Droid Razr and loved the big screen and
    thin/light weight design, but sturdy feel. I've not held a GS3 or even an S2 to compare to the iphone, but I enjoy the large screens of Android handsets. I'm about ready to chunk the Motorola Milestone, though. Keeps freezing up on me.
    If you have held the Galaxy s (original one) then you can have an idea of the build quality of the S3. It is certainly thin and light, and quite gorgeous to look at, but IMO only, the materials used in building phones by samsung across the line, are a few steps back from many other phone makers. Perhaps that is on purpose, and with a case it does not really matter.
    There are many pros that outweigh that con IMO.
    www.sonicbabble.com
    The best debate forum around. Present your point and back it up. Facts are welcome

  8. #188
    jbreakfield's Avatar
    jbreakfield no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by msmith198025 View Post
    I am afraid that the LTE band differences will make this launch different in the past for carriers like C-spire, and maybe even sprint. Unless they can get some compatibility somehow, I just do not see the upside from apples standpoint to put a whole new radio in a phone for a company with around 900,000 subs. I may be, and hope I am, wrong.
    CSpire said they will launch their LTE not on their 700Mhz spectrum, but on their AWS and PCS spectrum; this is the same spectrum that several of the big carriers use for 4G LTE, but I don't know enough about it to discern whether that means that we could share devices with the same LTE radio.



    If you have held the Galaxy s (original one) then you can have an idea of the build quality of the S3. It is certainly thin and light, and quite gorgeous to look at, but IMO only, the materials used in building phones by samsung across the line, are a few steps back from many other phone makers. Perhaps that is on purpose, and with a case it does not really matter.
    There are many pros that outweigh that con IMO.
    I haven't seen an actual working version of the SIII... Walmart & Sam's Club have "dummy" versions at their phone centers, but it's not the same... I guess I need to go in somewhere and check them out, though.

  9. #189
    clmartin22's Avatar
    clmartin22 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    75
    which Jelly Bean builds you been trying? I am still running milestone 6 only problems is the phone lags sometimes after a call going back to the contacts screen

  10. #190
    jbreakfield's Avatar
    jbreakfield no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by clmartin22 View Post
    which Jelly Bean builds you been trying? I am still running milestone 6 only problems is the phone lags sometimes after a call going back to the contacts screen
    I tested a couple of AOKP builds for Steve Spear, but they weren't ready for prime time just yet. I've got a CM10 port that I was going to try, but I haven't tried it out yet. I'm still running Milestone 6 for Showcase as my daily... have you tried the one with the Devil kernel? I run overclocked, and don't have much lag at all.

  11. #191
    clmartin22's Avatar
    clmartin22 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    75
    I am running the one with the devil kernel, what are you settings?

  12. #192
    jbreakfield's Avatar
    jbreakfield no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by clmartin22 View Post
    I am running the one with the devil kernel, what are you settings?
    I use the NSTools app to set live overclock to 110%, Min CPU freq 200MHz, Max CPU freq 1320 MHz, Live OC Target Low 800MHz, Live OC Target High 1300MHz

    These settings are working well for me, not too much lag. I would play with the settings some and see what works for you, but it's a starting point.

  13. #193
    mrholder's Avatar
    mrholder no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    433
    For anyone who purchased an iphone 4s from C Spire, did you have to get Apple Care+ from them on the spot, or did you have an option to wait a few days to get it from Apple if you wanted it?

  14. #194
    msmith198025's Avatar
    msmith198025 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Posts
    755
    For those perhaps interested, and assuming C Spire gets the new iphone, the link below MAY be of interest. Of course you can probably get more selling on ebay, but this would be guaranteed.

    Just passing it along.

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...-deal-for-you/
    www.sonicbabble.com
    The best debate forum around. Present your point and back it up. Facts are welcome

  15. #195
    cyberwaste's Avatar
    cyberwaste no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    283
    Quote Originally Posted by mrholder View Post
    For anyone who purchased an iphone 4s from C Spire, did you have to get Apple Care+ from them on the spot, or did you have an option to wait a few days to get it from Apple if you wanted it?

    You don't have to by it on the spot I believe you have 90 days by apple you dont have to buy it from cspire you can buy it from Walmart, best buy, or apple them self so you are flexible on where and when you get it it's not a onetime offer.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •