i found this article and thought i should share WASHINGTON — The government is quietly ... C Spire/Cellular South forum

ebanga no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24352F80

Cell Phone Users May Get Break On Early Contract End Fees

Advertisement

i found this article and thought i should share
    WASHINGTON — The government is quietly negotiating to help cell phone customers avoid expensive fees when they cancel contracts with wireless companies, The Associated Press has learned.

Cell phone companies routinely charge customers $175 or more for quitting their service early. Under a proposal to the Federal Communications Commission, the wireless industry would give consumers the opportunity to cancel service without any penalty for up to 30 days after they sign a cell phone contract or until 10 days after they receive their first bill.

The proposal also would cap such fees and reduce them month by month over the course of a contract based on how long customers have left, according to people familiar with the offer speaking on condition of anonymity because the FCC has not accepted it. The plan would not abolish cancellation fees entirely.

In exchange for the government's approval, the agreement would let cell phone companies off the hook in state courts where they are being sued for billions of dollars by angry customers. If approved by the FCC, the proposal also would take away the authority of states to regulate the charges, known as early termination fees.
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,356848,00.html
    "Make It Count" R.I.P. Jay D ~ 6-25-05

alwaysbelieve1 no está en línea Stack level 5
    So when someone upgrades their rate plan and are required to extend their term for another 2 year contract does that count as "a new contract"? Thus meaning they have 30 days to cancel service without penalty?
    Bob Garon II, Kettlebell Coach

Fitness Has Nothing To Do With Looking Good.
    BobGaronTraining.com

Follow Me At:
    Twitter
    Facebook

PIN/ID
    24352F80
    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysbelieve1 View Post
    So when someone upgrades their rate plan and are required to extend their term for another 2 year contract does that count as "a new contract"? Thus meaning they have 30 days to cancel service without penalty?
    exactly, you know there will always be a catch
    "Make It Count" R.I.P. Jay D ~ 6-25-05

beamolite no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23F73F86
    How about a break on the taxes we have to pay on our cell phone bills as well?

cjcarbone no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    not anym
    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysbelieve1 View Post
    Do carriers do this? Pretty sure at&t, TMo lets you change it without a new contract.

PIN/ID
    24352F80
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i know with Tmo if you upgrade devices or make plan changes it starts a new or extended contract

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28
    well to make it clear i don't think they will change the taxes because that mainly goes to the government and you know they have got to get theirs....

if you change your rate plan to something different it won't extend your contract unless its a special promotional plan like the unlimited plan. or it'll extend yor contract one year if yo have 11months or less on your contract if that makes any sense....

the way they will have everything regulated makes sense, but i think it'll be worth to prorate the etf to get out of the class action law suits some of those suits makes no sense whatsoever....

rate plan changes isn't changing much you are still a t-mobile subscriber or a subscriber with whatever carrier you have so i don't think if you make a rate plan change it will constitute getting out of your contract.
    The BlackBerry Guru

[x] My Minds Eye - Life Behind The Lens Of A BlackBerry
    [x] Pinstack Blog
    [x] Twitter

xxchixorxx no está en línea Stack level 3
    When I went to put the rest of the family on my plan at T-mobile, he actually told me that after the first year, the disconnect fee drops from $200 to $100 per line. Even though it's still a fee, it is kinda cool that they pro-rate it after that first year. Always thought the fee should drop according to how long you've had the plan anyways. I mean, with 2 months or so left to a 2 year plan, what's the sense in charging the full fee after that long?

*~Sheila~*
    243A0D29

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by ebanga View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i know with Tmo if you upgrade devices or make plan changes it starts a new or extended contract
    On the website, certain plans can be changed without any extension. But some are marked as "special" and require an extension. And of course, if you get a new phone at a special price too. But if you buy a new phone outright, they can't make you extend your contract.

cowgirldude no está en línea Stack level 1

Cell Phone Early Disconnect Fees

I have a dilemma that needs attention now. I canceled our cell phone service with Qwest for an array of reasons. Now I was sent to a pre-collection agency without even being given time to pay it by the due date. I just read the article in the paper regarding Washington considering forcing these cell phone company's to prorate the disconnect fees.

My question is this: Should I call the collection company and tell them I don't want to pay it now due to this impending bill, since you don't receive a credit if and when it passes. I need to know what to do by the 27th of this month. I'm tempted to call the BBB to ask what they know of this Bill, and to complain about Qwest.

Thanks

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    The bill may not be retroactive. And may take a while to pass and/or become active. Usually with these things they give the companies some time to comply.

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirldude View Post
    I have a dilemma that needs attention now. I canceled our cell phone service with Qwest for an array of reasons. Now I was sent to a pre-collection agency without even being given time to pay it by the due date. I just read the article in the paper regarding Washington considering forcing these cell phone company's to prorate the disconnect fees.

My question is this: Should I call the collection company and tell them I don't want to pay it now due to this impending bill, since you don't receive a credit if and when it passes. I need to know what to do by the 27th of this month. I'm tempted to call the BBB to ask what they know of this Bill, and to complain about Qwest.

Thanks