Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am very often in the People's Republic of China. Because the roaming opportunities are ... C Spire/Cellular South forum

funkym no está en línea Stack level 3

Question BlackBerry in China - Help

Advertisement

I am very often in the People's Republic of China. Because the roaming opportunities are some kind of expensive I bought a Sim-Card from China Mobile (the world's biggest network carrier) for my 7290.

Phone calls and messages work fine but I cannot get any internet/gprs connection work. The gprs indicator of my BB stays in small letters which tells me that there is a gprs network but the BlackBerry cannot use it to get internet access. I have searched many forums and newsgroups but didn't find an answer.

May be someone knows how to handle this?

r3nb72 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    202a1a6f

Re: BlackBerry in China - Help

Hi funkym, as far as i know the BB data services can not work on a PrePaid simcard, even if the data on the sim is active. A friend of mine tried it. Maybe you should drop China Mobile a line. They might be able to give you more info.

wibbly no está en línea Stack level 3

Unless China Mobile offer a BB service (and it's switched on for your SIM), the only option you have is to use your other SIM (which has a BB service on your home network), and roam in China.

Fortunatley RIM last month announced China Mobile will be offering a BB service, so it's a case of how soon you can have this switched on on your China Mobile SIM, and if the BB option is available on the price plan you have with them... Also depends if you use a BES or BIS service. If only a BIS, I think the China Mobile BB service will only let your BB talk to the China Mobile BIS - and you PIN's already on your home network's BIS. Maybe best to get an extra BB!

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

It would make sense that once China has BB service, anyone could roam there, or buy a local SIM for service.

It would be interesting to know if BIS on carrier X would work with carrier Y. As BIS is somewhat dependent on PIN and carrier.

But isn't data roaming cheap? With my carrier, it's a flat rate worldwide, 5 cents / kb.

Voice calls are the killer.

wibbly no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

But isn't data roaming cheap? With my carrier, it's a flat rate worldwide, 5 cents / kb.

Voice calls are the killer.
    Yup, if you avoid browsing on the BB, the background keep-alives are only a few 10's KB a day. And mails come through rendered and compressed. BB's are really quite efficient in trying not to pull much data. Consider using your Chinese SIM for voice in a cheap handset whilst your there, and keep roaming with the BB...

funkym no está en línea Stack level 3

The problem is, the gprs connection doesn't work at all. I have a german vodafone sim card and tried several China Mobile sim card. Not even the internet browser appears on the desktop because it seems that the China Mobile network does not support it. I have read in some other forums that Rim not just uses common GPRS. The network provider must add some proprietary stuff from Rim to offer data connections for their customers.

The german vodafone card roams into China Unicom and shows up the same effect

netron no está en línea Stack level 1

I'm in China, and just switched from HongKong's CSLBB service to China Mobile, PM me if you still have any issues there...

luisbernal no está en línea Stack level 1

I am in Shanghai, and I haven't been able to get a good service, I will have to bring one from Mexico and use the service here, let's see how the roaming comes...

luisbernal no está en línea Stack level 1

If anyone in Shanghai has solved this problem please contact me,

bluecraze no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by luisbernal
    If anyone in Shanghai has solved this problem please contact me,
    Please contact me as well..im also having the same issue.

I see the GPRS symbol on my pearl, but data connectivity is refused.

I dont even see the browser application anymore. it just disappeared after i switched sim cards.

jinnes no está en línea Stack level 1

Can anyone here verify that BES connectivity works in Shanghai on a locally bought SIM card? I'm fine if I can't browse the web, but I need BES connection for email and calendar synch. I'm hoping a China Mobile card will work and the data won't eat up my time too fast.

Thanks!

MAXSquared no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ if you are roaming in China everything should be fine.

croozn no está en línea Stack level 1

I live in China and have a BB Pearl via Cingular and it roams everywhere without a problem. I don't think China Mobile's BB service is running yet.

If you are going to do a lot of voice calling, get a separate phone and put a prepaid China Mobile SIM in it. Then dial 17951 plus 001 and a 10-digit US number to call the US - very cheap international voice access that way. You could go a month with fairly frequent calling to the US for about 300-400 RMB (or about 50 bucks).

jinnes no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs down Re: BlackBerry in China - Help

Well, I can now tell everyone my experience. Even if you have a SIM card with data (GPRS) the BB will not be able to use BES or BIS. It's basically just limited to phone calls. Nice. My friend's Windows Mobile device uses the same China Mobile SIM and gets data access no problem. My 8100 can't do anything with the card but make calls. This may be the kicker for me. I may have to switch to Windows Mobile. Saw a nice new model available here that looks killer. Hate to leave RIM as a long time BB user, but I've wasted countless hours on this one. Kind of annoying. I had hoped I could swap SIMs and still have full BES functionality.

lbibeau no está en línea Stack level 1

I have been using the new 8830 WE in shanghai. I leave it on roaming (Bell Canada) and at least twice daily it switched from GRPS to GSM. Then i just reset the connection and usually that will do it, GPRS pops back up. Now for the last 3 days however whenever i reset the connection it goes to gprs and i cant connect to the proper GPRS or get any of my emails... Anyone know how to fix this?

I have tried turning it off and a hard reset (also removed the sim card and put it back in)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast