Details: Iphone 3g 8gb windows vista noob Bought an iphone from someone. Got it home ... iPhone Jailbreaking forum

Frog37_ no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    21af35bb

Tried Jailbreaking: how do i tell if its now a paperweight

Advertisement

Details:
    Iphone 3g 8gb
    windows vista
    noob

Bought an iphone from someone. Got it home and charged it for a while (it was completely dead). Played around with it and started the process to jailbreak/unlock. I think i got ahead of myself.

Downloaded the blackra1n software.
    Phone was ON. (i know big mistake)
    Plugged it in.
    iTunes was open on the computer.
    started blackra1n.
    clicked "make it ra1n"
    iTunes wanted to update to newest firmware (3.1.2 or whatever) i said no, and closed i tunes but left blackra1n open.
    phone turned off for a second then immediately went into "sync with itunes mode" (you know, the screen showing the cable and the itunes logo)
    it stayed like that for about a half hour.

I kept trying to reboot - hold power and home button, tried holding the home button. tried holding the power button. nothing would happen.

Finally i think the battery died. I figured no biggie ill just charge it again and start over. Left phone on the charger for 30 minutes and nothing is happening. Nothing on the screen. Again i tried rebooting, holding various combinations of buttons. All with no help.
    When its plugged into a computer nothing happens, no charging screen, no change on the iphone itself at all, no computer or iTunes recognition.

Anyone know if i just made it a really expensive and fancy paperweight?

P.S. - on a side note im not sure the power button actually works. I never pressed it while the phone was working to know if it actually does what it supposed to. Is is possible that i cant reboot- or turn it on because the power button isnt working?

any ideas of what i can try to get it back working?

beeshabo no está en línea Stack level 6
    Frog,
    Okay, the first thing you want to do it try and get the iPhone on. Try holding BOTH the Power and the Home buttons at the same time, for 10 seconds. If that don't work, try holding the Home button AS you plug the iPhone into your computer.

Either of those should give you something on your screen.

If (when) you get it on, you should update to the newest firmware (3.1.2) using iTunes, then you can Jailbreak it.

PIN/ID
    21af35bb
    I've tried that a couple of times. I left it on the charger when I left for work, so we'll see when I get home
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; MB200 Build/CUPCAKE) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1

beeshabo no está en línea Stack level 6
    Hmm okay! Let us know

PIN/ID
    21af35bb
    Well got home after leaving it on the charger all day. Nothing. Tried holding power and home button together. No dice. Tried just the power button. Bubkis. Tried holding the home button while connecting to I tunes. Squat.

I've got another one that's more or less just parts, I'm gonna try putting in a fresh battery and seeing how that goes.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; MB200 Build/CUPCAKE) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1

evo1725 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Hey but if it was on before, don't you think that your problem may be your USB cable? (hey it's worth to try)
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

neorabid no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    neorabid
    dont crack it open, check to see if it is still under warranty for replacement:
    https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do
    Quotes to live by:
    • Inspiration is like a lost sock. When your searching you can never find it, and when it appears, you least expect it.
    • There are no exceptions to the rule that everybody likes to be an exception to the rule.
    • Ideas are the factors that lift civilization. They create revolutions. There is more dynamite in an idea than in many bombs.
    • Realize deeply that the present moment is all you ever have.

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    So, you bought the phone without powering it on? Also, if you had it plugged in by USB, it would have been charging it that way. I say try what neo said and see if it is still under warranty.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16