Hi all, just read an article on the BBC website that Iphone owners who have ... iPhone Jailbreaking forum

ted
    ted no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    N/A

Iphone update can make modified Iphones "permanently inoperable"

Advertisement

Hi all, just read an article on the BBC website that Iphone owners who have unlocked their devices may get a nasty surprise when they update their software. And some users are even reporting that contact info, music, etc is also being deleted on un-modified Iphones. I don't mean any disrespect to MAC users (I happen to like MACs, about the only Apple product I like now) but I'm really beginning to dislike Apple almost as much as I dislike Microsoft! It just seems like Apple wants this tyranical control of their product range, thereby giving them absolute control of their pricing,etc. Please leave your thoughts guys....
    regards, Ted
    I have two very rare photographs. One is a picture of Houdini locking his keys in his car........

rw5579 no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Iphone update can make modified Iphones "permanently inoperable"

Quote Originally Posted by ted
    Hi all, just read an article on the BBC website that Iphone owners who have unlocked their devices may get a nasty surprise when they update their software. And some users are even reporting that contact info, music, etc is also being deleted on un-modified Iphones. I don't mean any disrespect to MAC users (I happen to like MACs, about the only Apple product I like now) but I'm really beginning to dislike Apple almost as much as I dislike Microsoft! It just seems like Apple wants this tyranical control of their product range, thereby giving them absolute control of their pricing,etc. Please leave your thoughts guys....
    regards, Ted
    its an interesting situation, i'd like to see how this all pans out in the next few months... most carriers and/or manufacturers resort to some software lock to create an intended user base and service combination... in this case Apple went to great length to create a hardware lock to minimize the likelihood of the device being unlocked... hackers and amatuer electronics students find ways around the lock... apple finds new ways to keep you from wanting to unlock or mod the device...

glad i did not buy an iphone

jamkam no está en línea Stack level 2

Well, Apple is in their right obviously to do what they will with all the caveats, but I think it went too far to wipe 3rd party apps...this is the heart of the whole freakin' software business and has really been what has driven Mac fans since their inception. They do this extreme crippling of their phones at the peril of alienating the diehard base.

I toyed with buying one but it was too limited as a first off phone. And I'd never have messed with OS to the point of endangering the phone itself knowing full well one of the reasons people love Apple is the way the have a seemless upgrade built in. Sadly, these guys got what they knew was coming to them. I wonder how many have bricks now that paid full intro price?

justajason no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242C7F74

I think that, if you bought it, its yours! You didnt RENT it! Or LEASE it You BOUGHT IT!!!
    And to think I used to respect Apple..........
    Ugh, couldnt think of anything to change it to.

ted
    PIN/ID
    N/A

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Wow, great responses guys! I DEFINITELY agree with justajason, you OWN the phone you should be able to unlock it from AT&T or whatever the designated carrier. I can see trying to discourage amateur electronics tinkerers from hacking the software, or trying to run pirate software on it, etc. But also when the article said non-modded phones had bugs still thought it sounded pretty bad. Anyway, should be pretty interesting to see what happens....

dj flyy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    244ac444

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Or to avoid this mess in the first place they could have teamed up with more than just AT&T!!!

The Moto RAZR launched on Tmo, VZW, cing, and everyone was giddy, making it the most used cell phone, and #1 xmas present for winter 2005.

Apple would have made THAT much more money! Hell, I might have considered.

Steve Jobs is brillant, he just fumbled the ball a bit on this one.

ted
    PIN/ID
    N/A

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Good point, Apple really did put all their eggs in one basket on the Iphone didn't they?

jamkam no está en línea Stack level 2

i guess until there's actually a law that says u.s. carriers can't continue these greedy practices and have a more open and competitive market, the debate will rage on and on.

jscottbarnes no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    No-More

Quote Originally Posted by justajason
    I think that, if you bought it, its yours! You didnt RENT it! Or LEASE it You BOUGHT IT!!!
    And to think I used to respect Apple..........
    I hear your side of this guys, but it's called FREE ENTERPRISE... simple as that... yeah, if you bought it, u did... but, you also bought it with full knowledge of the rules, regulations, limitations and caveats that come with that purchase -

You can't buy a car and drive on the left side of the road or go 85mph, just cuz u BOUGHT it... there are regulations that go along with that purchase that you as a consumer have to follow... same car you bought... if you put the wrong oil in the engine and it locks up on you... and you did so knowingly, you don't get a new car - u follow the provisions from the manufacturer.

at the end of the day... u don't HAVE to buy it - Apple recognizes that and takes that risk...

------------
    ~ jscott
    iPhone 3G & BOLD

PIN/ID

Quote Originally Posted by ted
    Hi all, just read an article on the BBC website that Iphone owners who have unlocked their devices may get a nasty surprise ...
    Yes some phones are bricked, and to get them working again you have to take to the apple store and be very nice to tthem as they don't have to fix they are doing it to please owners.

jwlussow no está en línea Stack level 3

I use an iPhone and I love the third party apps. That is why I haven't upgraded the firmware yet. Apple has a few things going for it. One is that in order to get the service, you have to agree to a 2 year contract with AT&T. It is a contract that should, by law, be in effect for the full 2 years. The other point is that in order to get the security needed for the iTunes Store, Apple had to "plug the hole" made by the third party apps. The old way of tapping into the phone had to be blocked to protect the security of the iTunes Store. That make sense to me and I know that there are people out there working on another way in. I do wish Apple would allow some of these programs since many of them are very useful. I'm gonna stick with the old firmware for a while but as soon as it's hacked I'm gonna move up.

Brettizzzle no está en línea Stack level 1

thats what hackers get!

spike41615 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241BD9F4

the whole basis of a SMART phone is the ability too add 3rd party apps to make it suite your needs and to personalize it however you want, thats the definition of smart phone. So technically the iphone is just a really souped up sidekick or something. The nice touchscreen and better music player is pretty much all it has on the rest of the phones on the market. Its not technically a smart phone in the sense its pretty much locked to what apple wants you to have. BS. If i buy something that expensive i wnat it to work like i want it to work. Apples consistant dependence on web 2.0 apps is the dumbest idea ever, ya there are some neat things out there for it, but at the end of the day nothing beats a good ol 3rd party app. And they are truly hurting themselves by locking it up so much. I've gone into the apple store various times and played with one. The touchscreen was awesome, and the way everything flowed together was great too, but after about 20 minutes i got a text on my blackberry and forgot all about the iphone, man i love my berry

jwlussow no está en línea Stack level 3

I don't believe it was ever marketed as a typical smart phone. It is a phone with internet, email access and an iPod. It does what it does very well. I do still have the third party apps and old firmware. I will miss them when I am forced to upgrade but that is the way it goes. I assume that will change someday.

Talk about texts....my damn sister in law texts me about 10 times a day on my iPhone. She never texted me on my 7100i. What a pain. I absolutly loved my 7100i but I hated the lack of support from RIM and the very poor Nextel network. For me, AT&T is a Godsend. I have service where Nextel never did and it is consistantly better. My last 10 or 15 years have been with Nextel so I am limited in my experience. So far AT&T blows Nextel away.

I do hope that RIM decides to start supporting Macs so I will have to make a decision the next time I need a phone. Right now, the iPhone and it's syncing capability has me very satisfied, but I do miss Telenav.