Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have an iPhone 4 and I was looking to get it jailbroken. I had ... iPhone Jailbreaking forum

smooth10 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21CB9337

iPhone 4 jailbreaking help

Advertisement

I have an iPhone 4 and I was looking to get it jailbroken. I had a few questions...

1. Does this ruin my phone?
    2. Does it void my warranty?
    3. What benefits does one get from jailbreaking an iPhone 4?
    4. How do you jailbreak an iPhone 4?
    5. Can I do it myself?

Sorry for the list, I'm a newbie. Thanks in advance!

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Ive had my i4 for about 10 weeks now, so let me say Im a relative newb at this also. I jailbroke it myself the third day I had it. I also had a 3G before I took the plunge and jailbroke it also. Im running 4.0.1 iOS. It will not ruin your phone. Mine works flawlessly. If you ever wish to restore it to factory, just hook it up to iTunes and hit the restore button. Technically, I think if it stayed jailbroken, it would void the warranty, but it's very simple to restore back to factory. Look around the web and use either greenpoison or limerain to jailbreak. You can do it, it takes about 5 minutes. The benefits are many, including hundreds of themes (see i4 screenshot thread here on PS), many apps, ringtones, etc. To me, the risk is minimal, and the benefits are great. It wont hurt your phone in the least, and you can still do your iTunes thing with no problem. Do your research, ask more questions and talk to some more knowlegable folks than me on here such as bmay82, Raton, Sooner, and srl7741. Good luck with your descision, and holler if I can help.
    Last edited by chokem; 10-20-2010 at 11:32 PM.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

PIN/ID
    21CB9337
    Man oh man, you never fail me chokem. I'll definitely heed your advice! Thank you!

PIN/ID
    nada
    http://forums.pinstack.com/f214/lets...themes-121572/
    this is the theme thread, holler if you need help, all the guys I mentioned above are iPhone savy, a LOT more than me. Ask them if you need help, I know they would be very receptive. Your most welcome my friend. BTW, what iOS are you running?
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

PIN/ID
    21CB9337
    Thanks! I am running 4.1. I think I did a jailbreak of my phone. I now see Cydia but I don't know what that is at this point. I'll have to keep asking around

PIN/ID
    nada
    If you have a Cydia icon, then your phone is JB. Open Cydia, and search "winterboard", and install it. Winterboard allows you to pick and chosse what themes, apps, etc you want to run, after you have installed them from Cydia. Winterboard is a list, if you will, of stuff you DL from Cydia. Go to themes for instance in Cydia, find one you like, and install it. It will then appear in Winterboard so you can apply it. Note, some themes are for the 3G and 3Gs and will not work on iOS4. But dont worry, it wont hurt your i4 by DL and trying them.
    Last edited by chokem; 10-21-2010 at 08:28 AM.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

sooner no está en línea Stack Professional
    smooth~ what carrier are you? If you are not ATT you deffinately need to think about saving your SHSH if you havent already.

Reason being, at some point YOU WILL HAVE TO RESTORE when doing this (restore) to more than likely a new OS (since Crapple puts out a new one every week) it will likely also change your baseband. What is this? And why do YOU care? If your ATT you dont cuz Baseband unlocks for use with different carriers. If you rely on an unlock you may be in trouble if you need to restore. It can be very complicated and very confusing with all the info and different devices, OSs and JailBreakin tools. In my signature is a link to get the latest guide for any iDevice for JailBreakin or Unlocking tools you need. For the future.

Good luck and God Speed

iLord is DEAD!

PIN/ID
    21CB9337
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner View Post
    smooth~ what carrier are you? If you are not ATT you deffinately need to think about saving your SHSH if you havent already.

Reason being, at some point YOU WILL HAVE TO RESTORE when doing this (restore) to more than likely a new OS (since Crapple puts out a new one every week) it will likely also change your baseband. What is this? And why do YOU care? If your ATT you dont cuz Baseband unlocks for use with different carriers. If you rely on an unlock you may be in trouble if you need to restore. It can be very complicated and very confusing with all the info and different devices, OSs and JailBreakin tools. In my signature is a link to get the latest guide for any iDevice for JailBreakin or Unlocking tools you need. For the future.

Good luck and God Speed
    I'm in Canada. I'm with Rogers. I'm a little lost but I'll visit your signature and try to find out more.
    Thank you!

PIN/ID
    21CB9337
    Quote Originally Posted by chokem View Post
    If you have a Cydia icon, then your phone is JB. Open Cydia, and search "winterboard", and install it. Winterboard allows you to pick and chosse what themes, apps, etc you want to run, after you have installed them from Cydia. Winterboard is a list, if you will, of stuff you DL from Cydia. Go to themes for instance in Cydia, find one you like, and install it. It will then appear in Winterboard so you can apply it. Note, some themes are for the 3G and 3Gs and will not work on iOS4. But dont worry, it wont hurt your i4 by DL and trying them.
    I just downloaded winterboard. So far, so good.

Thank you again!

sooner no está en línea Stack Professional
    Ok you are not on ATT. which means u have to jailbreak to get the good stuff but in order for u to use on rogers u have to unlock ur device which is the basband. jailbreakn a device is easy its bein able to find a unlock for certain basebands. if u go to settings/about scroll down u will see some nubers (5.12 ect....) that is ur baseband. in my sig look for modle number and it will tell if it can be Jailbroken dependi. on ur OS. then it will have a baseband. and what will unlock it if it can be done. in cydua when it loads look for make my life eazier at top of home page. this saves ur OS and baseband. if u need to xown grade one or both. how to do that is a tottaly diff story. my advice dont download a bunch of crap and delete what u dont use in cydia. hope this helps.

iLord is DEAD!

PIN/ID
    21CB9337
    This is what I have. As far as I can see, I don't think I can unlock it yet
    Attached Images Attached Images

PIN/ID
    21CB9337
    When will the unlock code come out for the iPhone 4?

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    I just traded my iphone 4 with my brother...he just one fresh spanking squeaky new. Unfortunately, it came with 4.1 already; I'm on AT&T so I really don't care if it's unlocked or not. I had 4.0.1 on it and traded it so that he can use it on T-mobile. His friends cuts sim cards so that they can work on their network. He just called me from it...Currently loading my backup on the new phone... sheeeby. BTW, Greenpoison jailbreak kicks major donkey balls!
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

PIN/ID
    21CB9337
    I just got the free app store and have been downloading apps like they are going out of style!!!
    I love this phone even more now and I can customize the colours and icons. What was I waiting for all this time? I should have hopped on the iPhone bandwagon a long time ago.
    Thanks for everyone's help and advice here!

PIN/ID
    nada
    Good deal smooth. Congrats!
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast