Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Is there anyway to customize the iPhone 3G WITHOUT jailbreaking it?! I ask b/c I ... iPhone Jailbreaking forum

illusiveongaku7 no está en línea Stack level 2

Customizing iPhone?!?!

Advertisement

Is there anyway to customize the iPhone 3G WITHOUT jailbreaking it?!

I ask b/c I am very much confused as to how to even jailbreak it to begin with. I've read probably a dozen toutorials and just end up lost. Especially since I crashed it 4 days into owning it.

I would also like to know how to do custom text tones, font styles, menu bar and button design and color changes... Etc...
    Theirs so much confusion on what summerboard is, winterboard, the blacksn0w, redsn0w, blah, blah, blah... I'm entirely LOST!!!

This is why Plazmic for Blackberry rocked so much, it was WAYYY EASIER and a main reason why I NOW hate my iPhone.

If anyones got some major yet simple help, itd be much appreciated!!

Thanks!!
    Last edited by illusiveongaku7; 12-15-2009 at 12:03 AM.

Anyone got any help on this?!...

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    Without Jailbreaking? No. You can add your own ringtones but that's about it. A stock iPhone is extremely restricted.....this bought about the entire reason for jailbreaking. Please don't hate your iPhone because you don't understand it. IMO a jailbroken 3GS is the best thing since sliced bread. I was lost in the beginning but then I learned. My iPhone is the best phone I have ever owned.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

beeshabo no está en línea Stack level 6
    INDEED! what calm_tiger said LOL

neorabid no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    neorabid
    just jailbreak it takes 15 seconds and one button click
    Quotes to live by:
    • Inspiration is like a lost sock. When your searching you can never find it, and when it appears, you least expect it.
    • There are no exceptions to the rule that everybody likes to be an exception to the rule.
    • Ideas are the factors that lift civilization. They create revolutions. There is more dynamite in an idea than in many bombs.
    • Realize deeply that the present moment is all you ever have.

PIN/ID
    neorabid
    *Winterboard is what you use to implement themes and customization*

if you are on the latest firmware use blackrain: http://www.blackra1n.com - windows or mac
    download cydia from blackra1n app, open cydia, search and download winterboard. reboot your device open cydia again and click sections then look at the themes section and download to your hearts content or until your HD space runs out .
    once you have them downloaded open winterboard app and select the items you wish to make active.

thats it, its really very simple
    Quotes to live by:
    • Inspiration is like a lost sock. When your searching you can never find it, and when it appears, you least expect it.
    • There are no exceptions to the rule that everybody likes to be an exception to the rule.
    • Ideas are the factors that lift civilization. They create revolutions. There is more dynamite in an idea than in many bombs.

Neorabid: you sure this works cause I went to jailbreak my phone a wk n2 owning it and it crashed on me.

Plus I hear that its easy for hackers to get n2 your phone after is jailbreaked... Is this true and are their any other known issues using "blackra1n" on the 3.1.2 version?

Everyone else... Thanks for all the help!!! Its much appreciated!!
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

I also tried to download "blackra1n" and my PC just causes the download to stop and shut down... Ugh... Problems already... Not turning out to be too simple...

EDIT: Tried this on my other computer instead of laptop... right now, I've installed BlackRa1n... workin on the rest... will keep everyone posted.
    Last edited by illusiveongaku7; 12-15-2009 at 09:57 PM.

OK... Update:

Got BlackRa1n installed...
    Installed Cydia...
    Downloaded Winterboard. -was able to change a few things with winterboard, but how to I install themes & customize it more?...

UPDATE: Was able to do some theme, and customization downloads thru Cydia... as far as other sites listed here where you can download themes 'n' such... how do you go about downloading them into the phone?!

Thanks everyone for all the help!!! =)
    Last edited by illusiveongaku7; 12-15-2009 at 10:59 PM.

PIN/ID
    neorabid
    Quote Originally Posted by illusiveongaku7 View Post
    Neorabid: you sure this works cause I went to jailbreak my phone a wk n2 owning it and it crashed on me.

Plus I hear that its easy for hackers to get n2 your phone after is jailbreaked... Is this true and are their any other known issues using "blackra1n" on the 3.1.2 version?

Everyone else... Thanks for all the help!!! Its much appreciated!!
    Only if you install ssh can they do anything to your phone. And even then if you changed your root password you would be fine.

cjeezy no está en línea Stack level 3
    Once you jb download Mobile Substrate and Winterboard FIRST! If your phone crashes later on a simple reboot typically fixes the problem. If not just do a restore then re-jailbreak! Definitely worth it! IMO

illusive - Just do as cjeezy suggests, make sure you download/install BOTH MobileSubstrate & WinterBaord....then you can start downloading and applying themes.

Install SSH, it's VERY useful, it gives you root access to your iPhone, that allows you to get into the system files for things like customization and pulling downloaded content off your phone as well.

Just make sure you change your SSH password to protect your iPhone from being hacked into. HERE is a how-to (you must download MobileTerminal to do this)

PIN/ID
    neorabid
    I dont even use SSH anymore there are MANY other ways to access your files without it that are quicker and safer.Personally I use iFile and iFunBox for most theme modifying. If you do end up installing SSH please change your root password it takes like 30 seconds and is fairly easy.
    Quotes to live by:

neo - Wait, don't you NEED SSH (installed) to access your root files in both iFunBox and iFile? Or am I mistaken?

Woah... slow down guys... LOL...

First off... I do have this thing called DiskAid... would this work?! And "How" exactly do I go about utilizing it?!...
    Next off... what is MobileSubstrate and what's it do?

...sorry... such the iPhone (and Mac in general) rookie!!! Been dealing with PC's and Blackberries WAYYYY longer... LOL!

So far the jailbreak and using Winterboard have been great, but I notice some things interrupt othres... such as, if I download a complete theme, it affects other partial changes I've done such as a home screen or a dialer screen or buttons... is their a way to bypass or fix this?!

Ex: I have the Glaskart theme on Winterboard and theirs like 10 options listed in Winterboard to either turn on or off... how do I distinguish what affects what?! Theirs things I don't understand like "Wall Spotlight", "Visible SB..." and "GUI Elements" - I'm like WTF over here with all this... LOL!!

- - - Few Other ?'s:
    Can I use Summerboard Themes on Winterboard?!

(following are categories in Cydia...)
    What are "Icy" Themes?
    What are "PogoPlank" Themes
    What are "SBSettings" Themes?
    What are "SpringBoard" Themes?
    Whats are (and the difference between) the "Video" and the "Videos" Themes?!

Thanks for all the help everyone... I'm able to enjoy my iPhone a LOT more now! LOL!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast