Apologies for the BlackBerry user creeping in here, however it is for a HTC user ... Android Apps & Downloads forum

Villordsutch no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2A2F75F4

HTC News Feeds (Freeware) Needed for father.

Advertisement

Apologies for the BlackBerry user creeping in here, however it is for a HTC user (namely my father).

My Dad has just got a swanky new phone and is slowly, and I mean really slowly, getting used to it. I showed him on my BB the News Read with the feeds and he wants one so he can get the news from the Village where near where he grew up (Oban Times) fed to it (as I do).

Can anyone please recommend an easy to install/use News Feed application?

Thanks

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Hey, where are all our Droid users to help out here?

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Bellshare has a great reader for BlackBerry. I understand they're now working on Android apps, so it's only a matter of time until BeReader is available on 'Droid.

PIN/ID
    2A2F75F4
    I've pointed him at the Twitter and Facebook Oban Times pages for the moment. Hopefully there is nice free Reader out there somewhere.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Doh! Missed this. Gimme a few.........

News Rob, already tested, gets several feeds from The Oban Times

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.newsrob
    Last edited by jfcooley; 09-02-2011 at 02:54 PM.

PIN/ID
    2A2F75F4
    Excellent. Will send this on to him now.

Thank you very muchly for this.

PIN/ID
    2A2F75F4
    Righty-o before I start I will offer an apology for being what may appear to be cheeky but I will use my father as the reason (My dad lives a fair few miles away and all be it he is 61 works nearly every hour he can).

I sent him the above link to the News Reader but he cannot add a feed. I have told him (via phone) it is normally is as simple as 'ADD FEED' then just input the link

http://www.obantimes.co.uk/feed

However, for which ever reason he cannot. In his defence he has had a brick as a mobile phone for the past few years and this is his first dabble into the Smartphone world (I was lucky that whatsapp was easy to install and use).

If possible and if anyone uses it could you please give me an easy process step to add the above feed?

Again apologies for the cheeky(ness) of this but it's my dad.

Thank you

I tested on my tab, and the fault may be mine, I never even bothered to grab my phone and test.

In a bit of a rush to get wife to work, but once I'm back home I'll either figure it out or find him another that works. I'll update in an hour.

I'll get it sorted for him

Quick edit
    Its newsrob, for some reason its not retrieving the feed even when it adds it. Gets the others, but ignores main. I downloaded and was able to read main oban feed with standard Google RSS from market. Mess with more once home.
    Last edited by jfcooley; 09-05-2011 at 06:24 AM.

PIN/ID
    2A2F75F4
    Thanks for this.

Well, I owe you an apology, as Newsrob has proven to be a pain in the droid this morning. Your dad should be frustrated, I recommended a dud apparently.

When I search and find Oban Times, it comes up with several feeds from its publisher related to the paper. You can add them, but seems that Newsrob becomes selective as to what it wants to show. If he goes online to his Google account and selects reader, it will be there. So the fault apparently lies with Newsrob.

So, I downloaded the basic reader. Should have done this first, but I can be dense. Google RSS pulls it right away, seeing where Newsrob added the feed. He can download it, then use the add feed (if Newsrob didn't add for him before) and search or add the link for the Oban Times. Searching actually found a few more, like local business. He can then check the ones he wants from there, then menus/refresh from main screen of the reader to get the stories.

Any feeds he sees that he doesn't (like the 1000 tech feeds that are there by default) he can just long press on and choose delete.

Hope this works for him. If it doesnt tell him its the silly Americans fault :-)
    https://market.android.com/details?i...id.apps.reader

PIN/ID
    2A2F75F4
    Thanks for this. Will send it too him now. As soon as he replies will let you know.

Again, big thanks for this.

PIN/ID
    2A2F75F4
    My apologies for not following this up. I had to take the phone from him, but I can confirm this works a treat and he is very happy getting his (nearby) hometowns news direct to his phone

Thank you

Don't sweat it, just happy to help.