So I finally got the invite to Google Music beta. I wanted a nice covienient ... Android Apps & Downloads forum

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional

Google Music Beta Review

Advertisement

So I finally got the invite to Google Music beta. I wanted a nice covienient way to share my music with my tab without taking up space. I know there are other ways, but its a beta, and I'm a sucker for a beta.

Once I had the invite I went online and did the usual licence agreements. Afterwards you are asked what genres you like and can select a free music pack from one. The free music isn't bad, but what you'd expect from free music.

Once in you'll see the usual suspects. Artists, albums, recently added, playlists, the like. Cover art is displayed, and you can scroll as you like. If you've used anything like this before, you'll be at home. Clicking on a title gives the usual. There will be a little triangle that produces a drop down, giving options like shop, delete, edit and play.

Clicking "Add Music" will prompt you to download the Google Music Manager. Again, no surprises, once downloaded it asks where your music is on your computer. Point it in the right direction and it scans, then adds to your account. I only added an Amazon folder to begin with. Using my phones tether it updated the folder as fast as I would expect. Music added is available as soon as the upload ends. Watching the uploaded, it uploads songs 2 at a time, overlapping so there's always one uploading until they're finished.

A bug I found happens when you choose to edit a songs cover art. If you don't have a file to upload you get stuck on the little upload window. Only way I found out of it was to close the browser tab ans reload. At least on my connection the browser sometimes had to be refreshed to see the music added.

The next test would be adding my music that I've collected from sites other than Amazon and tracks I've ripped from my CDs. It went well, however if cover art doesn't transfer, you have to add manually. Being beta I can live with this, but hope they sort that out eventually. For now albumart.org fills in the gaps.

Once the music is uploaded, and you download the app from the Market, you will see everything on your device. Navigating through your music is fairly easy, but being beta some issues show up. Under artist view the cover art is semi transparent, and since they're stacked on top of each other, it looks messy. As well some artwork in some views shows up blurry. Again, its beta, no biggie.

Playback is smooth, I've not expirienced any skipping or wacky hijinks. You can choose songs to be available offline, downloading them to you device from within the app.

Overall, no bad, but not anything to get really excited about. Its good in beta form, but there's room for improvement.

If your interested Google "Google music" and you'll soon find a page to request an invite. Takes a couple of days, so be patient.

Here are some screens.
    Attachment 33338Attachment 33339Attachment 33340Attachment 33341

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Nice review Jay, thanks for tipping us stackers in on the Google Music option

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

Np, I do have 3 invites if any of our regular Stacker wanna fight over them. The fourth goes to Cas if she wants it. Gotta think about the wife you know.

jksingh no está en línea Stack level 1
    Can i get an invite my gmail is jksingh96@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by jksingh View Post
    Can i get an invite my gmail is jksingh96@gmail.com
    OK guy, I sent you one, in the helpful spirit of Pinstack.

Hope you hang around a bit.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'll check it out if you have a spare, Jay

2 more left. Any regulars interested?

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Talk about monopolization. Sheesh!
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I would like one, but here in the "sticks" Google has us stuck...

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Ugh. I have 22,000+ songs. I've had Google Music since Jay sent me the invite and it's barely uploaded 1150 of them. They're gonna have to improve the upload speed big time.

JavaBratt no está en línea Stack Professional
    Wow I must say that it actually sounds quite impressive.

I was offered an invite last week, but passed because I thought it was a poor attempt on Google's part to try to redeem themselves after the whole Google+ thing, which in my opinion is a waste of internet space. I mean IMO, it was nothing more than a really bad knock-off of Facebook. A buggy one if that LOL!

But after reading Jay's review I'm kind of kicking myself in the butt for passing it up and I may have to rethink that LOL! Although I don't know if my home internet can handle it
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4
    iPad 3 - 32GB | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info