Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PapaMag

Several days ago I purchased App Lock 3.0 to lock apps, files etc. on my ... BlackBerry Apps & Downloads forum

JavaBratt no está en línea Stack Professional

Thumbs down App Lock 3.0 - Buyer beware

Advertisement

Several days ago I purchased App Lock 3.0 to lock apps, files etc. on my device. I used it on several apps and it was great, had no problems to speak of. BUT I also used it to lock files on my device memory as well as my SD card and that's where the problems started.

I quickly realized that due to having those files locked, my device could not access them as my device memory was marked as "Read Only" and my SD card was marked as "Hidden". These attributes could not be undone. As such I removed the locks thinking that all would be resolved. Unfortunately this was not the case.

I contacted the developer (Ajani InfoTech Private Limited, according to BB App World) who informed me that this was a common occurrence with App Lock 3.0 users. This information was not disclosed in any form prior to the purchase and/or subsequent download. I was further informed that App Lock 3.0 users assume their files have been deleted and end up screwing up (for lack of a better phrase) these files themselves. The developers advice... wipe your device and remove all third party applications.

Suffice to say I was not the least bit impressed with their response which completely avoided responsibility for the app performance nor was I any more impressed with their so-called "technical support" (responses were coming from Empower Interactive). In the end their app resulted in my being completely locked out of my own devices memory as well as my SD card. I have heard of tight security, but this was completely ridiculous!

As a result I was forced to completely wipe my device, SD card, reformat both and spend hours gathering the apps I once used. Not to mention all the irreplaceable files on my SD card which were permanently lost. Thankfully I only ended up paying $1 for this app, but regardless I requested a refund. Maybe if enough people do the same in this situation they will actually break down and fix the bugs that cause these problems rather than hiding them until someone contacts them as I did.

So buyer beware!! The app worked great when it came to locking other apps, but if you plan to use it to lock files on your device memory and/or SD card, be prepared to spend days cleaning up the mess it makes
    Last edited by JavaBratt; 04-25-2011 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Added developer info
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4
    iPad 3 - 32GB | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Wow. Sorry to hear about your problems with this app, but happy to hear you finally figured out what happened with your files.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    Wow. Sorry to hear about your problems with this app, but happy to hear you finally figured out what happened with your files.
    Yeah thanks RogerG!

I'm happy to have finally got it all figured out as well and hopefully by posting this it will help someone else avoid going through the same thing I did.
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4
    iPad 3 - 32GB | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    wow I can't believe you would develope, sell, a app will well known problems and not offer the end consumer a solution or their money back. I guess it's a state of mind. If one of my themes fails and it relates to the way it was built, not only will I fix the problem, I will return the purchase price and get the buyer 2 or 3 for free. Word of mouth such as this post will kill sales faster than anything, and we all know how fast things can move on the web with facebook, twitter, and the forums.
    lak611 likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

Yeah it probably wouldn't have angered me as much if their support hadn't admitted it was a common problem as I would have just wrote it off as a buck wasted. But to admit its a common problem, then make it seem like I was the one that did something wrong, really hit a nerve. That combined with their solution of wiping my device really set me off. But to contact me AFTER all this and say oh by the way, we can recover your files (the ones they told me to wipe) was enough to make me want to jump on a plain, fly to wherever they are and knock the crap outta them LOL!

So again.. This is the difference between developers who care and those who are out to make a quick buck.

berryapp no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Need Refund Capability in AppWorld!

It would have been really helpful if AppWorld would allow an easy way to refund to the customers. As far as I know they do not have similar refund functionality like MobiHand.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Thanks for posting Dee, this may def help someone in the future.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red