Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Yeah, There are definitely getting to be too many devices to have one for each ... Site Announcements & help forum

iridemybike no está en línea Stack Professional

Advertisement

Yeah, There are definitely getting to be too many devices to have one for each one. Almost seems like instead of maybe redesigning the forum as it grew and evolved that we just kind of kept tacking on extra forums instead. Now it's huge and there are a lot of sections that don't get used very often. Here is another forum that I use that is very active and even though it is active and has a lot of information they use more general forums and a tagging system in them to differentiate what it is about at a glance. http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Yeah, that one is really clean looking.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Maybe one forum for each os until site picks up.

It sees a lot of traffic as well but it's still easy to follow with the tags, which for us could be for different devices or operating systems or carriers. However we decided to divide it up. It would get a lot more people reading the forums and learning about other areas and possibly contributing as well. As it stands now I don't think we get a lot of that because people go straight to the subforum that fits them and if there is nothing there they leave. On that site though I've read several conversations that didn't really fit what I specifically looking for just because the title caught my eye. We could get that here too but people never see those other titles because they aren't looking through the other 30 or 40 subforums to hunt them down. That system could also boost activity on our forums in general as well.
    RogerG likes this.

I don't understand how to use tags, but think it's a great idea.

It's actually pretty simple. It works just like a prefix and you just select the topic you are posting about when you start a new thread. On that forum we also have the original thread starter to go back and mark their topic as "solved" when they get it answered as well partly because it's such a busy place. Here is a screenshot of the new thread screen with the prefix menu pulled down. Ubuntu Screenshot.jpg

This is how it looks in practice, You can see the different posts with the prefix on them and tags so you can easily see at a glance what it's about.

Ubuntu Screenshot 2.jpg

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by iridemybike View Post
    Yeah, There are definitely getting to be too many devices to have one for each one. Almost seems like instead of maybe redesigning the forum as it grew and evolved that we just kind of kept tacking on extra forums instead. Now it's huge and there are a lot of sections that don't get used very often. Here is another forum that I use that is very active and even though it is active and has a lot of information they use more general forums and a tagging system in them to differentiate what it is about at a glance. http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php
    Here is another forum I frequent that does not look overly cluttered. http://forums.opensuse.org/ If all the international forums are not included, there is not an overabundance of categories.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    This is a vBulletin site a friend of mine runs. https://www.positek.net/content.php

A
    ny thoughts on this layout/design?
    I like it. It would be very easy for someone who is new to scroll through and quickly find what he is looking for.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    There are lots of great example out there but the best are always "Clean and simple" to navigate. The more Ads the worse it gets, keeping in mind touch navigation is important.

Tabs are good, buttons are bad. The front page should be news only but also tied to the forum on the back side. No one should get lost when going from the front page news to the forums to discuss things further or looking for help.

The PinStack.com logo everywhere should NOT say .com but rather PinStack the .com needs removed. I compare this too every time I hear a radio/TV Ad and the person says visit www. whatever.com there is no need to even say www. anymore. A simple visit whatever.com is now the standard and when you hear that it's a turn off. can ya tell I have a few pet peeves?

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ^^^with all you say, Steve, I agree. PINSTACK especially. Ditch .com. Front page must "blast" out (color, better possibility of inserting bigger format pictures, and attractiveness) and then tabs for What's New is an essential. Tabs also for each operating system. Stackers can easily get into the flow like that. All the rest (sub-forums really) should also be tabbed, but within each OS. International sections? Not really. We are (Pinstack is) international and if needed because of BB and BBM, and within that specific OS, create the different countries. But I think it's a waste anyway.
    The Premium has probably outlived its usage. How many paying members are there? Don't get rid of it, but open it up to all...
    Now, all the sub-divisions we have can create confusion to new stackers (actually they still do to me). As I said, divide all into OS tabs and within these there must be a Help section. That's what PINSTACK is all about.
    Change the colors. I love blue. But it's too much blue.
    Advertising ? I'm sure Pinstack needs the revenue it generates. But get some color here too.
    Heck I could go on with more, but I'm sure everyone has an idea. These are my two cents.
    So let's hear from all. I'm sure we have designers in our midst.
    Last edited by Delfim; 03-07-2012 at 02:10 PM.

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    You know I've been playing with vbulletin for a few years, I have changed colors, used the side bars, messed with the front page, blogs, etc. In my humble opinion it boils down to the massive amount of information and history PinStack has. It is very easy to keep a vBulletin site looking clean if you are not offering a ton of information. If you think about the system and various devices, it becomes overwhelming. For instance you have Android, ok how many different devices, makes, models, roms, rooting, wallpapers, apps, etc, now move to BlackBerry, how many different devices, OS's, Wallpapers, Themes, discussions, etc. Then move to iPhone, then move to Tablets. You are talking about lots of forums and sub-forums. Then let's just get into the front page and the news articles, what I determine to be the backbone of PinStack at present time.

What I'm trying to say is you can make it look simple by putting in the Forums, but from there users open the forum up and there is thousands of threads. I can name a number of sites that are like this that have been around for 6+ years, but try finding something specific, your only alternative is the search box and with that being said you will bring up quite a number of threads under the subject you search for.

If PinStack was hopping like it was say even two or three years ago it would take a full time staff just to keep things from bogging down.

With this being said I do have a good amount of experience with the control panel so if you need some help or have some tasks that you just can't get to let me know. I'm sure I can find some time to help out.

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

Thanks for the feedback, Craig! Always appreciated. Our goal is to get PS hoppin' again, so let's keep those cards and letters comin'!

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaMag View Post
    ...Then let's just get into the front page and the news articles, what I determine to be the backbone of PinStack at present time.
    That's the spirit.
    And kind and gentle folks let me inform you: Papamag is right.
    After my article # 2036 (ahem!..nobody noticed, and I'm just dropping a hint for all you unaware stackers, administrators et al) I agree.
    Lot's of work.
    And let me add, I'm disappointed. I'm gonna sulk now.Cheers.

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    ah quit your sulking and get your next 10 articles posted cause I know you have them rolling around in that techy mind of yours. Oh sorry I got carried away. If you look at the forum section, it's layout is quite good and easy to locate the section and sub-catagory you may be looking for. What I would like to see is the new news articles, and all other posts being separated into two tabs. If the writers post several articles at once which happens quite often, a newbies question or post gets blown off the front page within a matter of minutes.
    iNurse likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast