Not sure if this is the right place to post this - mods please move ... Site Announcements & help forum

NickAC no está en línea Stack level 3

Boolean searching in keywords?

Advertisement

Not sure if this is the right place to post this - mods please move if necessary. I've tried to find the answer here but have been unable to.

How do you use boolean operations when searching by keywords. I'm talking about when you do an Advanced Search on the whole site. When I put in keywords, the search seems to always treat them as an OR operation. Most sites seem to default to AND searching when multiple keywords are entered.

I've tried separating the keywords with AND, using a + before each word, etc. No matter what I do, it always seems to do an OR search.

This is really an issue when using the BB to browse. If I'm here on my computer, I can use the other options to narrow my search. But on the BB browser, I only get a single search window.

artcarney no está en línea Stack level 3
    Wondering the same here.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

On a whim I typed in "search help" into Google. Found this link: http://www.google.com/support/websea...?answer=136861

Apparently you can do site searches from Google. See the above link for more info. It appears you could do boolean searches on pinstack only using Google.

Hope this helps better than my first non-answer.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

You're right - I've often found using the "Search Pinstack.com" by Google to work correctly. That field doesn't show up when accessing on the BB Browser though right?

Well, I guess we could always go directly to google.com and search that way. You can do this by typing the phrase site: pinstack.com after the search terms. (don't add a space between the : and the p. I did that just to keep the automatic formatting from turning it into a emoticon! )

I just find it kind of strange that Pinstack doesn't do an automatic AND boolean search like most message forums. Especially since most forums struggle with getting people to search first before asking questions! Oh well, still love the site!
    Last edited by NickAC; 04-12-2009 at 02:02 PM.

bill16 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    sorry no
    Maybe you could try making a sudjestion for a more versatile search function, via the feedback button.I'd recommend using a computer to do it though.I tried to make a sudjestion once via my blackberry and it didn't work out so well for me.

I will do that - thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by NickAC View Post
    You're right - I've often found using the "Search Pinstack.com" by Google to work correctly. That field doesn't show up when accessing on the BB Browser though right?

Well, I guess we could always go directly to google.com and search that way. You can do this by typing the phrase site: pinstack.com after the search terms. (don't add a space between the : and the p. I did that just to keep the automatic formatting from turning it into a emoticon! )

I just find it kind of strange that Pinstack doesn't do an automatic AND boolean search like most message forums. Especially since most forums struggle with getting people to search first before asking questions! Oh well, still love the site!
    I guess the 8320 doesn't have a search engine built into it's browser like this ...

(see attachment)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don't know if you're joking, but yes, it does have that page. That's what I was talking about using for a Google based site-search.

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by artcarney View Post
    I guess the 8320 doesn't have a search engine built into it's browser like this ...

(see attachment)
    The search feature is part of the 4.5 OS and should be available on any 8320 with 4.5.

Oh yeah, that's right. My 8320 came with 4.5 already installed, but on my Pearl I didn't get that homepage until updating to 4.5.