Hello people! I live in Africa, zambia to be specific. I have joined this community ... Networking with PinStackers forum

alexmbulo no está en línea Stack level 1

Post Using blackberry curve 8900 as modem for unlimited internet plan

Advertisement

Hello people!
    I live in Africa, zambia to be specific. I have joined this community so as to be part of the smartphones community the world over. My carrier is zain zambia and I have unlimited internet plan but my BB 8900 can not be used as a modem. I have tether software and Iam advised to input APN, username and password for zain zambia. I have been told APN is internet and username including password to be blank but still my internet connection is not working. I contacted my carrier and I was told that they bought a license from blackberry to offer internet services. Among the APN list provided zain zambia is not there. What could be APN, username and password for such an arrangement between zain zambia and blackberry? Please assist me as soon as you can.....

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Welcome to PinStack!

Everything I've seen on the Internet says to use the settings you have been instructed to use.

APN: internet
    Username: {blank}
    Password: {blank}

Are you able to go on the internet or use other services with your data plan?

What tethering software do you have?

I'm not sure if this helps, but www.tether.com has tethering software that will automatically apply the APN settings for you, allowing you to tether. I've used this program for a couple of years now and this is a recent enhancement to their software. They have a free 7 day trial you could check out to see if it works for you.

Cheers,
    Roger

Just for fun, try using "internet" for all three (APN, username, password).

RoboticGolem no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24ab431b
    I've never had to purchase special software to tether my 8900. The newer desktop managers all have a 'setup ip modem' feature.

If not:
    make sure that when you have your 8900 plugged in, you have a standard modem installed ion the device manager (usually com6)

Then go to your modem settiongs and Turn off "Enable Hardware Flow Control", Turn off "Enable Modem Error Control", and Turn off "Enable Modem Compression"

Then make sure you add +cgdcont=1,"IP","internet" to that modems init strings. (Internet is your wap setting)

Here's were I kinda die off. For T-mo its *99# for the dialup phone number, then the 10 digetnumber for the username and my already setup password.

I know it may not be a lot of help, but maybe looking through this will give you some assembance of idea as to where the problem may lie.

Good luck.

I have already acquired tether software from tether.com. It is the same software RogerG you are referring to. Could you assist me with configuration and my data plan is monthly payment to zain zambia. With the phone internet is not a problem at all. But i need to be using the phone as a modem to my laptop. My windows version is win 7.

Coming to the second suggestion,I have installed the blackberry desktop software version 5. When i try to connect the connection is not allowed, RoboticGolem could you give me step by step how to configure the modem? With this plan or connection do you pay extra money when using desktop software? With tether you do not pay extra money apart from your data plan.Waiting to hear from you soon

RoboticGolem no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24ab431b
    With the way I listed, you don't even pay for the tether software. If you have the dm5.0 installed and already used that to set it up. Just go to your network connections and right click on the dial up networking connection that it made and verify those settings. I am not familiar with windows 7 tho so I'm not positive.

Under network connections, select new connection
    Choose use modem (or dialup connection)
    Select the rim blackberry modem
    (Verify the phone number with your provider)*99#
    Your username and password

You can then right click on the connection, select properties
    Go to modem, advanced, put that init string in the extra init box, and disable the other stuff from above.

Again tho, your provider should have your wap settings (+cgdcont=1,"IP","[yourwapserverhere]" and then the username and password that they have you set up for.

I apologize that I am not more familiar with windows 7, but my old laptop still has xp. =)

Quote Originally Posted by alexmbulo View Post
    I have already acquired tether software from tether.com. It is the same software RogerG you are referring to. Could you assist me with configuration and my data plan is monthly payment to zain zambia. With the phone internet is not a problem at all. But i need to be using the phone as a modem to my laptop. My windows version is win 7.
    Make sure you have the latest version of Tether on your device, which 1.1.0.6. This is the version that has the automatic APN detection. Again, I'm not sure it will work with Zain, but worth a shot. Then you don't need to worry about what settings you have in there. In fact, clear out the settings entirely, make sure you have the latest Tether for your device and give it a try.

On the other hand, if you use Golem's method, you will definitely need to have those APN settings correct on your device.

I Have the latest version and when I disable APN, it gives me error message. zain zambia is providing this service with a license from blackberry, can this pose a complication as regards to APN settings as to which one to use? waiting to hear from you and thank you very much for your concern....