Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Yesterday I was too busy to post anything. But I had time to watch both ... Networking with PinStackers forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Advertisement

Yesterday I was too busy to post anything. But I had time to watch both of the games played.
    England gave a gutsy performance, showed character, to beat a fiery and reactive Sweden. Exciting stuff. Sweden was the 2nd team in this first qualification round to have to pack their bags and head home, but they still have one more game to play next week. Regardless of the result, their bus is ready for the journey...
    France also sent the Ukraine reeling. They showed quite some class and aplomb. The Ukraine tried very hard to turn the tide, and although France didn´t completely dominate the game, they were efficient enough to score twice in the 2nd half. The Ukraine, is still eyeing a miracle. In their last game they'll face England and if they win... while there´s life there is hope, so we'll have to wait for that game next week.
    Today was a turn around day for all teams. remember the favorites of this group ? Ir was supposed to be between Russia and Poland, leaving Greece and the Czech Republic to be just mere participants, and so it seemed until today, the last matches of this group, held at the same time (in different stadiums obviously.)
    Poland, the host nation, and lost to the Czechs 1-0, and these were dependent on a Greek win against Russia to go through to the next round. And Greece did beat Russia, one of the favorites, 1-0. Surprise of all surprises, Poland is gone now, and Russia will travel east, on their way home. After all the fighting on the streets between the fans of these countries, it´s good they´re gone.
    Soccer is a fabulous game. The ball rolls all ways... Greece and the Czech Republic will swear blindly by this. Well done. These teams will wait for the outcome of the matches tomorrow. Portugal vs Holland, Germany vs Denmark. they'll be facing two of these teams...

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    All this soccer is causing me to be s-l-o-w in publishing articles for you guys. But I must say, this is getting exciting, for me and the Portuguese fans. The group, reputedly the strongest of the Euro 2012, (Germany, Holland, Denmark and Portugal) played their last games of this qualifier for the quarter finals next week. Nail biting stuff for me. Germany had passed already, leaving the 2nd spot open to all the others, albeit with some conditions that are too many to mention, and for you to understand, here. Resumedly the day went like this:
    Germany beat Denmark 2-1, so even if Portugal lost they would qualify. But no, that´s not the way we want it to be.
    Holland started well and 11 minutes into the match were up 1-0. And then...
    The sexy football started. Well played, a joy to watch, great technical discipline and great technique from all the Portuguese players.
    They pushed Holland back for most part of the game. Quick passing, inverted passing, and Ronaldo decided, this time, not to disappoint. Eleven shots at goal, two hit the post. And two found the back of the net. What a great game. Just read the write ups on BBC and Sky as well as other TV channels, and you´ll get an unbiased picture.
    The quarter final matches are Germany vs Greece, The Czech Rep vs Portugal. next week, Thursday.
    Another day I´ll play truant on PS.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Another round of matches today.
    Spain, the World Champions of course, beat Croatia, a hopeful team dependent of the score of the other match between Italy and Ireland. No luck there. Italy was smooth in a rough game, and the Irish have left the competition without a single point for their efforts. Distressing for all those Irish fans.
    So forward go Spain and Italy to wait for the results of tomorrow's matches England vs Ukraine and France vs Sweden.
    Probably France and England will plow through.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    The games are about wrapped up in this group, a few minutes to go. French chauvinism didn't quite make it. Sweden, a side which was already out of the competition (this last game just to fulfill commitments) , put up a great display to dispatch the french 2-0. A great game, again, to watch.
    England beat The Ukraine ( a host nation) 1-0 with a fine goal by a rested Rooney - he was suspended, and that's why this was his first game. Ukraine did manage to score, and the ball fully crossed the goal line. Geez, 4 refs in the field, one of them write up next to the goals, and he didn't see it.
    Nothing much else to say about this game. Run of the mill...

Yesterday's refereeing also left much to be desired. It smells of "accommodation". I say it's pure blasphemy and grand crookery going on. Spain, on two separate and clear occasions fouled Croatian players in their area. Penalties ? Nope not one. Somehow, after this, this UEFA 2012 is all cooked up already. The final Michel Platini wants to see is Spain vs Germany. The other teams may as well pack up and go home. It's been determined.

Now, these teams will play yesterday's qualifiers. And what a romp we'll have in the quarter- finals.
    France will play Spain, and we have a classic - England vs Italy.
    Guess where I'm going to be?
    At home stuck to the TV... that's where. Warsaw and Kiev are too far away.
    Last edited by Delfim; 06-19-2012 at 05:54 PM.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Today is a no game day. All teams that have qualified for the quarter finals are preparing. It restarts tomorrow.
    Let me remind you of the games:
    Tomorrow, 21 June - Greece Vs Germany, Portugal Vs Czech Republic at 20H00 GMT
    Friday, 22 June - Spain vs France, England Vs Italy at 20H00 GMT
    Stay tuned.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Portugal beat the Czech Republic 1-0.
    My nail biting ended late in the 2nd half when Cristiano Ronaldo headed a goal after Moutinho crossed it perfectly. Ronaldo had hit the woodwork twice.
    Really a tactical game, both sides very wary of each other. The 1st half was a big bore.
    The during interval someone must have told the Portuguese players that they were far superior to the Czechs. Well, it worked and Portugal came out to smother and force the opposing team into a constant defensive game, tiring the Czechs after so much running after the ball. They only hoped for a counter attack, a break, which the Portuguese side never allowed.
    Lots of talent and class. Sexy soccer!
    Portugal now waits for the outcome of the weekend clash between France and Spain, to know who they play in the semis.
    Tomorrow we´ll see Samaras Vs Merkel ...oops, sorry I meant Greece Vs Germany.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Tonight will be a battle classic. David vs Goliath. Greece vs Germany. Not only because of the soccer, but also the social economic and political situation.
    There's more than a simple soccer game at play here.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    No battle classic at all.Germany just Panzered their way against a submissive Greece. The first half was painful to watch, Greece played so defensively. Besides all the German domination and countless attempts at scoring, they only managed one goal. After the interval and a changes to the tactics, Greece did show a reaction. The Germans were awestruck by this change of attitude and let the Greeks score. That lasted 7 minutes before the Germans pulled away again an took the score to 4-1. A penalty allowed the Greeks to pull one back and lend a respectful final score of 4-2.
    Germany waits now for the up and coming sunday match between Italy vs England.
    The Greeks travel south, back to their economic chaos.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I almost forgot to tell you about Spain vs France. France also forgot...how to play.
    Spain, as expected, dominated, organized, passed the ball tediously along, and finally the game ended with a 2-0 Spanish victory...
    Spain are favorites. Their game hasn't changed an iota since they were that last European champions in 2008. No team seems to be able to dismount the Spanish tactical game play. Some day, some team will...or as what happened in 2010, after Spain were World Champions in South Africa, and soon after Portugal took them down 4-0.
    I hope something close to that match will happen next wednesday when Spain meets Portugal for the first semi-final of this competition.
    I'm watching, and battling to keep a keen interest on the Italy Vs England game going on right now... I'll edit this post with the result soon after it ends. The winner of this match will play Germany in the other semi-final. See ya...

I'm back. You still there? I doubt it...
    Well that´s that. England is gone. But the game went into extra-time and then to penalties.
    Italy goes forward to meet their arch-rivals Germany.
    Now, I'm gone..
    Last edited by Delfim; 06-24-2012 at 06:28 PM.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Thanks for the updates Del. don't really care but glad you are so passionate about the game. Wheres the Rat?

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Raton GTalks with me ...I'm sure he reads this, but for some reason he's... gone PS lazy. Hey Rato?

Heck, this thread has quite a good response rate, doesn't it? I mean 830 views and 24 odd replies. Pity they´re all mine. Now you´ve come to join this effort...I´m not so lonely anymore.

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    I play Fifa on my Playstation. Does that count?

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    It means you like soccer. You should follow the competition, but I'm sure in the US it's not a prime sport .
    Thanks anyway Cap.

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    I played when I was younger.

All the other children feared me. I would eat the opposing teams orange wedges, embarrass their defense then make out with their sisters under the bleachers.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Today and tomorrow. Everyone rests. Wednesday 27 June, Spain Vs Portugal. That day, no one in Spain or here in Portugal rests. Before or after the game. This is an Iberian Clash.
    No joking, or else...this is serious business.
    Then Thursday, Italy Vs Germany. Restless day too in the household. Wife is Italian, that´s why...
    I´m running for the Xanax.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast