Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By RogerG

Is there a manual option to the thumbwheel and is there a remedy for the ... Networking with PinStackers forum

chascurrie no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbwheel unresponsive

Advertisement

Is there a manual option to the thumbwheel and is there a remedy for the thumbwheel being unresponsive?

CC

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Welcome to PinStack! Which device to you have? Sometimes if you push down firmly while turning the wheel (or trackball, depending on your device), that will loosen things up a bit.

Thanks for the quick reply. It is a Curve. Only used by children. I understand there are two types and not sure how to distinguish. The battery is a C-52 marking. I only called it a thumbwheel because I thought I saw it referred to as such. It is the scrolling button from what I can tell and my daughter has been told everything from battery removal to witchcraft. Are there not any manual options just in case this button stops working? Just like a t.v. that needs a remote, you'd like to know you have a back-up method.

Thanks
    Charlie

Okay, so it has a little ball in the middle of the device.....It's called a trackball. Older models of BlackBerrys had a trackWHEEL on the side of the device.

I have never done this myself, but you can remove and clean the trackball, or replace it completely.

Here are a couple of videos I found on cleaning:

Another video on how to replace:

Depending on where you live, you can get the trackballs in various places.

The location is the same, but it really is more of a square button with slightly rounded corner. Black plastic in the middle and metal around the entire thing.
    Thanks for the huge effort.

Ah, it's a trackPAD then. Newer device.

So have you tried the battery pull method? Tends to solve many niggling issues like that. With the device powered ON, remove the battery for a couple of minutes then reinsert the battery.

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    Was the device exposed to any moisture? If it was used outside in the rain, with wet hands or wet hair, or near a steamy shower, it could have moisture damage.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

The trackpad stopped working in mid-use. Never been exposed to moisture. Stopped dead and we will niggle and report back?

Seriously no alternate method to scroll?

How long have you had the device? They have a 1 year warranty.

KTW
    KTW no está en línea Stack level 5
    Try a battery pull and if that does not work then a factory reset but back up all your important data first...and welcome to pinstack

One year and one day. Just kidding.
    The niggling worked...the battery stayed out for a couple hours and now the Blackberry is working like a charm. Thanks a lot.

Charlie

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Battery pull can solve many of BlackBerrys little mysteries. Should always be your first line of defense. PinStack after that.
    jfcooley and lak611 like this.

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Battery pull can solve many of BlackBerrys little mysteries. Should always be your first line of defense. PinStack after that.
    When I used BlackBerry, the first thing I did when I had any problem was pull the battery.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611