Okay, so I have a theme that I downloaded that's a zipped file and will ... Networking with PinStackers forum

Phydeaux no está en línea Stack level 1

Setting up for OTA theme downloading

Okay, so I have a theme that I downloaded that's a zipped file and will throw the contents of which up on my site... I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that my Blackberry can't extract the files from the zip and automatically throw it into my selectable themes. Is there anything I have to do in particular to make this work?

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PM - Ask

Re: Setting up for OTA theme downloading

Phydeaux, Welcome to PinStack.

First what are you trying to do? An OTA install of that theme or just install the theme on you BB. Normally if it is ZIP file, it contains the .cod and .alx files for installing using Desktop Manager. Some contain the .jad file for OTA Installing also. But you are correct, The BB can't unzip the file for installation.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help with this problem or your BB.

You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional

Re: Setting up for OTA theme downloading

Hi Phydeaux,

This may help also.

To enable ota install on your web site look over the below text and it should help you understand what is needed in order to host ota files.

the .jad file is the starting point that you post as the link for people to point to with the BB browser. You'll also need to place all the .cod files onto the server. The .jad file is a package listing of all the files the OTA action will need to download-- so after you make .jad file set, do not change any filenames because they are all encoded in the .jad file. The number of .cod files depends on how many graphic elements your particular theme has. Some of mine had 4 and some had 10 .cod files.

the server needs to have some things enabled. I know that Apache servers are the preferred ones. You also need a file to tell the server how to handle requests. This is a .htaccess file. Note there is nothing preceeding the initial "dot" in the filename. The file needs to have this contents (build with a text-only editor like Notepad):

AddType text/ jad
    AddType application/vnd.rim.cod cod
    AddType application/java-archive jar
    AddType audio/adpcm adp

This file needs to be in every folder you create on the server with .jad and .cod files. Again, the file name is everything inside the quotes ".htaccess".

I have also found that you must use the OTA installation of the Theme Reader application for OTA themes to work. Seems like a bug but I repeated it in testing. So, upload them too and place a link for users to grab them.

the active link is to the themename.jad file

Note: Keyword search for later:

Hosting ota files