mzl.emrtsphs.320x480-75.jpg PingChat ID: oufanatic APPLE OWNERS This Link works for me as I do own ... Networking with PinStackers forum

sooner no está en línea Stack Professional

Thumbs up PingChat Universal Platform all Phones

Advertisement

mzl.emrtsphs.320x480-75.jpg

PingChat ID: oufanatic

APPLE OWNERS This Link works for me as I do own an iPhoneand is pluged in USB to PC.
    BB OWNERS I do believe you need to be pluged in USB cord for it to detect which device you have, I dont know as i dont own an BlackBerry.
    ANDROID OWNERS I do believe you need to be pluged in USB cord for it to detect which device you have, I dont know as i dont own an Android.

Text messaging is surely only still alive because operators make money from it, and because anyone with a contract has more free ones available than they know what to do with.

But already the system feels antiquated, especially now social networking is so prevalent and mobile devices can take the internet with them wherever they go.

Instant messengers are the natural evolution of SMS, but the one issue even the largest IM network has yet to match is the universal nature of a text message.

It can go from any phone to any other phone, regardless as to whether the user has signed up to anything. PingChat doesn’t exactly overcome this problem, but it does make an effort to ensure that you aren’t just communicating with people who have the same model of handset.

Cross-platform is one of the biggest selling points of this on-device instant messenger. The developer has a presence on all the major smartphones, and doesn’t care which one the sender and receiver is using.
    Similar apps are shackled by just such a restriction, and while it still requires both users are on the PingChat network, signing up is easier than any of its rivals.

Unusually, signing up for a PingChat account requires nothing more than a username. Choose one that’s not in use, and it’s yours until you decide to unregister it. No passwords, no handing over email addresses, no confirmations.

Once on the network, all you need is your friends’ PingChat username and you can begin firing messages back and forth of any length, for free.

Another strong feature is the option to hold conference chats, with multiple users all able to join the same conversation - great for arranging a night out without texting and calling everyone individually.

While it didn’t sound like much of a feature on the App Store listing, message delivery confirmation turns out to be a very important aspect of PingChat.

The system is happy to hold your messages in the cloud if the recipient is offline, and delivers them as soon as they return. Once your message has popped up on their screen, a small green tick is shown to confirm that the message has indeed landed.

PingChat also supports multimedia files, allowing you to send images, music, videos and such to the people you’re chatting with. While perhaps not the most efficient transfer method, it’s another occasionally useful evolution of the text message that’s handy to have on stock.

If you can coax all your friends onto the PingChat network, chances are your free text messages are going to go entirely unused. A great way to text across the mobile platforms that’s even simpler than sending a Tweet.
    Last edited by sooner; 12-15-2010 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Added links

iLord is DEAD!

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Got you added, sooner.

KEWL.

Now iPhone and BB users can chat, like we always wanted

iLord is DEAD!

Are you able to modify another user's profile? In other words, once I add a contact, I can view their profile and it shows a spot for their display name, but I can't put anything in it. I'm wonder if that's just my device or if those displays are dependent on the individual user.

Are you refering to picture, or to change my name on your device from oufanatic to sooner? I dont think so but I am looking into that as well. I thought by adding contact to address book with the name and pic u want but doesnt seem to work. I am looking into this as we speak. Even tho I have a HUGE test tonight I will look into it. Roger, how much was the app on the BB device?

iLord is DEAD!

Ok so in your address book add the contact name, and picture you want. Then go to PingChat and on the contact you want to change, at the top you have to start chating with someone, after you have sent a message and they have replied, then go back to the top of your chat and should be Link to address book, select it then pick the contact that you designated for them in your address book. At first mine didnt show I then rebooted and all is well.

iLord is DEAD!

Ah, so you have to have them in your address book for that to work? Interesting..... I thought you could at least change their display name, and I would think their user pic would be whatever they've assigned on their end. My username is rwgrosser, by the way.

The BlackBerry app is free. Is it not free on the iPhone?

I dont know if its free or not I dont get my apps from the apps store. But yes add a contact w a pic however you wish it to be displayed then in ping just add that user to add book. Oh by the way I be changing your name!

iLord is DEAD!

First post updated with Links.

iLord is DEAD!