View Poll Results: How great would it be if they made a PC version of BlackBerry Messanger

Voters
72. Register free to vote on this poll

50 69.44%
  • Could Care Less

18 25.00%
  • Dislike

4 5.56%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Originally Posted by andrebsd Oh yeah... I'm sure it's going to hurt alot when a ... Networking with PinStackers forum

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Re: Pc Version of BB messanger

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by andrebsd
    Oh yeah... I'm sure it's going to hurt alot when a PC user sends you a text message.
    You're missing the point. PIN's on BB's are unique to each device. Granting PC's the ability to mimic a valid PIN is a huge security issue (like spoofing an IP or IMEI or cloning a SIM card). PIN's aren't just used for BB Messenger.

IndoorGK00 no está en línea Stack level 2

I think there isn't as big a security risk as we think. On the BB messenger can't you add a contact via e-mail? I rarely give out my pin and almost always use add by e-mail. The only time I have ever given out my PIN is here at the Stacks! I think it would be awesome for a PC based BB Messenger for corporate use. You could have it use the BES so it would have access to BlackBerry Infastructure and the users would be added to the BES as a BB Messenger user only. The reason I think this would be a great tool for our executive secretaries to pin their bosses. Most of them have all their alerts off because they get so many emails and appoinment notifications. This way they could turn on alerts for Level 1 messages only. I think we can all think of a way this would be useful. Just my 2 cents worth.

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

well i know that if a pc version off bb mess was available, i would be one not to download it. security and the fact its call BB MESSENGER

j llama no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    4U2ASKME

can't you just use the JDE emulator do this?

zjfarmer no está en línea Stack level 3

I agree with the idea that BB Messenger is for BB and unique. I use MSN Messanger at work and using the BB Messanger on the PC would make is just like any other messanger.
    -- ZJ

"If men define situations as real, they are real in their consequences." - W.I. Thomas

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by lxpaz
    I think there isn't as big a security risk as we think. On the BB messenger can't you add a contact via e-mail?
    Thankfully security experts don't run just on the opnions of uninformed individuals...

Yes, you can add a contact via email but the contact must have a BB (with its unique PIN, of course) to use BBM. BBM does not use email for message delivery. It uses the PIN infrastructure.

_Bulz_Eye_ no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32c2287a

well what about they other messengers that already work the blackberry, (yahoo ect.)? don't they pose a threat?

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

^^No because the other messengers are not using PIN's as a basis for establishing messaging connection. So I don't see these programs as any threat.
    See the Official Latest OS threads updated regularly for All Devices.
    Forum Rules
    PinStack Trust Guide

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12