Hi,just stumbled across this very good forum. Having had BB`s for around three years, the ... Networking with PinStackers forum

bullit509 no está en línea Stack level 1

new UK member needing advice,

Advertisement

Hi,just stumbled across this very good forum. Having had BB`s for around three years, the latest being a 7100 i am due for an upgrade. question is shall i go for the pearl or the 8800?. My last BB was the larger type and i liked the keyboard better as i could use both thumbs.One question is does the maps work in the UK, and is this the same as our Sat Nav?.
    I have recently picked up a couple of bugs on my BB, when i turn it on it invites me to log onto a cam/web site! two of these come on, how do i get rid of them?
    Being new to this, i have just found my pin,202c2e81, did not know anything about this!
    Thanks.

gazar no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: new UK member needing advice,

Hi bullit509, welcome to pinstack

I have the pearl for about 6 weeks now, its a great phone!! the 8800 seems to basically a fat 8100 with a querty keyboard, The suretype on the pearl is easy when you get used to it and that doesnt take long.

I am with o2UK and My service books did not include bbmaps or Googlemaps, Once I can track down the right helpline(nightmare) I will ask.

Gaz.

tmag2005 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    250d3c8f

Peeps. also with O2-UK. good luck with finding answers to the questions from the Service Providers...They still think BlackBerrys are fruit you eat

The maps dont work here, or atleast i havent got them to work...

I agree about the lack of o2UK support, I have a couple of tel #,s

o2:- 08705860860, The guy just gets on the phone and asks someone else !

RIM europe:- 01753667000.or 333

I am trying to get opera mini and nuance voice control on my pearl,
    If you know what the correct o2 uk APN settings are please let me know cause o2 don.t !! LOL

Gaz
    Last edited by gazar; 02-20-2007 at 09:47 AM.

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Welcome to the Stacks Bullit509. How are you making out?

Sp@d3r no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    251ACEE8

The O2 APN settings are;

APN:mobile.o2.co.uk
    Username for APN: mobileweb
    Password for APN: password

If that doesn't work then change the Username to "faster" instead of "mobileweb". There seems to be some descrepancies over the username, one works for some whilst the other username works for others.

Googlemaps does work on the 8100 in the UK, it just doesn't provide travel updates, but I have used it several times whilst in london to get from A to B. To install googlemaps go to http://www.google.co.uk/gmm and follow instuctions from there. It'll be version 1.4.4 which works perfectly fine for the UK.

Another thing you should make sure is that if you aren't on a BES (which provides a decent browser) then contact your provider and ask them if you can have Blackberry Internet Browser or the BIS Browser, as you only get the WAP browser by default, which sux!! The shouldn't charge you for this.

If you need any other help with anything to do regarding BlackBerrys in the UK just PIN me.

Regards,
    Sp@d3r

Mucho Thanks Sp@dr.
    I have been trying to get the APN for 4 weeks !!. Ao2 Have been ignoring me concerning the APN settings, it seems they either don,t know or won,t tell you. Do you have the details of the best contact for o2 blackberry help ??

I will try this and hook up google maps as soon I get into signal area next week. and then I can try out opera mini and nuance voice control.

Thanks Gaz

Sp@d3r no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    251ACEE8

Gaz,

I don't have any contacts for O2 as I'm with vodafone, but I stumbled across the O2 APN settings when I was looking for the Vodafone APN settings earlier this year.

I needed the APN settings to install the Sky+ application that lets you set the Sky+ box to record from your BlackBerry.

I worked for RIM for while back in 2005 and I still have a couple of good friends who I can always rely on for help when I need a bit of advice.

If you need any other help with you Blackberry don't hesitate to contact me.

Regards,
    Sp@d3r

Thaks again Sp@d3r,
    I will be back in civilisation next week and I will see how things go.

Gaz.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

bullit509, Welcome to PinStack.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help with your BB.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

bullit509 no está en línea Stack level 1

Thanks for your help guys. i have been with t-mobile here in the uk for about 4 years and found them very good and help full so may stick with them, only problem is i the pearl is not available as a free upgrade yet!.
    Any one got any problems with viruses like i do on thier BB? how do you get rid of them, as soon as i turn the BB on i get invited to log on to a web cam site, i can only guess this was a bluetooth virus.
    Finally, for now anyway myBB does not filter spam,my home/ business pc pushes on all emails that it recieves so i get hundreds of emails that are junk. Is there a spam filter on a BB?
    thanks in advance.