My name is Bob, and I am kinda new to PDAs...I am currently with Verizon ... Networking with PinStackers forum

marsha7 no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs up New member

Advertisement

My name is Bob, and I am kinda new to PDAs...I am currently with Verizon and my cell phone is dying, so I am considering upgrading to the PDA/phone combo...

I am highly impressed with the 7130e (Verizon) but I must level with you that I am also considering the Palm 650/700 series...

I saw the 7105t at T-mobile, and liked it, but I am trying to stay with Verizon...if you have any comments on the quality of the service between Verizon's CDMA vs Cingular/TMobile GSM, I would like to hear them...

What I seek is a GREAT phone and the world's best speakerphone so I can place the unit in my shirt pocket or on the dashboard to use while I am driving, so as to keep both hands on the wheel...PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF ANY OF YOU USE THE UNIT THAT WAY AND IF THE PERFORMANCE IS SATISFACTORY FOR YOU...truthfully, all the PDA functions are worthless to me if the Blackberry cannot adequately handle voice dialing and speakerphone...

The TMobile rep also told me that the 7105t was upgraded because it is the only BB that has replaced the plastic screen cover with a scratch resistant glass screen...is this true, or have all the BBs been upgraded this way???

Lastly, (and I thank you for your patience), do BBs have optional voice dialing software THAT DOES NOT REQUIRE A MONTHLY FEE, like Handango does???...with the 650/700, it includes voice dialing, I am somewhat surprised that RIM does not see voice dialing as a necessary item to include, considering how good the remainder of the BB is...

Thanks for your help and I hope to be a worthy member...if anyone can offer any answers to my questions and concerns above, your help is appreciated...

Bob...

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: New member

Welcome to the Stacks. Hope you stay BB

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

The first thing you need to figure out is which carrier has the best signal in your area. Since you are currently with Verizon, I would test the 7130 against their previous model (I don't remember which one it is).

For voice dialing, the only models that are capable of this are Nextel's 7520 and 7100i, and Verizon's 7130e. Information can be found at https://www.mobilevoicecontrol.com/7520_index.aspx Up at the top, there is a drop down menu that lists compatible devices and when you click on "Purchase," that's where the order form shows the price. One year is going to cost $62.08.

Yes the 7105t was released due to the scratched screen issue related to the 7100t which I never experienced. LOL However, I do have 2 tiny scratches on my 7105t's screen that only I can see when the screen is on LOL I never had problems with the speakerphone or microphone when I had the 7100t. I never had any issues with the speaker on my 7105t.

I use messaging on my phone more than voice on my phone.

The 7130 uses SureType which is like predictive text. It learns words and letters as you keep typing. It can take a while if you're used to typing words out with no predictive text. It's also a smaller and more stable device than Treo's and, in my case, Pocket PC/Windows Mobile devices.

If you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask them and someone will help. Also, you can search for the answer but feel free to ask and answer any questions and welcome to Pinstack.

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~dont think you can get voice dialing on the BBs with tmo. Could be wrong, but haven't found anything that works. Have you considered blue tooth for hands free talking? I have never used the speaker phone on the 7100 with tmo.

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Hey Bob,

First off welcome to your next addiction...

Let's start with the Palm/Blackberry decision...You can browse around this site and see people who have owned both devices and their comments. The main difference that it seems between the two is bottom line reliability...You will see that a good amount of people on here do have problems with their devices, however you will also see that 90% of them are self inflicted problems, which are usually rectified within a few minutes. If you are wanting more detailed information on BB Vs. Treo, take a look around, there are a lot of threads on here about that very topic..

Second, the wireless providers...Depending on where you are located would probably want to determine which carrier you want to go with. T-Mobile has overall cheaper Internet services, voiceplans and better customer service (IMHO), but their coverage is also spotty in some places...

Speakerphone I use all of the time (8700 series). It is loud and crisp for the most part...At times I do have a little trouble hearing it in the car (Loud V6), but again, that would depend on the vehicle. If you are driving a 91 Civic, obviously cabin noise is going to be greater meaning it will be harder to hear the speaker.

As far as voice dialing, there are programs that you can get (Can't remember off the top of my head but I will find the link for it in a second and post it). I believe at one time only Nextel Blackberries had the ability to voice dial, however I am pretty sure that more have been added at this point.

There are going to be pluses and minuses to both devices, it just boils down to which fits you best. You are doing the right thing by taking your time, studying up and not making a quick jump of the gun decision. I am not sure if the 8700 device is too large for your liking, but you may want to also check in on that one.

Any other questions you have that you can't find the answers to, let us know and we will do our best to help ya...

N8

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Sorry to be Short N Sweet...Welcome!

Thanks to all for your quick replies...I will research BB v Treo as you suggest...
    Melissaox...I am trying to avoid Bluetooth, if possible...or maybe a better way to say it is that I want spkrphone that I can use and depend on, and then have Blue as a backup...I really want to just drop the unit in my shirt pocket and talk away, if the unit is sensitive enough in the mike and good enough in the loudspkr for talking and listening...

Bob

mrnoname no está en línea Stacker

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~hey marsha7 welcome to Pinstack. Hope you like it enough to stay around. Its a good place to find that information or solution you need. Not to mention its full of good people.

After searching thru some topics and reading responses, this board is certainly full of nice, helpful people...I am tired of folks who flame you just because you ask a critical question ("met" many of them on other types of boards, like photography boards and auto boards), but folks here seem genuinely helpful when someone asks a question about Treo or BB...I appreciate the helpfulness and the detailed answers...your caring helps...

Bob

mrnoname no está en línea Stacker

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Thats what we strive for here. Glad you are enjoying your stay.

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Check out this article...Pretty good review of the top 4 PDA's on the market today...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1932781,00.asp