Hi I'm new here. This year I bought an unlocked used 7280 for use in ... Networking with PinStackers forum

eyodis no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    200DD3C2

Question Is OS for unlocked different and where to get it?

Advertisement

Hi I'm new here. This year I bought an unlocked used 7280 for use in a remote location about as far east as you can go in Europe. I use it as a phone and organizer. I would like to update my OS (currently 3.7) to 4.0, but since I am a neophyte and don't understand this technology yet, I'm concerned that if I update OS with the Rogers/AT&T update that it could screw up the unlocked aspect of the phone... is that rediculous or could it actually happen? Secondly, I've scoured the internet and haven't found an OS update that doesn't make me swear I have a contract with one of the major wireless servers in North America or Western Europe. Do I need to lie to them to get this update? I currently have a SIM card from UMC (Ukraine/Russia). Any help anybody can be would be greatly appreciated - I look forward to exploring this site more and more. -eyodis

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Re: Is OS for unlocked different and where to get it?

http://www.dynoplex.com/rimos.shtml

Use whatever carrier OS you want, as long as you delete the vendor.xml file.

Just out of curiosity, what sites are telling you that you need to sign a contract in order to do an OS upgrade?

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

N8. The sites don't say you have to have a contract. But you do have to indicate that you are authorized by the carrier who's OS you want to download it. You read the Agreement each time before you downloaded all those OS files, didn't you?

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Ah..misread what he wrote.

Yeah, I read the fine print on the downloads.

Along with the directions to every single item I buy and try and put together.

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Riiiiight!
    You Ask, We Will Answer

PIN/ID
    200DD3C2

Smile Re: Is OS for unlocked different and where to get it?

hmmm... maybe reading isn't always a good thing . Actually, I bought a piece of software from Handango and I'm getting this message that says it can't install, because some files are missing. So I wrote to them and quoted the problem text box ("The Application "Ascendo Money" cannot be loaded because some required files are not available") and they told me everything I already knew. I went through their steps again, but it still didn't work. So I thought before I write them back and tell them they are full of hot air, I should try updating and see if that helps. Today I can't remember where it was it said to upgrade, perhaps in a FAQ sheet. Anyway, maybe that is stupid - again I'm still learning about this technology.

Maybe I should just write them back before upgrading and make them research it further.

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

eyodis, Does the Ascendo Money information on handango state that it is compatible with the 7280, or that it works with OS Ver 4.0? It might even state that it only works with OS 4.1 capable devices. Yes reading all the information available concerning system requirements is a good idea before plunking down money for any application. And I've not heard good thing about refunds from Handango.

Update,

I went and checked. It does list it for the 7280 but does not give any requirements. I would go ahead and update the OS, then try it again. It can't hurt and you can always go back to handango if it doesn't work.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

PIN/ID
    200DD3C2

Thumbs up It worked!

Thanks all for your good advice. The link you gave was better then the one I had tried before and thanks to you, I knew to delete the vender file. The upgrade then went smooth and ... after the upgrade it did install the AscendoMoney program.

I thought I had checked all the required specs before buying, and all turned out o.k. in the end. I sincerely appreciate the reminder.

Oh, and this time I didn't read the agreement for the os software quite as thoroughly as I did the first time .

Thanks for your help and thanks for making this first experience on the bb forum a positive one. I'll keep exploring the site and learning more as I go.

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Glad all this got sorted out and you are happy with your BB for now. I wonder how long it will be before you are itching to buy a newer Blackberry.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer