Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

No Matter what our car's MPG is .....if they Charge More for a gallon of ... Networking with PinStackers forum

GadgetProne no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Advertisement

No Matter what our car's MPG is .....if they Charge More for a gallon of Gas it will still hurt us in the pocket!

mnemerah no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by tgeekb View Post
    Me too. Just driving slower and less quick starts. Some people get pretty crazy with this stuff but I believe if you just use some common sense, you can improve gas mileage and save money.
    Just wanted to point out that while driving slower may be better for the environment, it doesn't necessarily save you money.
    For example, let's assume you need to travel 100mi in a car that gets 30mpg @ 55mph and 25mpg @ 75 mph.
    100mi@75mph@25mpg=1.33hrs/4gal
    100mi@55mph@30mpg=1.82hrs/3.3gal

Now let's assume you are paying $5/gal for gas and that your time is worth $10/hr.

You save .7 gal of fuel at a cost of .49 hrs.

.7gal@$5/gal=$3.50 saved
    .49hrs@$10/hr=$4.90 cost

You lose $1.40.

I've had a couple drinks so if there is a factor I'm missing please point it out.
    Basically what I'm saying is time is money and if something saves you money and costs you time you really need to analyze the situation and determine if its actually benefiting you.

mnemerah no está en línea Stack level 2
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Just wanted to add:
    This is obviously just in regards to driving slower. In my experience slower starts can make a surprising difference in mpg and don't have a noticable impact on drive times.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12