I have two quetions, one more important than the other. The important one . . ... Networking with PinStackers forum

Pumpkinhead no está en línea Stack level 1

Question How much Data in a PIN?

Advertisement

I have two quetions, one more important than the other.

The important one . . . in two parts:

How much data does a PIN message actually use? Yes, I know this depends on how long the message is, but let's just say a typical 200 character message. I am sure it is just some simple calculaton from character to bytes, but can anyone give me a ballpark?

Also, and I had never considered this until someone with a very limited plan asked me, when you reply to a PIN, are you including the entire conversation? Does this mean to conserve data you should "delete original text" every time? If so there really needs to be an option for it to do this automatically. It shoud just track the conversation like it does in SMS, showing the previous message in the thread.

Okay and my second question:

Does blackberry messenger just use PINs? Is it not just a front end to PINing to make it look like a messenger? If so, my first question becomes more relavant and I ask it again in regards to blakberry messenger.

Thanks!

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Re: How much Data in a PIN?

Hi Pumpkinhead,

I don't think PIN messenging counts toward Data use. If this is true do you still have those questions?

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Pumpkinhead, Welcome to PinStack.

Pin to Pin is counted as data, but unless you include file transfer in a message, there is very little data used. You can consider that each characater uses one byte of data, plus some overhead for the message header, and the Network Protocol header. I don't know exactly how big the Headers may be but I wouldn't think much larger that 32 or 64 Bytes. As to the previous messages, I don't think they are sent each time, as each participant of a PIN to PIN converstation can have different settings for the number included.

As to BB messenger, it is just an IM app that uses Pin to Pin Messages for transport.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help with this problem or your BB.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Pumpkinhead no está en línea Stack level 1

Hiya . . .

When I reply to a pin the previous message is there below my new message unless I choose "delete original text" just like in an email. I really do think that is being included in the pin. There is a header and everything below the new message just like in email.

If it wasn't forwarding on the whole previous conversation why would the "delete original text" even be an option? I'd really like a definitive answer to this question because my girlfriend is on a 512k plan and if we keep replying to the same pins and it gets larger and larger soon enough they are over 1k per message and 512 over a month is soon gone. Sounds paranoid, but it's a very small plan!

I'd also like to know if each message in a blackberry messenger conversation is like a fresh pin for the same reason.

Thanks for the response. if anyone knows for sure it would be greatly appreciated.

ofelas no está en línea Stack level 3

Yes, including the original text would obviously be a larger message than deleting the original text...